By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Report: Playstation exclusive "Wild" has finally been cancelled, 7 years after it was announced

This is wild!

Around the Network

Was this the game where they said that the gameworld they made was step for step bigger than real-life Europe or something like that?

I was just wondering yesterday whatever happened to this game. Loved the concept. Shame it fizzled out.

Did sony pay them to make this? if so, do they get money back, from people just dumping the project?
I feel like in other places of work, if you paid for something, and someone given the project just went "we wont bother, we failed", the end result would be a law suit.
What happends with games that get dropped like this?

shikamaru317 said:
JRPGfan said:

Did sony pay them to make this? if so, do they get money back, from people just dumping the project?
I feel like in other places of work, if you paid for something, and someone given the project just went "we wont bother, we failed", the end result would be a law suit.
What happends with games that get dropped like this?

I very much doubt that when a publisher pays a developer to make a game like this, and then the game is canceled, that they get any money back. That money they paid is gone, spent to pay for the salaries of the developers at the the studio they contracted, spent on paying actors for voice acting, etc., a studio can't produce money out of thin air to pay back a publisher. Maybe if there is something left of the initial payment it would be returned, but most publisher send developers smaller payments monthly, rather than giving them a huge lump sum payment at the beginning of development.

Now maybe if it's a case of a studio grifting a publisher for a project, then never actually developing it, with the studio head pocketing the money, maybe then the publisher could sue in an attempt to get their money back, but they would need proof that the studio head funneled the money into a private account, instead of spending the money on the game and the salaries of the developers in his studio. 

This game has been in development for 7 years, anything that Sony paid them will have been spent to pay the salaries of the 40+ devs at the studio over the last 7 years. If the average salary at the studio is say $60,000, that comes out to $420,000 per year per developer, with 40+ developers at Wild Sheep that is over $16m they will have spent on the salaries of the developers alone. How much of that $16m+ will have been paid by Sony, and how much will have been paid by 3rd party investments that Michel Ancel managed to secure, I don't know. 

Even with all of that. Sony ain't just giving money away to pay for salaries and such. Something has to come out of it, or I would suspect a lawsuit of some sort will be imminent. Paying for a service that wasn't delivered, for whatever reason, should be compensated.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

"This day extracts a heavy toll."

Figured this was going to get cancelled or become a cross-gen release. It seemed interesting from the little we knew of it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I guess that rules out a "surprise" 2021 release lol.

Kakadu18 said:

This is wild!

Well, was...

I had liked the concept and presentation, but since it isn't a major studio or guaranteed quality product won't cry over it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
shikamaru317 said:

I know you hate Jeff, but do you really think he is wrong on this one? The last gameplay footage for this game was in 2015 and the last new screenshot was in 2017. Ancel, the director on the game, retired about a year ago after a French newspaper reported that his directorial style was disorganized and at times abusive, and though he claimed at the time that he was leaving Wild in capable hands, another year has passed and the only new thing we have seen from Wild Sheep Studio is a new Facebook banner of Wild artwork and a new studio logo. I see no reason to disregard this particular report just because you hate Grubb. 

This dude information i always shit like this , its obvious the game is cancelled long ago, any monkey can assume a game as been cancel in these conditions , let me give you some info i got from my uncle that works in rockstar cleaning toilets,  rockstar cancel agent!!! Now give me attention and internet points...

Some times its not even him, sometimes he just gives one opinion and some imbecile makes a article saying its a leak because they need to generate some clicks. 

Gaming press is a joke these days.

Yep, it is not because he is right in this case that he is either thrustworthy or even make good articles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."