By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 23-29 - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Rise

yo33331 said:
drkohler said:

That is not how it works. The fewer "things" you manufacture, the more expensive they get. PS4 production levels are low now, and with the semiconductor supply problems, it costs a lot more now to manufacture the thingies, despite R&D having been recouped fully. If anything Sony taught us with the PS4, they are not willing to lose money on its hardware.

My guess is someone inside Sony already came up with the idea of killing PS4 production (one final big shipment) in favour of the PS5.

It's just sad, seeing how they maintained the PS1 and PS2, after the successor launched, and now with the PS4 ..

Did Sony expand in regions outside of the 3 NA, Europe and Japan or was it "only" due to a low price and good support from developers late in its life?

Around the Network

PS3 sold about 7 million post-replacement.
How much has PS4 sold so far, since PS5 came out?

curl-6 said:

PS3 sold about 7 million post-replacement.
How much has PS4 sold so far, since PS5 came out?

Summing up the numbers from weekly hardware from November 14th to January 2nd gave 1.089.827 and adding the numbers from the comparison chart from this thread that are 1.004.259 giving a total of 2.094.086 units. That was the quickest way I could think of and I think it should be correct ish