By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware September 12-18 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Climb

Quite a nice bump for PS5/XBS. Do we have reason to believe that both PS5 & XBS production was bumped up this week?

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Around the Network

Last week Xbox Series was at 7,196,265 total. 151,276 plus that is 7,347,541? @trunkswd

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

trunkswd said:
DroidKnight said:

Last week Xbox Series was at 7,196,265 total. 151,276 plus that is 7,347,541? @trunkswd

Adjustments were made in the US as we got some NPD estimates. Xbox Series X|S and Switch were adjusted down, while PS5 was adjusted up. 

Ahh, thanks.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Switch holds steady despite a drop in Japan, as America and Europe pick up the slack.

Nice to see all three platforms thriving.

Here we go, if it's not a false start, the best season for gaming is starting again. NS still dominates, but competitors start warming up their engines.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Switch is down almost 8% YoY.  For those not paying attention that may seem like Switch peaked last year.  However, last year's holiday was pretty poor for Switch in terms of software releases.  I'm expecting Switch to be up YoY by the end of December.  I think once the OLED model releases we'll start seeing a noticeable difference in Switch sales, and Pokemon will drive momentum further.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is down almost 8% YoY.  For those not paying attention that may seem like Switch peaked last year.  However, last year's holiday was pretty poor for Switch in terms of software releases.  I'm expecting Switch to be up YoY by the end of December.  I think once the OLED model releases we'll start seeing a noticeable difference in Switch sales, and Pokemon will drive momentum further.

I'm still uncertain on this.

On the one hand yeah, 2020 had no big holiday game, but the system was still riding the Animal Crossing tsunami.

This year it has a bit less momentum, but stronger holiday games, though nothing as big as, say, Smash in 2018 or getting its first new Pokémon in 2019.

Could go either way I reckon.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 September 2021

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm still uncertain on this.

On the one hand yeah, 2020 had no big holiday game, but the system was still riding the Animal Crossing tsunami.

This year it has a bit less momentum, but stronger holiday games, though nothing as big as, say, Smash in 2018 or getting its first new Pokémon in 2019.

Could go either way I reckon.

This year has something big.  It has new hardware.  Even in the worst case, new hardware will increase sales for several months.  Look at the Switch Lite.  It's not nearly as popular as the base model even in Japan which favors handheld systems.  However, there was a very noticeable boost in sales when it released in 2019.  

OLED model is going to boost sales, and the Pokemon game is a much bigger deal than anything 2020 had in its holiday quarter.  That 8% deficit compared to last year is going to be erased pretty quickly.