Ubisoft 0 0%

Gearbox 0 0%

Microsoft 56 30.77%

Chaos (Square Enix) 3 1.65%

Nintendo 108 59.34%

Bandai Namco 2 1.10%

They all sucked 13 7.14%

Total:182

Microsoft had more to lose, and I think it comes out stronger than before. Many of those who were on the fence about acquiring a Series console because of it portfolio looking forward have now solid arguments to go ahead and make their purchase.

Around the Network
pariz said:

Microsoft had more to lose, and I think it comes out stronger than before. Many of those who were on the fence about acquiring a Series console because of it portfolio looking forward have now solid arguments to go ahead and make their purchase.

Well they need to release the games first, so no need for a Series before 2022

Because no one should get too crazy for a CGI trailer outside of confirming that a game is in development, Nintendo.

I'm not even really a Metroid guy, I'm actually more interested in Advanced Wars. I mean what can you ask of Nintendo beyond 'reviving the IPs that aren't in active use'. Warioware's debatable if it counts but Metroid and Advance Wars...

(New games in those franchises are a thing in most any discussion, along with trailers for the games in spec or confirmed that are MIA)

Not my favorite E3 direct I've seen, but it still works as one and this year isn't exactly a hard competition. In some years the E3 direct could have lost to someone....

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Just took a look at that Intellivision and it looks interesting, but at 250 bucks that's a no.

SKMBlake said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Considering MS covered 2D sidescrollers, party games, FPS, flight sim, arcade racer, JRPGs, and strategy games, I would have to disagree here pretty strongly...  I swear, most of the people (again globally) I talk to seem to have NOT actually watched the Xbox showcase and just looked for highlights lol

Well if most people only recalls the shooters, the CGI trailers and Forza, that's also a problem for the showcase.

I mean, it started with Starfield, a CGI trailer, then went to Stalker, Battlefield and Evil 4 Dead, then a CGI trailer, then some indie stuff, and then Far Cry CGI trailer, Halo montage of the multiplayer, again a shooter, another CGI trailer, and then BAM! 15 minutes of Forza. And a CGI trailer of a shooter at the end.

You can say "there was variety" by listing the games that appeared for 2 seconds, but it's like saying "there were a lot of 3rd party games in the Nintendo Direct", who actually remember the 3rd party games ? Nobody noticed that Marvel Guardians of Galaxy was actually cloud based for eg.

Starfeild was in engine not CGI

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
SKMBlake said:

Well if most people only recalls the shooters, the CGI trailers and Forza, that's also a problem for the showcase.

I mean, it started with Starfield, a CGI trailer, then went to Stalker, Battlefield and Evil 4 Dead, then a CGI trailer, then some indie stuff, and then Far Cry CGI trailer, Halo montage of the multiplayer, again a shooter, another CGI trailer, and then BAM! 15 minutes of Forza. And a CGI trailer of a shooter at the end.

You can say "there was variety" by listing the games that appeared for 2 seconds, but it's like saying "there were a lot of 3rd party games in the Nintendo Direct", who actually remember the 3rd party games ? Nobody noticed that Marvel Guardians of Galaxy was actually cloud based for eg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcbbwpBJuX8

Thats like a cutscene from the start of the game.... ei. CGI?
Thats not what actual gameplay looks like.

Proof of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfvAWjMzHlk

1:28 into this, you see the model dude putting together the scripted cgi parts, shown above, for the trailer.

Also why is in-engine not cgi?
If your useing character models or the engine, to do things that dont actually 100% represent gameplay or the game... isnt that cgi? reguardless of if its made with the engine?

I think it's a draw between Microsoft and Nintendo for me, but if I had to choose I'd probably give it Nintendo since Microsoft had Bethesda along but their new game felt cold and uninspiring : /

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcbbwpBJuX8

Thats like a cutscene from the start of the game.... ei. CGI?
Thats not what actual gameplay looks like.

Proof of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfvAWjMzHlk

1:28 into this, you see the model dude putting together the scripted cgi parts, shown above, for the trailer.

Also why is in-engine not cgi?
If your useing character models or the engine, to do things that dont actually 100% represent gameplay or the game... isnt that cgi? reguardless of if its made with the engine?

The trailer you linked literally says that’s all in game. A lot of these trailers are how the game looks but they use different camera viewpoints to get that more “cinematic” look. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Here's the funny part about art: my sister's the artist in the family (literally, liberal arts degree, artist and musician), and it's pretty clear there IS, indeed, a baseline artistic perception by which human brains function within.  CAN someone like art no one else likes?  Sure.  But ever see a car that is generally accepted as ugly?  Yea, of course you have.  You've also seen a car that is generally accepted as good-looking, too.  Art is MOSTLY objective, and it's often people who are aiming to be unique or different that purposely try to drive the bell curve outwards further and further (you know you've met contrarians: if everyone else loves it, they hate it, and if everyone hates it, they find a reason to love it).  My sister is one of those people, she tries very hard to be different.  That is the driving force behind the belief that art is subjective when it's actually GENERALLY not.  This is why it's so easy for you to determine a hot girl from a not hot girl, so even though someone will still eventually find the not-hot girl attractive and love her the way she deserves to be (and could have their own reasons, and be all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sanctimonious), the fact that there is a far greater number of people hitting on or complimenting the hot girl drives home the point that the artists eye is still driven by baseline programming in the brain.

So in summary, removing bias is entirely possible in general because generally speaking, art is NOT subjective.  It is subjective to a minority, ergo each fanbase is subjective to their own, but do not number the majority.  It's not possible 100%, of course, but the idea that there can be eventually a "general" view of gaming isn't entirely a lost cause.  It may just take another few decades to get there is all.

You basically said the loud part very quietly: "objectivity" is, at best, just an appeal to popularity. And appeals to popularity are terrible arguments.

"Art is MOSTLY objective, and it's often people who are aiming to be unique or different that purposely try to drive the bell curve outwards further and further (you know you've met contrarians: if everyone else loves it, they hate it, and if everyone hates it, they find a reason to love it). " 

The kind of logic you're using is why Lou Reed stayed underground (hehehe) for years and didn't become popular till long after he had already contributed some of what is now considered the greatest music of all time. Objectivity isn't "objective" if it can change with the times so massively that artists who were once considered shit years ago are now among the most acclaimed of all time. That's literally just popularity, because "facts" don't change. You would have called a lot of artists who weren't considered good at their time "contrarian", too, because you wouldn't know just how beloved they'd be now. That is actually how you push most art forward, by changing (or at least expanding the boundaries of) standards. 

Edit: And further more, while I know I am guilty of this as well, I don't think that adding to the conversation whether people are answering objectively or subjectively actually adds anything meaningful to the thread. It just bloats the discussion because it's probably not going to change many people's answers (if at all) and is just putting to question the poll results for no real reason other than "this isn't a fact" ... surely there could be better arguments for why Microsoft won then just pulling out arguments from the objectivity book, no? Why not try to appeal to people with a real point? 

I know we're barely talking E3 at this point, but we ARE having civil discourse around who won E3, just in an analogous way.  I do also realize we're getting deep in the quote trees, BUT we have come full circle and you've come to my same conclusion perhaps without realizing it.  A few things:

1) Using "popularity" is not a measure of artistic perception because someone who buys a Civic for reliability will still sit it next to a Lamborghini and know inherently which one looks better.  Just because there are more Civics on the road (ergo, more popular) doesn't mean it looks better.  This also segues into the inherently inaccurate analogy you've made to popularity around a change in time.  But in order for your example to take place, all of the SAME subject matter must remain.  Ergo, you'd have to have the EXACT same songs still playing (remember, just because it's the same genre doesn't mean it's the same song!), and the same cars.  And even then, if I sat a Lamborghini Diablo Countach right next to a Civic of its same era, there's virtually no one that would say the Civic looks better!  So guaranteed if you took the modern day folks and presented all of the SAME subject matter from a bygone era, the same things that people generally liked then would still be liked now.  Instead, the times have changed and NEW subject matter has been presented.  And here's the other important part: people die.  For your example to conversely be accurate on the change in subject matter, all of the same people must be presented with both.  If the subject matter changes but the people don't, then you get a better comparison model.  But even then, I'm still guaranteeing similar results.

2) Your move to popularity only served to actually drive my point home: that IS the core issue with the "Who Won E3" question in terms of gamers.  Of all the things I do in my life outside of gaming, I find gaming to be one of the few places where there is so much loss of objectivity and just sheer, blatant, and willful ignorance WHILE arguing over a piece of plastic.  It's one thing to say, "I don't care about [console]", because I can respect that.  It's another thing to not care about [console], and ALSO hate it or mock the people that do care about it.  And so most of these votes become *dun dun dun* just a mere popularity contest!  Rather than being a proper look at the material and comparing it to answer "who won E3", gaming communities tend to just pick their own for a variety of reasons without taking the opposition into account, or discounting it (which is, again, what I see a lot of in general) while willfully ignoring anything about it.  You've come to the EXACT same conclusion I did, just in a very roundabout way lol

Shaunodon said:

What he said has nothing to do with popularity. Popularity is based around exposure people have to something. The reason many artists can remain unpopular for a long time but then suddenly become well-regarded, is becuase they lack exposure and the funds/means to spread their work early in their careers.

On the other hand, a car can be generally considered as ugly, but still be very popular and common because it's cheap and practical. Most people would generally accept the new Fast & Furious movie will be garbage, but it'll still rake close to a billion dollars in box office because it offers cheap fun and boasts enough name-talent to appeal to a wide number of people. None of that relates to objective value or quality though, just like your comment doesn't relate to his argument.

For the record: I watched both showcases in full and they were the only showcases I bothered to watch at all. I felt Nintendo won pretty easily. I didn't hate Microsoft's, but they didn't show me anything I wasn't already aware of, other than the new co-op shooter from Arkane. I also don't have much optimism in the new direction for Halo lately, but I'm keeping some hope alive.

pop·u·lar·i·ty
/ËŒpäpyəˈlerÉ™dÄ“/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the state or condition of being liked, admired, or supported by many people.
His comment: "  But ever see a car that is generally accepted as ugly?  Yea, of course you have.  You've also seen a car that is generally accepted as good-looking, too. "
His appeal is to popularity. Now, you're right that generally, the connotation of popularity derives from that thing also being very successful among a mass audience. And his comment didn't directly say that, for something to be good, it has to have a mass audience. At the same time, how popular something is can also be a microcosm of what kind of product it is, so it didn't really need mentioning (for example, being the most popular Jazz musician in America right now would be very different from being the most popular rapper, you'd still be popular in a certain criteria), because within the criteria he's expressing (the "general" people being referred to), it would be about popularity. It is an appeal to popularity, because within the fixed data size he's making an example out of, most of the people agree with a certain narrative (I mean that's literally what he means when he says "generally"). 
Even if we want to say that, for something smaller it wouldn't be an appeal to popularity because the data-size would be too small, none of my arguments change regardless of the wording. Walk up to someone, tell them their favorite thing isn't better than this other thing because the other 2 people in the room prefer something else. What kind of argument is that? Lol. 
The funny thing is, even the argument you're making isn't correct: There are a ton of artists who could have made it big, because enough people examined their work to get them funding or some kind of push for mainstream success, and they didn't. 

Walking up to someone and telling them their favorite thing is different is different than asking everyone on the room what their favorite thing is (ergo, this OP's poll).  Starting an argument with someone becomes an entirely different thing, and yet, can still pan out similarly to what I said: the other two people need to be factored in because one might say, "he's right, your favorite thing is weird, how anyone can like your favorite thing is beyond me".  Then, this becomes like us, hopefully: discussing the different reasons for favorite thing.  But either way, you're starting an argument in your example which is different than asking for their responses.  Your arguing example turns into a matter of attempting to convince or change other people's perception rather than just find out what it is (using a poll, for example).

Shaunodon said:

What he said has nothing to do with popularity. Popularity is based around exposure people have to something. The reason many artists can remain unpopular for a long time but then suddenly become well-regarded, is becuase they lack exposure and the funds/means to spread their work early in their careers.

On the other hand, a car can be generally considered as ugly, but still be very popular and common because it's cheap and practical. Most people would generally accept the new Fast & Furious movie will be garbage, but it'll still rake close to a billion dollars in box office because it offers cheap fun and boasts enough name-talent to appeal to a wide number of people. None of that relates to objective value or quality though, just like your comment doesn't relate to his argument.

For the record: I watched both showcases in full and they were the only showcases I bothered to watch at all. I felt Nintendo won pretty easily. I didn't hate Microsoft's, but they didn't show me anything I wasn't already aware of, other than the new co-op shooter from Arkane. I also don't have much optimism in the new direction for Halo lately, but I'm keeping some hope alive.

Actually, did you even read his comment?

I was focusing on the part I highlighted, but if you'll remember he literally says: 

"That is the driving force behind the belief that art is subjective when it's actually GENERALLY not.  This is why it's so easy for you to determine a hot girl from a not hot girl, so even though someone will still eventually find the not-hot girl attractive and love her the way she deserves to be (and could have their own reasons, and be all "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" sanctimonious), the fact that there is a far greater number of people hitting on or complimenting the hot girl drives home the point that the artists eye is still driven by baseline programming in the brain."

This is literally an appeal to popularity. The fact that he also uses generally here, also vindicates that this is what he meant earlier when he said "But ever see a car that is generally accepted as ugly". 

Again, I'd argue you can make appeals to popularity even in situations where something being discussed isn't "mainstream" because popularity can be analyzed in smaller communities or scenarios. But pretty much any way you chop it ... it was an appeal to popularity. 

The fact that a hot girl will have more people hitting on her and be more popular is a result, not what makes her hot (in other words, it's not an appeal TO popularity, but popularity is a RESULT of the appeal).  I think using the car was a better example so I shouldn't have mentioned girls lmao

SKMBlake said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Considering MS covered 2D sidescrollers, party games, FPS, flight sim, arcade racer, JRPGs, and strategy games, I would have to disagree here pretty strongly...  I swear, most of the people (again globally) I talk to seem to have NOT actually watched the Xbox showcase and just looked for highlights lol

Uhm, 2 seconds?  I mean, your bias is showing pretty hard, here lol

Also, Starfield wasn't CGI... CGI = Computer Generated Imagery, but Starfield was running in real-time within the game engine (though likely on a powerful PC).  Far Cry was also not CGI, and showed off gameplay segments...  But based on what you're going off on, there's no point in debating this with you because you're already decided Xbox lost simply based on handpicking what you want to justify your narrative (There were only four CG trailers, one of which entirely made fun of itself with delightful sarcasm, two of which were "indie stuff")

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Ka-pi96 said:
kirby007 said:

is it? have gamepass active and buy it with the gamepass discount, by the way this also works for DLC like whale shark cards for gta

For me, yes.

If you like it, good for you. But to me paying significantly more money and having literally nothing at the end of it when you stop paying is a terrible value proposition. As I said before, it's like buying vs renting. Renting is something most people only do because they can't afford to buy a new house or car. I can definitely afford to buy a game though, so I'm not going to throw money down the drain to temporarily rent it.

Well now i know you are being obtuse on purpose, gamepass gives the option to buy those games at a discount 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.