By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - With rumored FIFA brand de-centralizing from EA, would you want console exclusive FIFA football games?

The potential splitting of FIFA and EA has popped up recently with EA seeming ready to go all 'EA F.C 2023' and FIFA giving its branding elsewhere and what not. This kind of reminds me of Star Wars, though certainly with a different context. 

Everyone's pondering what other FIFA games might come out and if it might be like how there used to be a ton of Football/American Football/Hockey/etc games in the old days, and I have a specific thought. Epic is one of the companies that has come up in possibly having their own football game, and I'm curious about the console holders. With Playstation already sort of being that with baseball and with how much FIFA sells, I wonder if they would have any interest in wanting 'Sony Football 20XX'. 

Of course if Sony can get a permit to do so, X-Box may also follow as a direct competitor. 

...Probably not Nintendo, as much as I think it may be the best way to actually get a FIFA type game on the system that doesn't give IGN a chance to be snarky every year. 

IDK, you think it likely at all? I mean we can all gripe on the console makers, but they have the money and reasons to put in the effort for FIFA that would otherwise belong to Activision, Ubisoft, Epic, etc etc who are probably agreed to be worse by us all. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

I highly doubt any company would touch that IP at 1 billion, never mind going against EA's 'FIFA'.

Whatever EA releases will be the same FIFA to everyone who buys those games minus the name.

EA is just posturing so FIFA doesn't raise their licencing fees. They don't really intend to change the name. At least that's what i think.

The only football game I've been interested in was mario strikers charged football.

Why do you want to limit yourself to FIFA, when you can have this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAwOW-5ucM

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Basically no chance. Sony already tried with This is Football, I enjoyed the games actually, but they clearly weren't selling well enough to be worth continuing. I don't see why being able to pay a billion dollars to name them FIFA instead (and having to basically recreate them from scratch since any code they have left from 2005? would be severely outdated) would make them want to try again.

Honestly it sounds to me like people don't understand how little the FIFA licence means. Literally anybody can make a football game and try to get licencing agreements with leagues/teams/players with or without the licence, it's not the MLB or whatever where nobody else is allowed to make baseball games featuring the top teams. People can already. EA have most of those leagues/teams tied up in exclusive deals already, them losing the FIFA licence wouldn't change that and those deals are part of the reason why Winning Eleven has declined so massively over the years (it's also Konami, so there's undoubtedly other reasons too). Companies tried a decade + ago to compete with EA, and with the exception of Konami none of them stuck around (although not sure how much longer they'll last) and nobody else has really tried since. Why would literally just a name being available for a billion dollars over 4 years make anybody want to try again? If a company were willing to invest some serious cash then yeah, they probably could compete with EA, but they've been able to do that all along and nobody's been willing to do so.

Try asking Konami how well scrubbing the FIFA name worked for them.

Nothing is going to happen. Both sides have way too much to lose from a breakup, with very little to gain.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

As someone who doesn't like Soccer. Sports games have become a joke since 2005. With this idea, only one company can make a series and one series and in MLBs case console exclusive for years. It's stupid. Go back to the 90s and early 2000s when anyone could use the license for their own game. Sim or arcade. Madden to Backyard Football or NFL Blitz. NBA 2k or NBA Jam. Why does everything have to be so stale of the same bad sim game re-released for 8 years before starting a new cycle?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Don't EA own the rights, or at least have a licensing agreement, for a bunch of teams/players? It wouldn't be worth it for any publisher or platform holder if that is the case.