By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo Reducing Switch Production 20% - Chip Shortage

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Media-Entertainment/Nintendo-to-make-20-fewer-Switch-consoles-due-to-chip-crunch

"Nintendo will only be able to produce about 24 million units of its popular Switch game console in the fiscal year through March, 20% below an original plan, Nikkei has learned.

Its production has been held up by shortages of semiconductors and other electronic parts amid strong demand for Switch, including for its latest version released on Oct. "

Around the Network

Damn. The 3 big console makers will continue to sell gangbusters throughout their consoles lifetimes, but with the chip shortage to continue going into the latter half of next year, you can't help but wonder what actual sales numbers would look like if supply met demand.

Did they Officially say 24 million or is this insider information? If they did say 24million it's Nintendo and they like being conservative.

ShadowLink93 said:

Did they Officially say 24 million or is this insider information? If they did say 24million it's Nintendo and they like being conservative.

The only official figure we have from Nintendo is they forecast 25 million shipped this fiscal year. The 30 million figure was from Nikkei which I don't believe. Why would they forecast 25 million when planning to make 30 million?

This 20% reduction and 24 million figure is also from Nikkei, not Nintendo.

Zippy6 said:
ShadowLink93 said:

The only official figure we have from Nintendo is they forecast 25 million shipped this fiscal year. The 30 million figure was from Nikkei which I don't believe. Why would they forecast 25 million when planning to make 30 million?

This 20% reduction and 24 million figure is also from Nikkei, not Nintendo.

So it’s basically that Nikkei heard about shortage and they guessed the forecast reduction on their own prediction.

Around the Network

I think the title is a bit misleading since this is insider information, we will find out if it's true like tomorrow

xMetroid said:

I think the title is a bit misleading since this is insider information, we will find out if it's true like tomorrow

Yeah Nintendo will either lower their forecast or not from the 25m. But the previous 30m figure they gave was already too high for Nintendo's own forecast.

If Nintendo lower their forecast on Thursday this will be true if not then just speculation from Nikkei.

xMetroid said:

Yeah, I think you are right.  This seems like information that they would need to tell their investors (assuming it is true).

If true it Could be worse, they could be struggling to produce 14m like PS5 or even less for the Xbox series.