By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Staff Writers Wanted: Deadline November 3, 2021 [Applications Closed]

Tagged games:

TheWalrusCaesar said:

Potentially interested but how frequent do you want writers to post?

As much as the writing god demands.  Your soul will belong to Him now.



Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Machina said:

On the controversy point: I'm perfectly fine publishing a potentially controvserial piece or something I personally disagree with, just as long as the argument is well made & justifed, and you're not just trying to court controversy for the sake of it.

On the stubborn point: we do still use the old system of copy and content editing, so you need to be open to constructive feedback from your fellow writers. And of course you'd need to be comfortable using our scoring system.

Oh, I never had any sort of problem with the copy and content edits. it's a great way to ensure a balance between personal opinions and not going off the deep end on random tangents. My controversy was always with actively arguing with people who got pissy at me for giving Dead Space III a  5.4 or Final Fantasy XIII-2 a 5.2, even though now that we look back those were horribly contentious games and my reviews weren't as outlandish as people thought. 

And Politics here on the forum. 

The actual reviews were never a problem. And I won't be reviewing Xbox games since I lack an Xbox Series X, so that won't be an issue (I'm famously critical of Xbox). so yeah, I genuinely doubt it'll be a problem if I do reapply. I've matured a lot and been more thoroughly exposed to the internet since I last reviewed for the site so I have fewer scruples concerning random internet people bitching at me about my scores. I'd have no issues being professional now that I write for a living and am more accustomed to having some occasionally hilariously bad feedback from certain groups. 

I'd like to reapply, but only if you genuinely think I'd be a productive member of the team. Like I said, I write for a living as it is and do occasionally still do game reviews and I have a PS5 as well as a Switch (and despite being critical of them I am genuinely excited for the future of Xbox so I'll be getting one of those about halfway through the generation, to). But I'm not going to bother if nobody wants me around, which I'd totally understand given my past history. 

What's your discord so we can chat in private? 

I'm not sure there's anyone left on the review team from back then who'd remember you, besides myself, and I've no objections.

So yeah, I'd encourage you to send in an application.



Machina said:
Runa216 said:

Oh, I never had any sort of problem with the copy and content edits. it's a great way to ensure a balance between personal opinions and not going off the deep end on random tangents. My controversy was always with actively arguing with people who got pissy at me for giving Dead Space III a  5.4 or Final Fantasy XIII-2 a 5.2, even though now that we look back those were horribly contentious games and my reviews weren't as outlandish as people thought. 

And Politics here on the forum. 

The actual reviews were never a problem. And I won't be reviewing Xbox games since I lack an Xbox Series X, so that won't be an issue (I'm famously critical of Xbox). so yeah, I genuinely doubt it'll be a problem if I do reapply. I've matured a lot and been more thoroughly exposed to the internet since I last reviewed for the site so I have fewer scruples concerning random internet people bitching at me about my scores. I'd have no issues being professional now that I write for a living and am more accustomed to having some occasionally hilariously bad feedback from certain groups. 

I'd like to reapply, but only if you genuinely think I'd be a productive member of the team. Like I said, I write for a living as it is and do occasionally still do game reviews and I have a PS5 as well as a Switch (and despite being critical of them I am genuinely excited for the future of Xbox so I'll be getting one of those about halfway through the generation, to). But I'm not going to bother if nobody wants me around, which I'd totally understand given my past history. 

What's your discord so we can chat in private? 

I'm not sure there's anyone left on the review team from back then who'd remember you, besides myself, and I've no objections.

So yeah, I'd encourage you to send in an application.

It seems like the problem isn't one concerning the editorial process, but one of negative feedback, my answer to that is reviewers must have faith in there reviews but also be open to criticism a thick skin helps and realise that sometimes restraining ones self from answering every negative post is for the best, this is where the more mature Runa216 comes in, I would also like to offer another suggestion that is if you feel your review lets say by way of a much lower score than the norm has become extremely contentious, by all means continue but let the team know that if that occurs, you are open to a counter point being included but the review stands.

Machina it maybe an idea to solicit new writers by PMing those members who may not have put themselves forward but whose posting/ writing you like it may bring in one or two extra.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 26 October 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

A while back I made some Spanish reviews. Could I translate/adapt them to fulfill the sample request?



pariz said:

A while back I made some Spanish reviews. Could I translate/adapt them to fulfill the sample request?

Absolutely. As long as it's in English, you can definitely use an older review as your sample.



Around the Network

Submitted one. Sometimes my emails dont go through so just wanted to send here to clarify



TheWalrusCaesar said:

Submitted one. Sometimes my emails dont go through so just wanted to send here to clarify

I haven't received an e-mail from you, at least not yet. You could always PM me the contents of the e-mail if you like.



Machina said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

Submitted one. Sometimes my emails dont go through so just wanted to send here to clarify

I haven't received an e-mail from you, at least not yet. You could always PM me the contents of the e-mail if you like.

My review is in pdf form, is there a way to send that through PMs here? Not sure why my email is so weird lately



TheWalrusCaesar said:
Machina said:

I haven't received an e-mail from you, at least not yet. You could always PM me the contents of the e-mail if you like.

My review is in pdf form, is there a way to send that through PMs here? Not sure why my email is so weird lately

I don't believe so, no. 



TheWalrusCaesar said:
Machina said:

I haven't received an e-mail from you, at least not yet. You could always PM me the contents of the e-mail if you like.

My review is in pdf form, is there a way to send that through PMs here? Not sure why my email is so weird lately

If you wrote the original file you should be able to edit it. copy and paste the details from the PDF and paste it into notepad, then copy and paste it again onto a new .doc or .rtf file. 



My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4