By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The PS4 shipped 117.2M by Dec 31st 2023. Will it beat Gameboy?

PS4 is dying much much faster than previous playstations - I guess Playstation is no longer the brand that keeps selling after being replaced - but still it will definitely pass GB and should hit 120 million. It'll be like just under 117.5 million by end of this year, be within spitting distance of GB number by end of 2022, pass GB in 2023, and it'll probably still be sold in stores for another couple years after that, slowly creeping up to 120 million. Actually I could see it only hitting 119m and not 120m, but GB's 118.69m shouldn't be a problem unless Sony just gets mad that Playstations no longer sell a bunch after being replaced and they just decide to discontinue it fairly soon.

Around the Network

It's funny on the current Switch sales thread some people are saying Switch won't beat PS4 by that much. Whereas here we're discussing 118 or 120 million for PS4, and meanwhile Switch will have blown by that next year with a few years left to sell. How quickly the thinking of 125-135m for PS4 have fallen away once PS5 completely cannibalized PS4 sales after launch.

Marth said:

The biggest part of PS4 stopping dead in its tracks is because Sony wants it so.
They would easily sell more if they produced the damn thing but they gave the PS5 production priority.

Ahh, finally someone speaks the truth. 

Marth said:
victor83fernandes said:

I predicted 130 million a few years ago, I'm sure it will get there with price drops, lack of ps5 hardware, also replacements for broken consoles.

Sony only produced half a million in Q1 2021

So how exactly will there be 14M more PS4s?

At that rate? by selling another 7 years obviously :p  /s

Its not gonna hit 130m.

120m is in the bag.... 130m is out of reach.

Marth said:

The biggest part of PS4 stopping dead in its tracks is because Sony wants it so.
They would easily sell more if they produced the damn thing but they gave the PS5 production priority.

Yep and there really isn't any reason for them to carry on supporting the console a big factor has to be the PS5's BC and with 10m sold almost all of them would of been PS4 owners who now have zero use for that console and probably adds up to 5-8m used consoles been flooded into the used market or given to a young family member who could of bought one this year which in the end keeps another active user without Sony needing to give the PS4 a massive price drop and produce a console to break even when the end result is the same.

Around the Network

I think it'll just beat GameBoy, since it probably has another year or two in the market. However, I think this will be the last Xmas season that Sony will put any significant number of units out in the wild.

The truth is, the PS4 was sacrificed in order for the PS5 to prosper. Had the pandemic not happened, it may have been a different story, and we possibly would have seen more units produced plus a small price cut, $25-$30. But, right now manufacturing has to be prioritized in favor of the PS5. And there's little reason to increase demand with a price cut if you're not making enough to meet it.

Pandemic logistics forced Sony to cut PS4 production earlier than previously planned to avoid damaging PS5 supplies too much.
The worst is over, but most probably it's too late to make new plans again to revamp PS4 production in its last years, so Sony will let PS4 die earlier than previously wished, but as this milestone is so close, I can see Sony supporting PS4 at least enough to reach it.
So PS5 will have to cater for entry level earlier than originally planned, this will cost Sony some lost profits initially, but it will also definitively make 16GB and PS5 APU computing power the entry level for gaming, possibly damaging MS, as XS games must run on XSS too, and while scaling down graphics 12GB can be a reasonable size for a more frugal entry level than Sony one, 10GB could be quite uncomfortable for devs to work on. Not impossible, game devs used to do apparently impossible things with the infamous DOS memory limits before DOS extenders became available, but time consuming.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

it will not, PS4 will be luck to reach 118M.

trunkswd said:
yo33331 said:

I've just renewed the thread with the new number, and reset the poll since many people now may want to change their vote with the new numbers coming in from Sony.

With 200,000 shipped for the quarter I don't see it having any chance of topping the GameBoy. 

VGC has PS4 at 116.62m as of October 16th, any need for adjustment with these new numbers of is it right on track?

With the new numbers just released I do not think it will beat the Gameboy anymore.
Long time it was kind of given "PS4 for sure will surpass gameboy, absolutely no doubt", but the the sales saw a gigantic cliff.