By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC – 2015)

It took me some time to really delve into this game. Picked it up in 2016, based on the positive reception. Had a hard time getting into it, I probably was a bit impatient. To be fair, it can seem a bit overwhelming with all the different systems the game teaches you from items to magic to potions to crafting to upgrades etc etc. This is still my only real issue with the game, there is so much stuff you can keep track of, and a lot of it is not that deeply utilized in the game. But you quickly learn how much attention you need to dedicate to all this stuff, and in the end it actually is not that much. Once you are a few hours into the game the basic mechanics are settled, and the World turns into a playground for you. But not the kind of generic sandbox experience a lot of games deliver. The World of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is absolutely packed with content. There is so much depth to the story, the characters, the side-quests and every little part of the map, it truly is impressive. Some people like to criticize the combat, but personally I enjoyed that a lot as well! The Witcher 3 is really one of the finest open world experiences you can get!

Around the Network

6. Portal 2 (PC/Xbox 360 – 2011)

This game is peak Valve! Super intelligent game design, with intriguing puzzles, fantastic production values, a great story with hilarious characters and voice acting. The pacing of this game is really spot on. I like Portal 1, but it kind of felt like a demo, Portal 2 is a much bigger game, and a masterpiece at that. I have no complaints really. People are asking for a Portal 3, which I am sure would be cool, but I do not think it is needed, Portal 2 is already perfect and comes to a satisfying conclusion. It is not like Half-Life that left us on a cliffhanger, which is still waiting to be resolved 14 years later.

New hint for 11 and 7.

11: Unlike the first game in the series, this 2nd game has turn based RPG combat much like Pokemon. Unlike Pokemon it is 3v3 combat, and lots of fusion like Persona.

Famous mascot characters include a yellow dinosaur and a blue dragon like monster. But of course you can choose between 195 monsters. You can join 1 of 3 different teams Blue Falcon, Gold Hawk, or Black Sword.

This game is part of a media franchise that used to rival Pokemon in the 90s, popularity has since waned comparatively.

7. This game introduced Dual wielding. Nothing like double Needling an enemy and then they explode. The promotional cover art often features the main character dual wielding.

Farsala said:

New hint for 11 and 7.

11: Unlike the first game in the series, this 2nd game has turn based RPG combat much like Pokemon. Unlike Pokemon it is 3v3 combat, and lots of fusion like Persona.

Famous mascot characters include a yellow dinosaur and a blue dragon like monster. But of course you can choose between 195 monsters. You can join 1 of 3 different teams Blue Falcon, Gold Hawk, or Black Sword.

This game is part of a media franchise that used to rival Pokemon in the 90s, popularity has since waned comparatively.

7. This game introduced Dual wielding. Nothing like double Needling an enemy and then they explode. The promotional cover art often features the main character dual wielding.

#11: Digimon World 2

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

#9: Ori and the Will of the Wisps

While a bit weaker than Ori and the Blind Forest in it's narrative,

I have a really hard time trying to understand what makes people say this. Like, I genuinely can't see anything about the story that isn't as good or better, yet I see so many people saying it was underwhelming. It certainly impacted me more than Blind Forest, significantly so, but I guess it's always personal and different for everyone how much a story impacts them.

Anyways, I'm back. Hope y'all had a great christmas.

#6 - It has the best horse in gaming.

Shadow of the Colossus?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Farsala said:

New hint for 11 and 7.

#11: Digimon World 2

Correct

Machina said:
Farsala said:

New hint for 11 and 7.

7 - Halo 2.

Correct

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

I have a really hard time trying to understand what makes people say this. Like, I genuinely can't see anything about the story that isn't as good or better, yet I see so many people saying it was underwhelming. It certainly impacted me more than Blind Forest, significantly so, but I guess it's always personal and different for everyone how much a story impacts them.

Dynasty Warriors 9?

haha jk

My real guess is Red Dead Redemption 2.

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

I think in Ori and the Blind Forest Kuro is the centrepiece of the narrative. In her pursuit for revenge and to stop Ori she follows Ori throughout the game and in the end she wasn't actually the pure evil she was made out to be and gets redeemed in a perfect way. In Ori and the Will of the Wisps Shriek kinda isn't really redeemable anymore. The ending was incredibly sad, when she seeked shelter and died under her parent's remains, but it just didn't touch me nearly as much as the ending in Blind Forest did.

Will of the Wisps' story was still very good but I think Blind Forest's story just hit the mark better.

14. This game features an outfit for the main character that the main character from a previous game wore.

Hint#2 it is a turn-based rpg

S.Peelman said:
drbunnig said:

Well you've already got Breath of the Wild there too at #10, and my knowledge of the plot of handheld titles isn't as good. A Link Between Worlds?

Sadly;

The_Liquid_Laser said:

5.  Link's Awakening?

Link's Awakening is right!

See I had thought Link's Awakening, but I couldn't see how it fit the clue, until I just re-read it. It all makes sense now. D'oh!

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)

YoY: -1

Final Fantasy VIII is the game that truly introduced me to both the series itself and JRPGs in general. I think I had briefly tried some JRPGs on the SNES before (Breath of Fire comes to mind), but because I never owned an SNES myself I had never really had the chance to properly experience them at my own pace. I had gotten a PS1 for Christmas 1998, and then the following year I saw one of my friends play FF VIII and was instantly intrigued. I still even remember the exact moment in the game as well. It was the SeeD final exam in Dollet, and specifically the moment when the party is attacked by the Anacondaur enemy on the way to the radio tower.

I then got the game for myself that Christmas, and while I got a few other games as well, it was Final Fantasy VIII that I immediately put into the console to play. When the first notes of Liberi Fatali hit during the opening cinematic, I was hooked. It was unlike anything I had ever seen in video games up to that point. There are countless moments in this game that have stayed with me to this day, from the landing on Dollet, to the dance scene, the assassination attempt, the battle of the Gardens, finding Ragnarok in space, and so many more. I know FF VIII has a very divisive reputation among the series' fans, but to me it is unquestionably one of the best games in the series, and easily on par with the likes of FF VI and VII.