By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Indie Appreciation Thread - 2021 Edition

Welcome to the Indie Appreciation Thread!

If there's something indie-related that you consider worth mentioning, but not relevant enough to warrant its own thread, feel free to discuss it here.

Otherwise, if you want to know what this is about, or what the text format (in the Platforms section) and the abbreviations (in the Genre section) mean, just take a look at the introduction thread.

And that's all. Have fun!

2021 Indie Highlights

Previous Months

JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH
Skul: The Hero Slayer Haven Everhood
Cyber Shadow Little Nightmares II Gnosia
Project Winter Anodyne 2: Return to Dust Loop Hero
Olija Natsuki Chronicles Two Point Hospital: JUMBO Edition
The Pedestrian ALTDEUS: Beyond Chronos Battle Brothers
Thomas Was Alone Saviors of Sapphire Wings & Stranger of Sword City Revisited
Curse of the Dead Gods Signs of the Sojourner
Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos Terraria
Overcooked! All You Can Eat
Genesis Noir
It Takes Two
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Disco Elysium: The Final Cut
Another Eden: The Cat Beyond Time and Space

APRIL MAY JUNE
Fantasian (Part 1) Nongunz: Doppelgänger Edition Griftlands
Lost Words: Beyond the Page Call of the Sea Wreckfest
The House in Fata Morgana Remnant: From the Ashes Astalon: Tears of the Earth
World Splitter Subnautica: Below Zero Chivalry II
ScourgeBringer Sunless Skies: Sovereign Edition Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
Genshin Impact Grindstone Genshin Impact
Insurmountable Manifold Garden Green Hell
Knockout City Chicory: A Colorful Tale
Crying Suns Roguebook
Sumire Blasphemous Deluxe Edition
ENDER LILIES: Quietus of the Knights
Sky: Children of the Light

July

GAME GENRE METACRITIC PLATFORMS

The Procession to Calvary

ADV 78 XBO/NSW/Steam (PS4) [July 2 on XBO]

Boomerang X

HNS 80-81 NSW/Steam

Observer: System Redux

HOR 77-85 PS4/XBO/XS/PS5/Steam/GOG/EGS/Humble

Death's Door

ACT ADV 86-87 XBO/XS/Steam

Russian Subway Dogs

ACT ARC 85 PSV/Steam

Tribes of Midgard

SUR ACT ADV 79 PS4/PS5/Steam

Chernobylite

SUR HOR RPG 75 Steam/EGS/GOG (PS4/XBO/XS/PS5) [September 7 on PS4/XBO)

Omno

ADV 80 PS4/XBO*/Steam (NSW)

Vesper

PUZ PLAT 82 Steam/GOG

August

Dragon Star Varnir

RPG 75 NSW/PS4/Steam [West release]

I Am Dead

PUZ ADV 77-79 PS4/XBO/XS/PS5/NSW/Steam

Crown Trick

TB ROG 80-83 PS4/XBO
Last edited by Verter - on 01 August 2021

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Around the Network

Disco Elysium, Little Nightmares II, Subnautica: Below Zero,.... games that dont feel like they came from indie teams lol.

Disco Elysium is 100% worth a play.

JRPGfan said:

Disco Elysium, Little Nightmares II, Subnautica: Below Zero,.... games that dont feel like they came from indie teams lol.

Thanks for pointing that out! I have a quite relaxed criteria (so to speak) when I'm deciding if I should include a game or not, so there are games that are not exactly indies and I include them because either they or the companies making them are small enough or not known enough (which is not the case with the ones you mentioned lol).

But I'm open to suggestions and have no problems taking games off the list. Why do you think those you mentioned don't fit here?

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Verter said:
JRPGfan said:

Thanks for pointing that out! I have a quite relaxed criteria (so to speak) when I'm deciding if I should include a game or not, so there are games that are not exactly indies and I include them because either they or the companies making them are small enough or not known enough (which is not the case with the ones you mentioned lol).

But I'm open to suggestions and have no problems taking games off the list. Why do you think those you mentioned don't fit here?

Maybe they do fit :)  (have no idea about studios behinde them, or costs of developement or team sizes) (cba to go look things up)

I just think those games stand out, from the others.
Ei. their better, and have done better (I assume, in terms of sales), simply because their quality is very high.

Disco Elysium is fantastic.

Interesting thread. I find a lot of indie gems slip through the cracks. One of the reasons is some of them have a niche appeal.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Verter said:

Maybe they do fit :)  (have no idea about studios behinde them, or costs of developement or team sizes) (cba to go look things up)

I just think those games stand out, from the others.
Ei. their better, and have done better (I assume, in terms of sales), simply because their quality is very high.

Disco Elysium is fantastic.

I do a quick search when I have doubts about it, but sometimes there's not much information or I'm in the fence about including a certain game or not, so I can't guarantee that all the games are 100% good fits here, and that's why I appreciate feedback.

And it's very true that those games stand out over the rest. I have kind of a non-written rule regarding that: if a game has become a saga or a franchise, I only include up to the second installment, but no more than that, because I assume that by that point they're too well-known. So if there's ever a Little Nightmares III or one more follow-up to Subnautica, I'll more than probably leave those out.

Oh, and I just wishlisted Disco Elysium.

Jumpin said:

Interesting thread. I find a lot of indie gems slip through the cracks. One of the reasons is some of them have a niche appeal.

Thanks! That's exactly the purpose of this: giving visibility both to very good indie games that deserve its own spotlight and to potential gems that could go easily under the radar because of the lack of marketing, or being too niche or any other reason. There are lots of games that simply go unnoticed.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Thanks for starting these posts. I love indies so this is right up my alley. I noticed that you've been doing these since March but somehow I've missed the previous ones. I might recommend bumping the threads at the end of each month, since the data is pretty sparse at the beginning when you first create it.

As for the indies, I noticed that you didn't have The House in Fata Morgana listed for April, which surprises me because it has a whopping 98 metacritic score on Switch (it's only platform so far), and I'm pretty sure it's an indie developer. I've never played it and it's a very niche genre (visual novel) but that score is pretty eye-popping!

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

kenjab said:

Thanks for starting these posts. I love indies so this is right up my alley. I noticed that you've been doing these since March but somehow I've missed the previous ones. I might recommend bumping the threads at the end of each month, since the data is pretty sparse at the beginning when you first create it.

As for the indies, I noticed that you didn't have The House in Fata Morgana listed for April, which surprises me because it has a whopping 98 metacritic score on Switch (it's only platform so far), and I'm pretty sure it's an indie developer. I've never played it and it's a very niche genre (visual novel) but that score is pretty eye-popping!

Actually, I was thinking on keeping this thread as the only one from now on and just keep updating it each month until the end of the year, and then do a new one for the whole 2022. The idea is to update the OP with just the highlights of the month, instead of making a full table with all the announced games from the get go like I used to do in the other threads (that's why there are so few games right now in this one). Then, the final day of each month I could post the complete table with all the games released that month (bumping the thread in the process, as you say) and make a shortcut to that post, so that it's easily accesible.

My full raw list (without fancy tables) of games scheduled for July as of now is this, by the way:

Spoiler!

The Procession To Calvary

Out of Line
Boomerang X
Blue Fire
Swords of Legends Online
Where The Heart Leads
Guild of Darksteel
Little Witch Academia: VR Broom Racing
Lost at Sea
World for Two
Cotton Reboot!
Cris Tales
Urban Trial Tricky Deluxe Edition
Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+
Tribes of Midgard
Escape from Naraka
The Ascent
Bustafellows
Vesper

Last Stop
Chernobylite
Trigger Witch

Didn't know about The House in Fata Morgana, that score is indeed impressive! I'll make sure I check it out tomorrow and add it to the list. Thanks for sharing that info, it's pretty nice.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

OP updated with the first highlights of this month, which will be sharing the spotlight with the highlights of July until September. The full list of July releases is included in this post, and I will short-cut it for quick access, so that this information can be checked even when it's no longer in the OP. Also, since I actually changed the format of this thread from a series of them to a long-running one, I'm going to include in this post a link to the previous ones, so that those games don't get totally lost and are as easily accessible as all the others.

But before that, a quick overview: there's been a total of 277 releases as of July 31, of which 68 have a minimum score of 75 in Metacritic. As for August, indies seem to like this month, because it starts with a lot of releases (41); more than any other previous month at the same point, more than the whole months of January, April and July, and almost the same amount than the whole months of February and June. The full raw list is the following:

Spoiler!

HIGHLIGHTS

Dragon Star Varnir
I Am Dead
Crown Trick

OTHER GAMES

Grime
Hunter's Arena: Legends
In Sound Mind
Dodgeball Academia
The Falconeer: Warrior Edition
The Last Survey
Black Book
Button City
Ever Forward
Faraday Protocol
Fire Tonight
Foreclosed
SkateBIRD
Tetragon
The Plane Effect
Cardaclysm: Shards of the Four
Road 96
Humankind
Greak: Memories of Azur
Mayhem Brawler
Out of Line
Recompile
RiMS Racing
Hoa
King's Bounty II
Murder Mystery Machine
Hotel Life: A Resort Simulator
Baldo: The Guardian Owls
Guts 'N Goals
KeyWe
Rustler
Song of Iron
The Big Con

GAMES WITH NO SPECIFIC RELEASE DAY

ExoMecha
Blood Bowl III
Rogue Spirit
Toy Soldiers HD
Golf Club: Wasteland

January-March releases

April releases

May releases

June releases

July highlights

The Procession to Calvary

ADV 78 XBO/NSW/Steam (PS4)

Boomerang X

HNS 80-81 NSW/Steam

HOR 77-85 PS4/XBO/XS/PS5/Steam/GOG/EGS/Humble

Death's Door

ACT ADV 86-87 XBO/XS/Steam

Russian Subway Dogs

ACT ARC 85 PSV/Steam

Tribes of Midgard

SUR ACT ADV 79 PS4/PS5/Steam

Chernobylite

SUR HOR RPG 75 Steam/EGS/GOG (PS4/XBO/XS/PS5) [September 7 on PS4/XBO)

Omno

ADV 80 PS4/XBO*/Steam (NSW)

Vesper

PUZ PLAT 82 Steam/GOG

Other July releases

Arcadegeddon MP SHTR - PS5/EGS [Early Access]
Blue Fire ACT ADV 70-71 XBO/NSW/Steam/Stadia (PS4)
Swords of Legends Online MMORPG 72 Steam/EGS/Gameforge
Where The Heart Leads ADV 71-72 PS4
Batbarian: Testament of the Primordials METR ACT ADV PUZ 74-82 PS4/XBO/NSW/Steam
Guild of Darksteel ADV - NSW/Steam/GOG/Humble/  Greenman/Nuuvem
Little Witch Academia: VR Broom Racing RAC 62 PSVR/Rift/SteamVR
Lost at Sea NAR ADV - XS/PS5/Steam
World for Two ADV - Steam/NSW/iOs/Android
Cotton Reboot! SHT'M 74-80 PS4/NSW [West release]
Cris Tales ACT RPG 72-78 PS4/XBO/NSW/XS/PS5/  Steam/GOG/EGS/Stadia
Samurai Gunn 2 MP SHTR PLAT - Steam [Early Access]
Ultra Mission SHTR - PSV
Last Stop ADV 64-71 PS4/XBO/NSW/XS/PS5/Steam
Urban Trial Tricky Deluxe Edition SPRT SIM 64 PS4/XBO/Steam/GOG/NSW
Dariusburst: Another Chronicle EX+ SHT'M 64 PS4/NSW [West release]
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles Enhanced Edition ADV 64-74 XS/PS5/NSW/PS4/XBO/Steam
Trigger Witch SHTR - PS4/XBO/NSW (XS/PS5)
Escape from Naraka SUR PLAT - Steam
Skydrift Infinity RAC ACT - PS4/XBO/NSW/Steam
The Ascent ACT RPG 65-74 XBO*/XS*/Steam
Bustafellows VN - NSW/Steam [West release]
Ion Driver RAC - PS4

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Currently playing Blaster Master Zero 3. Great game so far! Previous two were awesome too!