By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Psychonauts 2 is outstanding!!

I've read both that the game will not be receiving a native PS5 update and it won't be getting a native PS5 update at this time......they may as well authorize a PS5 update. 

Azzanation said:
Otter said:

Great to hear, I'll be playing it on PS5 next month after Kena comes out. Although Native 4k would be ideal,1440p/60fps is great too and I believe resolution is the only difference between the PlayStation and Xbox version?

I haven't paid much attention to the differences between the console comparisons in terms of effects however this video does a good comparison across all platforms, even last gen systems.

From what i know is the PS5 version is the PS4 version running in Backwards Compatibility however its been boosted from 1080p/30fps to 1440p/60fps with no clue if Microsoft will offer a full PS5 optimization version. 

(6) Psychonauts 2 | Xbox One / Series S|X - PS4 / PS5 - PC | All Versions Graphics Comparison & FPS - YouTube

Resolution and FPS (Gen 9)

Load Times (Gen 9)

Around the Network

Have it installed but haven’t started yet. Too much other shit to play. Glad to hear it is good but it is Double Fine so I expected nothing less.

It's decent so far. The characters are likeable and the dialogue is pretty good. The story is interesting. The controls still aren't up to the levels of something like Mario Odyssey, but a huge step up from the original. But, about 4-5 hours in I've done very little actual platforming. I think I've only done about 3 actual levels, and most of my time has been spent just walking around the hub world. Also, a minor issue, but I've had to reset the game several times due to crashing or glitches (XBox One).

Just finished the Psi King level, which was fucking amazing. Really scratched that 3D platforming itch. Afterwards I got a point of no return warning. Hoping that this is just because certain areas will become inaccessible, and not because I'm approaching the end game.

Finished my Psychonauts week: Rhombus of Ruin -> Psychonauts 2 -> Psychonauts 1 (surprisingly well aged due to high resolution)

I love these games!

Around the Network

Game of the year thus far

Awesome and very informative new review for Psychonauts 1:

His thoughts about the story, characters, level designs, gameplay mechanics, collectibles and level difficulties match mine almost 100%. He also has a pleasant voice to listen to (IMHO).

Didn't know that channel before, but I instantly subscribed to it.

Can't wait for his Psychonauts 2 video.

Finished the game! It only got better as it went on. This game has so much heart that it feels like its soul is about to bust out of the screen at any moment! In fact, in a sense it did: it impacted me.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 06 September 2021

axumblade said:

It's my GOTY. Which says a lot considering it came out on a Ratchet and Clank year. I just unlocked the last achievement yesterday. Thinking of buying the game as well just to show more support to Double Fine on such a well made game.

Psychonauts 2 is definitely one of my faves from this year too. It's a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

As for GOTY though, for me the competition includes It Takes Two and that's a really tough game to top, IMO. It's close.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 09 September 2021

Finished it. Glad the game finally came out. Similar to the first in terms of both its strengths and weaknesses. Grea world and characters, unique and varying art style, and an engaging but eneven story. On the other hand as a platformer it's kind of average and while I love me a good collectathon, they really aren't ideal for storytelling. Probably should have been closer to Super Mario Galaxy than Banjo Kazooie. In other similar style games I want to scour the world to find everything because it was rewarding in itself, while hear I was content to do the minimum to progress the story.

How much you enjoy the game will come down to how much you value creativity and story vs how much you value polished gameplay.