By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

50 - Joe & Mac
49 - Pokemon Sword/Shield
48 - Minecraft
47 - Guitar Hero II
46 - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
45 - Portal
44 - Rock Band 2
43 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Resident Evil 4
40 - The Messenger
39 - Axiom Verge
38 - Terraria
37 - Demon's Souls Remastered
36 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
35 - Final Fantasy IX
34 - Pokemon Red/Blue
33 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
31 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
30 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
29 - Final Fantasy VIII
28 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
27 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
26 - Pokemon Black/White

25 - The original forgot to have any frames. the remaster fixed all that but still wasn't enough to please hardcore fans.
24 - 30 stars, 20 red coins, 5 flowers per level.
23 - The Woodworking tool you get from the dentist is the strongest and best in the series.
22 - Down, Y, Down, Down, Y. Now go play with the animals.
21 - The fourth entry in this series is a sequel-boot to a series I actually hated prior to this entry (I think someone guessed it already but that was like 30 pages ago)
20 - While this was not just a dream, it wasn't real.

19 - Zero is not your enemy.
18 - This is a mainline entry that takes place in the same world as a spinoff from the franchise.
17 - You can only get the Golden Chip Armor if you avoided getting any chip upgrades but DID manage to get everything else.
16 - Seriously, people, that awkward laugh was awkward on purpose. Stop making jokes about it.
15 - I may be biased, but this game taking place in the Northern [H]hemisphere made me feel nostalgic before it even released.
14 - That poor dinosaur. Why did you have to sacrifice him for your own selfish gains?
13 - Earn the gold and you'll be given a seat at the round table.
12 - Four poison swamp areas? Are you freakin' kidding me?! (all jokes aside, I don't mind the poison swamps)
11 - This game, bless its heart, finally got its last DLC recently and is the ultimate version of its franchise. (Yeah, an easy hint but still)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

50 - Joe & Mac
49 - Pokemon Sword/Shield
48 - Minecraft
47 - Guitar Hero II
46 - New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
45 - Portal
44 - Rock Band 2
43 - Red Dead Redemption
42 - Mega Man X4
41 - Resident Evil 4
40 - The Messenger
39 - Axiom Verge
38 - Terraria
37 - Demon's Souls Remastered
36 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
35 - Final Fantasy IX
34 - Pokemon Red/Blue
33 - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
32 - Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
31 - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
30 - Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
29 - Final Fantasy VIII
28 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
27 - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
26 - Pokemon Black/White

25 - The original forgot to have any frames. the remaster fixed all that but still wasn't enough to please hardcore fans.
24 - 30 stars, 20 red coins, 5 flowers per level.
23 - The Woodworking tool you get from the dentist is the strongest and best in the series.
22 - Down, Y, Down, Down, Y. Now go play with the animals.
21 - The fourth entry in this series is a sequel-boot to a series I actually hated prior to this entry (I think someone guessed it already but that was like 30 pages ago)
20 - While this was not just a dream, it wasn't real.

19 - Zero is not your enemy.
18 - This is a mainline entry that takes place in the same world as a spinoff from the franchise.
17 - You can only get the Golden Chip Armor if you avoided getting any chip upgrades but DID manage to get everything else.
16 - Seriously, people, that awkward laugh was awkward on purpose. Stop making jokes about it.
15 - I may be biased, but this game taking place in the Northern [H]hemisphere made me feel nostalgic before it even released.
14 - That poor dinosaur. Why did you have to sacrifice him for your own selfish gains?
13 - Earn the gold and you'll be given a seat at the round table.
12 - Four poison swamp areas? Are you freakin' kidding me?! (all jokes aside, I don't mind the poison swamps)
11 - This game, bless its heart, finally got its last DLC recently and is the ultimate version of its franchise. (Yeah, an easy hint but still)

#18 - Final Fantasy XII?

#16 - The laugh thing makes me think of Final Fantasy X

Spoiler!
The hint for #20 also kinda makes me think of FFX, though I don't remember much the details of the dream part in that game.
Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 21 December 2021

Guessed by drbunnig

Speaking of humorous games, 'Theme Hospital' is the king of them all. Development started out a lot more serious though. The aim at first was to make a realistic hospital management game, with real diseases and problems and real administrating. But then someone figured; "that's no fun, let's make something ridiculous". That's probably not the real quote, but I imagine that's how it went. I guess they got depressed from the heavy material or something, but luckily the end result is anything but depressing.

