By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New Staff Writers Wanted: Deadline November 3, 2021 [Applications Closed]

Tagged games:

Threads like this remind me of the past too lol.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

I'm banned on discord, would this effect my application or does my writing do the job for me?

Sir, I'm banned on discord... lol.  You should give it a shot - things can be sorted out later.

Does Naz still work here? He was the reason I gradually phased myself out in 2013/2014. I loved doing the reviews (Even when people argued over the score), but Naz just made the place feel like a hostile work environment and just made every interaction with him feel like an anxiety-inducing nightmare.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

VAMatt said:

What happens if someone says "I'll review X" then either takes too long to turn in a review, or simply doesn't get the game for whatever reason?

Also, while you mentioned that there is no quota, what happens if you go a few months without writing any reviews?

I ask these questions because I am theoretically interested in writing for VGC. But, I have a family with a young child, and I own and operate a business. Sometimes I have extremely busy periods where there is zero chance that I'd be able to write quality reviews, and little chance that I could write opinion pieces. It is often difficult for me to forecast when an extremely busy period will occur. So, I have some concerns about whether I'd be helpful, or more of a hinderance.

To add to Evan's reply regarding your second question - nothing happens if you go a few months without writing review. Though if we're talking around a year then, unless the writer has spoken to me about it, I'll probably assume they've moved on and will remove them from the team. Anyone leaving on good terms is usually welcome to return at any time though; they just need to get in touch with one of us and ask.

Runa216 said:

Does Naz still work here? He was the reason I gradually phased myself out in 2013/2014. I loved doing the reviews (Even when people argued over the score), but Naz just made the place feel like a hostile work environment and just made every interaction with him feel like an anxiety-inducing nightmare.

I must say I never felt that way about him when I was working under him. Forgive me for saying this but I think you may have clashed because aspects of your personalities are quite similar - you're both very firm in your views and stubborn :P

But yeah, Naz stepped aside several years ago. Evan and I lead the review team now, although things are pretty relaxed and major decisions tend to be made by majority voting on Discord or the staff forums.

Machina said:
VAMatt said:

What happens if someone says "I'll review X" then either takes too long to turn in a review, or simply doesn't get the game for whatever reason?

Also, while you mentioned that there is no quota, what happens if you go a few months without writing any reviews?

I ask these questions because I am theoretically interested in writing for VGC. But, I have a family with a young child, and I own and operate a business. Sometimes I have extremely busy periods where there is zero chance that I'd be able to write quality reviews, and little chance that I could write opinion pieces. It is often difficult for me to forecast when an extremely busy period will occur. So, I have some concerns about whether I'd be helpful, or more of a hinderance.

To add to Evan's reply regarding your second question - nothing happens if you go a few months without writing review. Though if we're talking around a year then, unless the writer has spoken to me about it, I'll probably assume they've moved on and will remove them from the team. Anyone leaving on good terms is usually welcome to return at any time though; they just need to get in touch with one of us and ask.

Runa216 said:

I must say I never felt that way about him when I was working under him. Forgive me for saying this but I think you may have clashed because aspects of your personalities are quite similar - you're both very firm in your views and stubborn :P

But yeah, Naz stepped aside several years ago. Evan and I lead the review team now, although things are pretty relaxed and major decisions tend to be made by majority voting on Discord or the staff forums.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm considering reapplying - as I said I did really enjoy the work and the opportunities - but I'm really not sure if I'm welcome given my...stubborn nature and tendency to be controversial in a few key topics/areas. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I'm considering reapplying - as I said I did really enjoy the work and the opportunities - but I'm really not sure if I'm welcome given my...stubborn nature and tendency to be controversial in a few key topics/areas. 

Don't worry if you're welcome or not, pursue it if you desire.  There are always going to be haters, just ignore them, variety is a good thing.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Runa216 said:

On the controversy point: I'm perfectly fine publishing a potentially controvserial piece or something I personally disagree with, just as long as the argument is well made & justifed, and you're not just trying to court controversy for the sake of it.

On the stubborn point: we do still use the old system of copy and content editing, so you need to be open to constructive feedback from your fellow writers. And of course you'd need to be comfortable using our scoring system.

sounds interesting!! I get positive comments on my writing a lot, who knows, maybe I'll give it a go if I have the time

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Machina said:
Runa216 said:

On the controversy point: I'm perfectly fine publishing a potentially controvserial piece or something I personally disagree with, just as long as the argument is well made & justifed, and you're not just trying to court controversy for the sake of it.

On the stubborn point: we do still use the old system of copy and content editing, so you need to be open to constructive feedback from your fellow writers. And of course you'd need to be comfortable using our scoring system.

Oh, I never had any sort of problem with the copy and content edits. it's a great way to ensure a balance between personal opinions and not going off the deep end on random tangents. My controversy was always with actively arguing with people who got pissy at me for giving Dead Space III a  5.4 or Final Fantasy XIII-2 a 5.2, even though now that we look back those were horribly contentious games and my reviews weren't as outlandish as people thought. 

And Politics here on the forum. 

The actual reviews were never a problem. And I won't be reviewing Xbox games since I lack an Xbox Series X, so that won't be an issue (I'm famously critical of Xbox). so yeah, I genuinely doubt it'll be a problem if I do reapply. I've matured a lot and been more thoroughly exposed to the internet since I last reviewed for the site so I have fewer scruples concerning random internet people bitching at me about my scores. I'd have no issues being professional now that I write for a living and am more accustomed to having some occasionally hilariously bad feedback from certain groups. 

I'd like to reapply, but only if you genuinely think I'd be a productive member of the team. Like I said, I write for a living as it is and do occasionally still do game reviews and I have a PS5 as well as a Switch (and despite being critical of them I am genuinely excited for the future of Xbox so I'll be getting one of those about halfway through the generation, to). But I'm not going to bother if nobody wants me around, which I'd totally understand given my past history. 

What's your discord so we can chat in private? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

Top 6 this generation: 

DroidKnight said:
Runa216 said:

Don't worry if you're welcome or not, pursue it if you desire.  There are always going to be haters, just ignore them, variety is a good thing.

I appreciate the encouragement, but it goes a bit deeper. I actually did review for the site between 2011 and 2013/2014, there was some friction between me and a handful of people who didn't like some of my low-scoring reviews, and I argued a lot. I love doing game review and I write for a living now (fantasy erotica, if you're curious), so I'm more mature in terms of people criticising my work, but I do still tend to have somewhat outlandish views on a handful of games. 

Oh, and I STILL get review codes offered to me via my email somehow. I think they failed to cut off my VGC email address, so all the automatically-generated emails out to press got sent to it and forwarded to my Gmail account. fun stuff. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

Top 6 this generation: