By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Zippy6 said:
S.Peelman said:

Extra hints, and a hint for the game #44.

#47: It looks like you stranded on a lovely island, if it weren't for that bird.

Hint 2: The centrepiece of this island is a large tower with what looks like a big keyhole.

Hint 3: At the end though, there's quite the twist, when it seems like this island wasn't actually real, and was just in the mind of the one that mourns you. So sad.

#44: In Europe this game came three years after the original release in Japan, but it became a massive phenomenon nonetheless.

#44 is Pokemon Red/Blue?

Even with 3 hints no idea on #47!

There's still time before day 47, and maybe a fourth hint.

44 though.. is right! Blue to be precise.

Around the Network

Alright, next set of hints.

#45: Nod

#44: Burn some resin to find a lost fleet in the jungle, find a knife there, use it in a temple to find a the location of a lost city in the mountains, finally get to the city, all in order to discover a stone, and realize that the Nazis still got there first.

#43: There are around 40 playable characters in the game, but you can recruit around 60 other characters to your cause in addition.

#42: So many rats.

#41: Originally a Dreamcast RPG, later also on the PS2, PC, and most recently, the Switch.

Darashiva said:

#44: Burn some resin to find a lost fleet in the jungle, find a knife there, use it in a temple to find a the location of a lost city in the mountains, finally get to the city, all in order to discover a stone, and realize that the Nazis still got there first.

#43: There are around 40 playable characters in the game, but you can recruit around 60 other characters to your cause in addition.

#41: Originally a Dreamcast RPG, later also on the PS2, PC, and most recently, the Switch.

#42 has to be Plague Tale lol.

Darashiva said:

#44 sounds like something Indiana Jones related.

Machina said:
Zippy6 said:

Hint: Very fast with lots of pixels! A highly definitive racer that defies physics.
Supplementary Hint: There's a clue in the hint to the specific title of the game.
Guessed by: Nobody

Man the pixels thing threw me off, that's why I guessed one of the older WipEouts.

WipEout HD was amazing though.

Yeah I guess "Lots of pixels" makes most people think of pixelart or low-res games, when really it means the opposite.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Darashiva said:

#44 sounds like something Indiana Jones related.

Well, you're not too far off. As coolbeans guessed, it's Uncharted 2.

coolbeans said:

#45 = Not sure

#44 = Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

#43 = Valkyria Chronicles (?)

#42 = A Plague Tale: Innocence

#41 = Grandia II (?)

Correct on 44, 42 and 41.

mZuzek said:

Guessed by @coolbeans

Biomutant was a game that was there for only one thing: making me happy. For most of the time I was playing it, it was one of those games I would turn on and just have a smile in my face until the moment I put it down. There's something about its atmosphere, everything is shown in such a childlike way, it feels magical and quiet and just nice to be in. The game has its fair share of critics, and it is mostly justified, as it does get more and more repetitive the deeper in you go and in the end it's impossible not to feel like it had a ton of wasted potential. On the other hand, it's truly amazing that such a small team managed to put together such a beautiful and vast world to explore, and I hope it did well enough to make way for a potential sequel, because it can be truly amazing. Either way, I have no regrets about the time I spent with this. Conquering the world with the Ankati tribe was fun.

Top 50 >>

As soon as you gave the narator hint I knew it was Biomutant.

The blackbox 'Soccer' game probably isn't the #49 greatest game ever made, but a small handful of games on my list gain their right to be here in large part due to the nostalgia factor. "Blackbox" by the way, refers to the style of the game boxes of a series of NES games, of which the boxes were black with pixelated in-game sprites on the cover instead of some nice drawn art; others like this include Super Mario Bros., Ice Climbers and Wild Gunman. 'Soccer' is one of the earliest games I played, and I used to play it a lot with my oldest cousin on my aunt's NES.

The game, in all its simplicity, is fun though. Because the NES controller has only two buttons and a d-pad, you can only pass, or shoot in the general direction of the opponent's goal and move in eight directions. The goalkeeper moves around according to the movement of your currently active player, which makes him stand in the most ridiculous spots but luckily the ball moves quite slowly giving you time to move the goalie back into the ball's trajectory. But anyway, all this doesn't matter. It's about the laughs, and it gave us plenty of those.

I love the variety so far, other than Wipeout. All I think of when I see that title is that cheesy contest show, I guess the game is better lol.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 14 November 2021

#48: Tetris 99

I love Tetris. What makes Tetris 99 especially great is the variety of modes apart from the standard online 99 mode. The team mode is an especially cool idea that doesn't necessarily change how you play, but it's still really interesting.
Then there's the big block DLC stuff like the endless mode, which is basically the original Tetris.

It also just got alot of character, the soundtrack is great and unlocking new designs and icons by finishing the challenges is satisfying.

Even though I'm actually pretty bad at the game I got highly addicted to it and played the crap out of it for over 200 hours, and never won in solo mode (I'm bad).

Now I still come back to every special event to get all special designs. And it never gets less fun, despite me always losing.

Tetris' infinite replayability makes it one of my favorites and this one gives it an extra layer of excitement and challenge.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 November 2021