By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

coolbeans said:
Darashiva said:

More hints:

#35:

• The main character's mistake at the start of the game leads to the death of his mother after she saves him from drowning.

• Lord of Calamity
  • Is set around a 1000 years before the previous game in the series

#35 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

No, though I suppose the hint could fit there as well. There seems to be a surprisingly large number of games like this for some reason.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

I wrote an overly long text about Sniper Elite 4, went away for a few minutes and it was suddenly gone. I'll redo it tomorrow.

Also here's a few hints:

#35: Decisions form your path, while death always looms over every of your steps. Weird death doesn't seem to want to keep still.

#34: The sequel to #35.

#35: The Walking Dead

#34: The Walking Dead Season 2

GoOnKid said:

More hints from me plus the one that hasn't been solved yet.

EDIT: I forgot to give a hint to the unsolved game.

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

HINT: In this game we learn that Toads love rock paper scissors so much that they even hold giant tournaments.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

36 - One fiery demon fights to obtain six powerful stones.

35 - This game introduced a fan favorite character that has a star as a pet. - guessed by Mnemeth

Here are the hints for another batch of games on my list to guess.

45. Overall I prefer the more linear games from this series, but I decided to remove "Bloodlines" from my list to make room for this game.

44.  I discovered this digital only tower defense game on the PS3 while I was waiting for some fun physical games to be released.

43.  This entry from a popular RPG series decided to use a game world that was previously only used in spinoff games from the series.

42.  I've always loved this PS3 sequel, but previously I didn't put it on my list.  I've considered it to be fairly similar to the first entry in the series which is much higher on my list.  Maybe the fact that the first game is now on Switch made me change my mind.

GoOnKid said:
Kakadu18 said:

I wrote an overly long text about Sniper Elite 4, went away for a few minutes and it was suddenly gone. I'll redo it tomorrow.

Also here's a few hints:

#35: Decisions form your path, while death always looms over every of your steps. Weird death doesn't seem to want to keep still.

GoOnKid said:

39 - At one point in this RPG you fight a giant steak as a boss and win by cooking it properly. Flattening it, seasoning with salt and pepper, lemon juice, then put it on the grill.

HINT: In this game we learn that Toads love rock paper scissors so much that they even hold giant tournaments.

38 - After a trilogy of events with one certain spiky haired protagonist in a blue suit, here comes the follow up with a new protagonist.

37 - Lots and lots of superheroes fight in various constellations to obtain six powerful stones.

35 - This game introduced a fan favorite character that has a star as a pet. - guessed by Mnemeth

Is 37 Marvel Super Heroes?

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are the hints for another batch of games on my list to guess.

45. Overall I prefer the more linear games from this series, but I decided to remove "Bloodlines" from my list to make room for this game.

44.  I discovered this digital only tower defense game on the PS3 while I was waiting for some fun physical games to be released.

43.  This entry from a popular RPG series decided to use a game world that was previously only used in spinoff games from the series.

42.  I've always loved this PS3 sequel, but previously I didn't put it on my list.  I've considered it to be fairly similar to the first entry in the series which is much higher on my list.  Maybe the fact that the first game is now on Switch made me change my mind.

43. Final Fantasy XII

The_Liquid_Laser said:
GoOnKid said:

GoOnKid said:

Is 37 Marvel Super Heroes?

No, but pretty close.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Kakadu18 said:

Also here's a few hints:

GoOnKid said:

Correct.

#39: Sniper Elite 4

I like fast paced shooters where you go in with guns blazing. But I also like games like this, where stealth is encouraged. The higher difficulty settings some great challenge, especially in survival mode.

The gyro aiming is very intuitive and makes precision aiming easier. Another great thing about the Switch port specifically is the use of the HD rumble with you being able to feel your pulse.

The expansive maps allow for some really long missions with plenty of nazis to kill in various ways with several objectives per map. The story isn't very important nor interesting.

What I like especially is this:

This one's the best:

Sniper Elite 4 is a fun head popping game full of exploding intestines.

Guessed by TruckOSaurus

For a while it looked like the 7th Generation of Video Games for would be all about peripherals for me. Obviously, there was the Wii, built around peripherals and motion control and I played it a lot, but there was also 'Guitar Hero'. With this game you could feel awesome, as if you were the greatest guitar player in the world. I even got a real guitar, a very cool looking one, but I soon found out that playing actual guitar in real life is very hard. Especially on the level of the songs in the game, which is borderline impossible if you asked me.

Once there was a demo unit of Guitar Hero III on my campus. So when I and a couple of my friends happened to walk by, I noticed this and blurted out that I was the number 2000 of the world in this game. This was likely not true, because there's a lot of caveats, like what the particular leaderboard was for, how many people actually played online, and what region it was and whatever but I had glimpsed my name at around the number 2000 in something for a second. Apparently this sudden outburst made an impact, probably because it was so ridiculous, and I still haven't heard the end of it.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 24 November 2021

A Plague Tale: Innocence

YoY: NEW

Unquestionably one of my favourite games from the last few years, A Plague Tale: Innocence is a brilliant example of a studio using limited resources to their absolute limit and creating something exceptional. The setting alone is beautiful in its bleakness, and in many ways it is among the most gorgeous games of recent times thanks to its excellent art design. The stealth and combat gameplay are a little on the simple side, but are still satisfying regardless, the story that combines wonderfully written tragic tales with elements of the supernatural is great, and the main character Amicia ended up becoming one of my favourite video game protagonists. I also love how impressively tense the developers managed to script the stealth sections, where it feels like you're just on the verge of getting caught right before you manage to slip past the enemy.

The only real blemish the game had was the final boss battle, which was just kind of frustrating. Otherwise, however, I have very little negative to say about A Plague Tale. The dark, hopeless atmosphere contrasted with moments of joy and happiness, the bittersweet story, and wonderful music make this a great game, and I'm very eagerly waiting for the sequel to release, hopefully next year.

New hint for #33, and repost of hint #34. #35 has since been guessed.

#35: People already live here even though this building is still under construction.

Hint 2: And they work there, shop there, eat there, go into the subway there, go to the doctor there, and more things. SimTower - Guessed by kenjab

#34: You must keep the pope happy or else the inquisitors will come for your family.

Hint 2: Those guys are pretty unfair. Your characters need to have a really high piety to survive if an inquisitor targets him.

#33: Being chased by the antagonist makes it look like this game is in the  survival horror genre, but it's not really.