By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom making PC its main platform going forward

Kyuu said:
kazuyamishima said:

Nintendo paid like six million dollar for the console exclusive. 

Where did you get that from? 6 million is nothing.

It was part of the massive Capcom hack that happened last year.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
gtotheunit91 said:

It was part of the massive Capcom hack that happened last year.

I thought that was with regard to delaying the PC version. Nintendo would have to pay a lot more to permanently keep it off Playstation and Xbox IF Capcom's intention was to release it on all platforms.

No idea since that was the only info that was leaked. I'm assuming Capcom and Nintendo just have that much of a good relationship since the last several Monster Hunter games before World were exclusive on Nintendo platforms with MH 4 only being on the 3DS, which is shocking to think considering how insanely huge the franchise is now.

It's entirely possible it could've been a 2 year console exclusivity agreement.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing (I'll leave that up to others to decide), but to me, its yet another signal that the console industry I grew up loving is quickly becoming something I don't really recognize.

I remember back in like '03, someone made a thread asking what age everyone would quit gaming. I laughed and said something like maybe forty. Someone quoted me and said something to the affect of, "Pfft. You know you'll be gaming into your seventies like the rest of us." At the time, I thought he was nuts, but then I thought about it again, and realized that maybe he was right. There really was no reason to quit. As long as you enjoy it, why not just do it until you're dead, regardless of age?

But that was naive, and I now see why.

Back then, we were still plug-and-play. Twitch wasn't a thing. Gaming magazines were still around. Console online-only games barely existed (may not have existed at all). The primary way to buy games was to go into a real store, buy a "complete" game for forty or fifty dollars, then bring it home, pop it in and play. Single-player was king. Multiplayer was--for the most part--local. DLC was so infantile, that no one even cared about it. Same with micro-transactions. Games worked day-one without patches. Consoles as well. AAA games were exploding with creativity (and were rewarded for it in sales). Generational leaps were quantum and absolutely mind-blowing. E3 was so massive that the entire gaming community paused on its axis to observe it. Consoles dropped in price very quickly. Demo disks were still a thing. The Japanese gaming industry (Capcom, Konami, Square etc.) was thriving and a premier force in the industry--you get the point.

Now, to say that one is better than the other is fruitless. What I prefer is what I prefer. If someone prefers the current industry, that's perfectly fine with me. But the point I'm trying to make here is that what I fell in love with (see above), is pretty much dead and gone. Even how Nintendo operates these days seems alien compared to their Gamecube days. It's like the only thing the current gaming industry has in common with the pre-PS3 industry is that it's still called a gaming industry--and that really bums me out, because if things keep going this way, I'm going to end up having to play old consoles and old games for the rest of my life.

Ugh...

Can we jus have Mega Man Legends farmed out to a capable developer? I don’t even need it to be amazing. Heck, I’d take ports of the first two games in all their PS1 glory.

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Translation: "We want to make games with cutting edge graphics, but people in Japan don't really want a PS5 or Series X|S."

I mean, Capcom's quotes are so straight-forward that this translation isn't even necessary.

It's brave to expect PC gaming to be the next big thing in Japan.

Hey, PC gaming is the future.  It only needed about 4 decades of runway before it could really take off. 

Around the Network

So Microsoft is buying Capcom? I'm calling it now.

xl-klaudkil said:

I highly doubt a game like monster hunter (rise)will sell a lot more on pc then even the switch alone(no idea why the game is not on xbox and playstation .

I think he ment it more like they want to make sure both console and the pc version of there games come out the same time and same quallity.

I don't really see that as being the case, because the majority of articles so far have been stating that they basically want to improve their PC side of things, which is likely coming down to port quality and more releases, not "we're going to keep things 50/50 with consoles and PC and enforce console parity on PC ports". 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Translation: "We want to make games with cutting edge graphics, but people in Japan don't really want a PS5 or Series X|S."

I mean, Capcom's quotes are so straight-forward that this translation isn't even necessary.

It's brave to expect PC gaming to be the next big thing in Japan.

I'm a PC gamer, but jokes apart, I simply think Capcom just wants to please its new market as much as possible, with a thing that comes for free: PS and XB have become basically PCs, so offering better performances on better specced (a lot better, as goddamm Windows eats a lot of resources) PCs comes naturally, as long as games engines are scalable.
About Japan in particular, many Japanese have a PC, if NS has become the only console most of them use, PC becomes an interesting platform for any game that's not a best seller on NS. Probably more Japanese now have a tablet, and surely far more have a phone, but Android and iOS are horrible platforms for games with high HW requirements and high dev costs, mobile gamers are cheap and they like cheap or even better free games (except then possibly spending more than for a full priced games in premium contents and items if they get caught in F2P games that exploit very well obsessive-compulsive mechanisms).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I saw a tweet about this, didn't think much of it. To me it simply translates to them wanting to push their RE Engine farther faster. If they target PCs, then we'll probably see even closer to photorealistic graphics (and this makes me drool when I think about Monster Hunter!) faster then if they target console development. This COULD mean that the console ports will get worse, but at the same time, having a major gaming company focus on PC might help push the entire industry forward.

Ergo, when the consoles can't keep up with what they do on PCs, it would mean the midgen or next gen consoles would then push the hardware envelope further than the current gen ones (which primarily have advantages due to SSDs, as the actual power output is not nearly as many orders of magnitude stronger than the last gen when comparing gen-to-gen leaps in performance).

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/