By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dying Light on Nintendo Switch Tech Review - Another Miracle Mobile Port?

Up until last year, that would be a great port. Now with the Kingdom Hearts Cloud thing, every great port will be considered as a miracle

Around the Network

It's a miracle it's on the switch, but I don't want to play titles like that on it, too much compromise. I'm ready for Switch 2.

padib said:

Impressive!

That's what is expected from the leading platform. Glad Switch gets treated like this rather than with shovelware like the Wii had to deal with.

Not only that, but I believe the whole package is all on one card! This is the kind of effort that gets me to buy it immediately rather than waiting for a good sale.

Zippy6 said:

It's a miracle it's on the switch, but I don't want to play titles like that on it, too much compromise. I'm ready for Switch 2.

Actually there are less compromises than usual

"Another Miracle Mobile Port?"

It drops to low 20-25 fps at night.
it has no motion blur, to help offset the low fps, and it then appears more jerky/stuttering than other versions (that run more solid 30s).

its impressive its as close to the PS4 as it is, in terms of graphics... but theres still plenty of tradeoffs.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

it has no motion blur, to help offset the low fps, and it then appears more jerky/stuttering than other versions (that run more solid 30s).

its impressive its as close to the PS4 as it is, in terms of graphics... but theres still plenty of tradeoffs.

That's not really what they say.

At night it can go as low as 24fps, but overal the game runs at 30-36fps. The jerkyness comes with the fact that the game runs actually above 30fps (30-36fps), but will be fixed with a 30fps lock patch.

I wouldn't go so far as to say a "miracle" but this is well above my expectations in terms of image quality and framerate, and definitely one of the most impressive Switch ports of an 8th gen console game to date. It's a massive open world title that pushed even PS4 and Xbox One fairly hard, so the devs did a very admirable job is nipping and tucking to get the best experience possible on much less powerful hardware.

JRPGfan said:

The lowest it dropped in their footage of night was 24fps briefly, so 24-30fps would be more accurate. For reference, the Xbox One version also drops below 30fps.

You also have to bear in mind the hardware in question; PS4 is a 2.8kg box drawing 130-160 watts, Switch is weighs about 290 grams and draws 11 watts. Of course a dedicated console from 2013 is going to have more raw power than a portable device from 2017.

The devs obviously had to make tough calls as to how to bridge this divide, and I think they did a great job.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2021

curl-6 said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say a "miracle" but this is well above my expectations in terms of image quality and framerate, and definitely one of the most impressive Switch ports of an 8th gen console game to date. It's a massive open world title that pushed even PS4 and Xbox One fairly hard, so the devs did a very admirable job is nipping and tucking to get the best experience possible on much less powerful hardware.

JRPGfan said:

The lowest it dropped in their footage of night was 24fps briefly, so 24-30fps would be more accurate. For reference, the Xbox One version also drops below 30fps.

You also have to bear in mind the hardware in question; PS4 is a 2.8kg box drawing 130-160 watts, Switch is weighs about 290 grams and draws 11 watts. Of course a dedicated console from 2013 is going to have more raw power than a portable device from 2017.

The devs obviously had to make tough calls as to how to bridge this divide, and I think they did a great job.

PS4 Slim is more like 55-110 watts.
PS4 pro, can hit 160watts.

Also a docked Switch can go over 20watts.

Considering it uses so much less power, I agree, visuals in terms of its power consumption is great.

JRPGfan said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 Slim is more like 55-110 watts.
PS4 pro, can hit 160watts.

Also a docked Switch can go over 20watts.

Considering it uses so much less power, I agree, visuals in terms of its power consumption is great.

The figures I've seen are all under 20 watts, but the thing to remember with Switch in docked in some of that power can be going towards charging the main battery and Joycon batteries, so it'll be lower if it's just running a game.

But yeah, the devs did a really admirable job in my view and I hope people vote with their wallets and support this conversion. I can't really think of anything they could've done better besides an optional 30fps cap, which they may well add as they have seen the video and said they'll continue to work on the game.

I really think this is up there with Witcher 3 in terms of impressive Switch ports of demanding PS4/Xbone games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 October 2021

A patch was released today and it includes a 30fps cap and improvements to handheld resolution. I think this may be my favorite Switch port.