By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic vs Apple- Judge rules partly in favor of both Epic and Apple, but mostly Apple

shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah, this seems like a win-win to me. Epic doesn't get to put their shitty store on iOS so that they can fleece mobile game developers for a percentage like Apple does. Mobile developers can use links to 3rd party payment options to avoid giving Apple 30% of their profits. The only people that lose here are Apple, Epic, and Fortnite fans on iOS since Sweeney is still refusing to allow Fortnite back on iOS, but who really cares about Fortnite fans anyway xD

Lol exactly. Hell the implications of this for Apple is further reaching than just game developers. Spotify Premium? Gone. Youtube Premium? Out. The list goes on. This is gonna be one huge blow to Apple imo considering how prevalent in-app purchases really are but we will see how it all turns out.

People at Spotify are already celebrating and want more.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/10/spotify-happy-epic-vs-apple-ruling-wants-more-apple-legislation/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I think this is pretty huge for Epic and other developers as a whole. I think everyone knew that Epic wasn't going to win the monopoly nonsense or being able to get their store on iOS. But the fact that they can now direct users to use their own payment platform for in-app purchases is nuts. The most popular mobile games these days all have in-app purchases with Gacha based systems and what not. And Apple gets 30% of each transaction. Now, app developers can get users to do their in-app purchasing through their own payment platforms which means Apple will no longer be getting the 30% of each transaction.

Considering how popular Free to Play games are with in app purchases, that's nuts! If Apple lets Fortnite back in with these rules, Epic would make the money they owe Apple in no time and it will be pretty big implications for the rest of the industry. Even games like Call of Duty have in app purchases for their battle pass and such.

But I am sure it will get appealed.

I think we're definitely going to see some industry rule changes being made, because there's no way on earth, that Apple and everyone else are just going to host everything for free, allowing multiple parties to make money within their own gardens and not having to pay a dime, there's going to be some form of cost somewhere along the line. Any sane person wouldn't host anything for free without asking for something in return. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I think this is pretty huge for Epic and other developers as a whole. I think everyone knew that Epic wasn't going to win the monopoly nonsense or being able to get their store on iOS. But the fact that they can now direct users to use their own payment platform for in-app purchases is nuts. The most popular mobile games these days all have in-app purchases with Gacha based systems and what not. And Apple gets 30% of each transaction. Now, app developers can get users to do their in-app purchasing through their own payment platforms which means Apple will no longer be getting the 30% of each transaction.

Considering how popular Free to Play games are with in app purchases, that's nuts! If Apple lets Fortnite back in with these rules, Epic would make the money they owe Apple in no time and it will be pretty big implications for the rest of the industry. Even games like Call of Duty have in app purchases for their battle pass and such.

But I am sure it will get appealed.

I think we're definitely going to see some industry rule changes being made, because there's no way on earth, that Apple and everyone else are just going to host everything for free, allowing multiple parties to make money within their own gardens and not having to pay a dime, there's going to be some form of cost somewhere along the line. Any sane person wouldn't host anything for free without asking for something in return. 

Yea I will be interested to see how it turns out but I get the feeling it's gonna be like this:

Most companies are probably gonna keep their rate the same as it is if the user chooses app devs payment platform but if they choose to pay with apple pay, they are going to increase the rate by 30% thus more profit for more companies... For better or for worse.

Epic was basically asking Apple for all their limbs and the judge just gave Epic a leg and told Apple they can keep the rest. Sure Apple gets to keep the rest of it's limbs but I think Apple would have rather kept the leg as well.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Apple won, but Epic won on the one point that they actually wanted, the option to have a way to regulate payments outside the store thereby avoiding the 30% fee.

Captain_Yuri said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, this seems like a win-win to me. Epic doesn't get to put their shitty store on iOS so that they can fleece mobile game developers for a percentage like Apple does. Mobile developers can use links to 3rd party payment options to avoid giving Apple 30% of their profits. The only people that lose here are Apple, Epic, and Fortnite fans on iOS since Sweeney is still refusing to allow Fortnite back on iOS, but who really cares about Fortnite fans anyway xD

Lol exactly. Hell the implications of this for Apple is further reaching than just game developers. Spotify Premium? Gone. Youtube Premium? Out. The list goes on. This is gonna be one huge blow to Apple imo considering how prevalent in-app purchases really are but we will see how it all turns out.

People at Spotify are already celebrating and want more.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/10/spotify-happy-epic-vs-apple-ruling-wants-more-apple-legislation/

Both of them definitely win and lose. But thinking of the bigger picture perhaps the real winner is small developers that will get to choose the cheapest option to collect payment because let's be honest, the big companies like Epic and Apple collect money from their stores while small app creators will have to shop around for a company that collects their money for the least amount possible. Now, I wonder if this will indirectly affect Sony and MS and their platform stores.

Around the Network

It is actually a win for Epic and others since now they can have their purchase as they intended, they just have to pay back what was on the contract for a time (and 3M is pocket change to them) without even fines.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Rhonin the wizard said:

Here is the court document.

From page 68:

Under all models, Apple would be entitled to a commission or licensing fee, even if IAP was optional.

This part seems to be getting ignored, with people talking about Apple's 30% cut now able to be bypassed.
That's nominally for payment processing, but the real going rate for that is around 10%.
So with above ruliing, Apple will open up payment processor of choice, but just tack on 20% commission.
They may be happy to dump own payment processor at that point, since that isn't really profitable on it's own with 10%.
It was really all about the bonus commission they imposed atop a normal payment processing business. And they keep that.

Here is a video of a corporate lawyer going over the decision.

2 hours and 26 minutes?

Is Epic begging for Fortnite return to iOS yet?