By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 14 Million, Switch Tops 94 Million - Global Hardware Oct 31 to Nov 6

trunkswd said:
Dulfite said:

A lot more, sure, but many industries are going to permanently stay remote or hybrid model, so I doubt we will ever have as many driving in USA again as we did (especially with our pending population decline due to a sub-2.1 birth ratio).

Regarding bad driving, I'd say part of the blame is lack of driving lately, for sure, but I'd say the bigger problem is police shortages. If people know they won't get pulled over, or that it's less likely, they are a lot more inclined to do stupid, illegal, and unsafe things. The police shortages won't go away anytime soon since the profession as a whole continues to get blamed for things individual officers do. Who wants that kind of hate in their life? The places hating on police the most (larger cities) also probably see the most accidents and crazy drivers due to their population size. Sadly, this problem isn't getting resolved soon.

Definitely far fewer commuters here in NY. A friend of mine is a train engineer and the rush hours during the week haven't returned to pre-pandemic levels. However, on the weekends the number is back up with people travelling to NYC. 

Isnt NY still under some sort of lockdown by vaccine mandate? I'm sure thats holding you guys back a bit. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

PS5 doing great. Hard to believe there are stock issue for PS5/Xbox but that's true.

Dulfite said:

You know what stinks about sales impacted by shortages? They don't get made up for in the future. Say people want a Switch now, but can't find one until June 2022. The device is now over half a year older, less new, less exciting. Maybe those people have lost their enthusiasm by then, or found another hobby they like more while they waited. Many will still have it, but a decent amount will have emotionally calmed down about the device. In truth, we will never know how well this gen could have sold because there are going to be millions, maybe even tens of millions of people that give up because they can't find a PS5/OLED Switch/Series XS/Steam Deck and spend their money on something else to amuse themselves.

We are already seeing this in other industries. I doubt movie theaters will ever bounce back to the numbers they once had annually. People drive a whole lot less now too, and fly a lot less. Hobbies change when you aren't able to do the thing you wanted in the first place.

I'm not sure if this applies if all consoles are in short supply.  A person could say, "PS5 is sold out, so I'll buy an XBox instead."  But XBox is sold out too.  So is the Switch.  There is really no alternative.

At the same time, a console is not like seeing a single movie.  When a person sees a movie that is 2 hours or so of entertainment.  When a person buys a console, that is years of entertainment.  Even if they don't buy one now, then they will probably buy one in the future if they plan to do any console gaming at all during the next few years.  Not buying a console ever would be more like someone saying, "All of the movie tickets for Spider-Man are sold out for opening weekend.  I'm never going to see another Marvel movie ever again."  That's actually a big boycott for something that is sold out for a limited time.

eva01beserk said:

Maybe for end of life products like the switch. 

We don't know for sure that Switch is an "end of life" product, it could potentially have several years left in it.

curl-6 said:
eva01beserk said:

Maybe for end of life products like the switch. 

We don't know for sure that Switch is an "end of life" product, it could potentially have several years left in it.

It might. But with just one midgen upgrade ever in the history of console gaming and now people expect it for everything. Like they did before they knew it was the oled. I think most people think since it dint get an upgradr is because the second gen is coming. I myself would like a switch 2 instead of a switch+. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
curl-6 said:

It might. But with just one midgen upgrade ever in the history of console gaming and now people expect it for everything. Like they did before they knew it was the oled. I think most people think since it dint get an upgradr is because the second gen is coming. I myself would like a switch 2 instead of a switch+. 

Nintendo portables have a long history of upgraded revisions; New 3DS, DSi, Gameboy Colour. It's still possible there'll be a "Switch Pro" in 2022, or maybe they'll just ride out the Switch as it is until 2023/2024. I still think it's a big shot in the dark to say the Switch is in its "end of life" phase when Nintendo has just reiterated that it's in the middle of its life.

curl-6 said:
eva01beserk said:

Nintendo portables have a long history of upgraded revisions; New 3DS, DSi, Gameboy Colour. It's still possible there'll be a "Switch Pro" in 2022, or maybe they'll just ride out the Switch as it is until 2023/2024. I still think it's a big shot in the dark to say the Switch is in its "end of life" phase when Nintendo has just reiterated that it's in the middle of its life.

I suppose so. 

Torpoleon said:

@spynx Surpassing the Game Boy isn't a surefire thing for the PS4 either. If it does surpass Game Boy, I can actually see the Switch do it before the PS4. In any case, I see the PS4 ending somewhere in the 117 million's. Maybe it will barely cross 118 million.

Hoping for a photo finish. Nintendo doesn't compete with anyone and in its own league.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies