By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Share the article here.

Switch Outsells Combined 3DS and Wii U Sales in the US in May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 431,701 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,168,877 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,771,104 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 29,373,340

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 20,602,236

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 431,701 units. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 6.17 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 8.77 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is May 2015 and for the Wii U it is January 2017. The Switch has sold 29.37 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 20.60 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U sold a combined 29.27 million units lifetime in the US. This means the Nintendo Switch has officially won the race with Nintendo’s previous two platforms.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
ireadtabloids said:

That’s a strong analysis, but those last five million are going to be tough to clear in those countries.
PlayStation 5 is going to be the best selling console soon and I get the feeling Switch sales will slow down fast in the “Rest of the world” countries after Christmas 2022.

I think Switch will make it to at least 18.5 million in the “Rest of the world”, but it’s going to a tough slog after that. Would love it if I’m wrong and Switch matches PS4 sales figures.

The row sales of the Switch just took up pace last year, I don't see why they would slow down faster than in the big three regions. China is a big market where the Switch only released in 2019. I'm sure the Switch can sell 5mil over 2022 and 2023 alone and then ad another million in 2024.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch Outsells Combined 3DS and Wii U Sales in the US in May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in March 2011 in the US and the Wii U launched in November 2012, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U USA:

Gap change in latest month: 431,701 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,168,877 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,771,104 - Switch

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 20,602,236

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe by 431,701 units. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 6.17 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS and Wii U by 8.77 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is May 2015 and for the Wii U it is January 2017. The Switch has sold 29.37 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 20.60 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U sold a combined 29.27 million units lifetime in the US. This means the Nintendo Switch has officially won the race with Nintendo’s previous two platforms.

Nice; first the US, soon the world. It's gratifying to see the better system win out, and proves wrong those 2017 claims that the Wii U + 3DS base was Nintendo's total potential audience for the Switch.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Nice; first the US, soon the world. It's gratifying to see the better system win out, and proves wrong those 2017 claims that the Wii U + 3DS base was Nintendo's total potential audience for the Switch.

Worldwide shouldn't take too much longer. Switch at the end of May was a bit over 3 million away. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Xbox One in the US Sales Comparison - May 2021

The VGChartz sales comparison series of articles are updated monthly and each one focuses on a different sales comparison using our estimated video game hardware figures. The charts include comparisons between the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch, as well as with older platforms. There are articles based on our worldwide estimates, as well as the US, Europe, and Japan.

This monthly series compares the lifetime US sales of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox One.

Switch Vs. Xbox One US:

Gap change in latest month: 475,133 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,351,724 - Switch

Total Lead: 145,153 - Xbox One

Xbox One Total Sales: 29,518,493

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the gap shrunk in favor of the Switch by 475,133 units when compared to the Xbox One. In the last 12 months, the Switch has caught up to the lifetime sales of the Xbox One in the US by 8.35 million units.

The Switch is currently just 145,153 units behind the lifetime Xbox One sales in the US.

The Xbox One launched in the US in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. To date the Switch has sold 29.37 million units, while the Xbox One has sold 29.52 million units.

If you were to align the launches of the two consoles in the US the Switch would be ahead by 9.05 million units, as the Xbox One had sold 20.47 million units through 51 months.

Around the Network

Xbox One's last stand in its final stronghold is coming to an end.
With June's numbers, Switch will have overtaken it in all regions.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison in the US – May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii US:

Gap change in latest month: 154,906 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,203,140 - Switch

Total Lead: 4,716,168 - Wii

Wii Total Sales: 34,089,508

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Switch has shrunk the gap with the Wii when you align the launches by 154,906 million units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 2.20 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 4.72 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021 and for the Wii it is January 2011. The Switch has sold 29.37 million units, while the Wii sold 34.09 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 44.

The Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 12.33 million units to outsell the Wii.

The Wii was a beast in the US, but I think Switch has a good shot at this. From here on the Wii coasts on inertia while Switch could still have a massive 2021 holiday and a big 2022 ahead of it.

curl-6 said:

The Wii was a beast in the US, but I think Switch has a good shot at this. From here on the Wii coasts on inertia while Switch could still have a massive 2021 holiday and a big 2022 ahead of it.

I fully expect the Switch to outsell the Wii in the US. Worldwide will happen first through. Switch is miles ahead of the Wii in Japan that helps the worldwide charts. 

@trunkswd That makes sense. Maybe Switch will surpass the Wii in the US sometime next year.