Really the only thing about this game that is kind of stressful are the epidemics. From a couple levels in, there will be an emergency every once in a while where a helicopter drops off a handful of patients with a certain disease that need to be cured within a time limit or else they die. And people dying is bad. But that's not the epidemic yet. A couple levels further on, some patients arriving are contagious and infect other patients around the hospital which you have to vaccinate so infections get under control or else they die. And people dying is bad. Then, if you're unlucky, you get both at once, and people die.

Machina said:

#7 - What I love about this game is the sense of speed and momentum you get from the platforming being in first person. The better you are, the less you'll be hindered by various obstacles, and more you're able to maintain that sense of momentum. The art style has always stuck with me too - the colour palette just really struck a chord with me for some reason.

Mirror's Edge.

Okay so #9 is guessed and for #8 Mario+Rabbids was suggested but this was not correct. I'll add #7.

#9: The final game in this franchise that included a number in its name.

Hint 2: At least this time it's just the actual number and not one with a few zeroes added to it.

Hint 3: This was also the last game in the series which the developer had full control over, because they were bought by a certain publisher (who did already publish this game though), and it shows. It really shows, because the sequels are an insult to the first four games. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser - SimCity 4

#8: Halfway through one part right after you jump you can turn right and visit a location from another game.

Hint 2: And it's a nice looking castle.

#7: This sequel, like the original, was created in assembly completely by one guy.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are the final rankings for guesses on my games.  Mnementh is the clear winner!  S.Peelman and coolbeans also guessed a significant amount of my games.  Congratulations!  This probably means you've played a whole lot of older games like I have, lol.

Correct GuessesPerson
13Mnementh
7coolbeans, S.Peelman
4Kakadu18, TruckOSaurus, Darashiva
3Eric2048
2GoOnKid, drbunnig, UnderwaterFunktown
1Farsala, Runa216

Shared Silver, I'll take it. Good job Mnementh!

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

7 - Spelunky II?

Nope. Well, maybe this is also what the hint says but it’s not the game I’m looking for in any case.

mZuzek said:

Okay, last hint. Maybe.

#11 - The area names in this game follow the alphabetical order with their initials.
Hint 2 - Beware of the "strongest stuff in the universe". It's overwhelming power. Accept your helplessness.
Hint 3 - In this game, you finally get to interact with living members of a species long thought extinct.

Metroid Dread. Accept your helplessness should have done it already, but I only got it with the Chozo hint.

S.Peelman said:

Okay so #9 is guessed and for #8 Mario+Rabbids was suggested but this was not correct. I'll add #7.

Hint 2: At least this time it's just the actual number and not one with a few zeroes added to it.

Hint 3: This was also the last game in the series which the developer had full control over, because they were bought by a certain publisher (who did already publish this game though), and it shows. It really shows, because the sequels are an insult to the first four games. Guessed by The_Liquid_Laser - SimCity 4

#8: Halfway through one part right after you jump you can turn right and visit a location from another game.

#7: This sequel, like the original, was created in assembly completely by one guy.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Here are the final rankings for guesses on my games.  Mnementh is the clear winner!  S.Peelman and coolbeans also guessed a significant amount of my games.  Congratulations!  This probably means you've played a whole lot of older games like I have, lol.

Correct GuessesPerson
13Mnementh
7coolbeans, S.Peelman
4Kakadu18, TruckOSaurus, Darashiva
3Eric2048
2GoOnKid, drbunnig, UnderwaterFunktown
1Farsala, Runa216

Shared Silver, I'll take it. Good job Mnementh!

8.  Super Mario Galaxy 2?

7.  Roller Coaster Tycoon 2?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
S.Peelman said:

8.  Super Mario Galaxy 2?

7.  Roller Coaster Tycoon 2?

8: Also not it, but a tiny bit warmer than Mario+Rabbids was. As in, this is Nintendo developed, M+R wasn’t.

7: This is correct! The awesome Chris Sawyer. Though he did had help from two others for sound and sprite work.

S.Peelman said:

Is #8 Mario Kart 64. You can visit Peach's castle in one of the tracks.