By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox will catch up to Playstation this generation

Xbox will catch up to playstation this generation

Agree 28 21.21%

Disagree 104 78.79%

Total:132
LudicrousSpeed said:

GamePass is constantly evolving and getting better, the place it was in four years ago is completely different than now. It’s not all that similar to Now either, because it offers bigger games and offers them day one at times, too. It’s also offering DLCs now. It’s not going to have a huge effect on sales until it reaches a wider audience, which MS is working on with xCloud and the GamePass smart device. 

Yeah but we saw that half of the "day one" games coming out this year were pretty lackluster (Outriders, The Medium, The Ascent, The Falconeer) so it started this trend where when a game is announced "day one Game Pass", people started to think that will probably bad rated.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

Xbox Outselling PlayStation 2:1 in NA?
Xbox Series + PS5 both selling roughly the same?

This is crazy talk.

Currently 3.6m for Xbox and 4.4m for PS5 in NA. Xbox certainly has a chance at overtaking there but its not going to be remotely close to something like 30m for ps5 and 60m for Xbox by the end.

USA will be close, Xbox might take a victory here by up to 30% not 100%.

Europe will be dominated by PlayStation. Globally PlayStation wins by a not insignificant margin.

One thing you're forgetting is heavy chip shortages. MS will be supplying their biggest market with more Xbox's (as they should) while PS its a bit more spread. The difference will be much greater once stock improve in the next year.

Also getting heavy 'globally in the US' vibes from OP lol.

hinch said:

One thing you're forgetting is heavy chip shortages. MS will be supplying their biggest market with more Xbox's (as they should) while PS its a bit more spread. The difference will be much greater once stock improve in the next year.

Also getting heavy 'globally in the US' vibes from OP lol.

Exactly. Microsoft has a chance at the US (though I can't see the ratio changing all that much given their current trajectory), but worldwide? Not a chance. Microsoft has never appealed to the Japanese market and at this point it's a lost cause, and Sony has had a major worldwide appeal basically since day one. With PS1, they had discs and a very 'everyone can develop for our console' mentality. PS2 took the ball that PS1 made and ran with it, with a combination of longevity and quality games. PS4 allowed them to learn from their mistakes with PS3 and once again take a stranglehold, where PS5 is once again carrying on that momentum. 

Right now, Ps5 is doing remarkably well. Better than any console before it. In mainstream media and places outside of heavily Xbox-leaning communities or groups, nobody thinks for a second that XSX is going to suddenly turn things around. The best they can hope for is parity in the US/UK. And, given that Sony is riding a wave of good will and success they rebooted with the PS4 on a console everyone seems to like, I don't see that momentum slowing any time soon. 

As it stands, I think PS5 is going to marginally outsell PS4, Switch will either become the #3 best-selling console of all time or #1 depending on when Nintendo gives it the Old-Yeller treatment, and Xbox Series X is going to do marginally better than the Xbox One but not as good as the Xbox 360. Those are boring predictions, but that's what we're seeing. I am confident in that. Even if Microsoft turns things around, they've never been good at maintaining momentum. Every console they ever made tapered off in their final years regardless of how the next console does. Xbox? Solid 2001-2004, but practically nothing in 2005 because 360 was coming out. 360? Solid 2005-2010 or so, a very strong lifetime, but that left 2011-2013 as a nearly barren wasteland. Xbox One? Solid 2013-2016, but dropped off significantly in 2017-2020. 

So where does that leave us? Well, uh...XSX has sold well enough, but like I said in prior entries in this thread, it has no games to call its own. The only games I know of that fit the criteria of 75+ on Metacritic and not available on Sony/Nintendo consoles (PC is fine) is Death's Door and Gears Tactics. I'm worried about Xbox because this time around they couldn't even get the launch right. Hopefully that allows them to absolutely impress in the console's final years (much like PS3 did) but history does not really support that idea. I'd like for it to be the case. I'd love for there to be three strong contenders in the market (I know people won't believe that statement given my history of being extra critical of MS/XB, but I swear it's true. I bought a 360 and One, and I'm eagerly trying to get a Series X for completionist sake), but all we have right now are empty promises. I would love for Elder Scrolls and Avowed and Doom and Wolfenstein and Forza and Gears and Halo and all the other promised games to come out, smash it, and give the console its much-needed boost, but right now we're almost a year into the console's life with virtually nothing to call its own. 

Sony's got a lot of cross-generational stuff and all consoles have PC ports (As it should be), but Xbox needed to launch with Halo and all anyone could talk about was how bad HAlo looked so they delayed it 13 months just to make it presentable. You know what would have been a better idea? Delay the launch of Xbox Series X/S until 2021, give Sony 2020, Take that extra time to cram even more power into the Series X (Since they seem to think power makes games, it's kind of their schtick), then make a big deal when Xbox Series X launches with Halo Infinite and Gears Tactics and Forza Horizon 5. That would be a launch lineup ANYONE would drool over. Hell, I think it'd be funny for them to lean into the 'launching with the holy trinity' marketing. Self-awareness helps. And again, A Halo Game, a Gears Game, and a Forza game all launching with the console? Dare I say, that might be one of the best if not THE best launch lineup of all time. 

Instead, it launched with nothing and went with a year-long drought. all it has is marginally stronger processing on multiplatform games and GamePass. Both of which are good, but not the system sellers they seem to think. 

And for @LudicrousSpeed, who seems to think the excuse of 'games take a while to make' is a reasonable explanation for the drought...again, on paper that makes sense. But there's been a drought for 4 years already. Insomniac alone was able to release Miles morales, Update Spider-Man Remastered, and Release the outstanding Rift Apart all within one year. There's no way one relatively small company can release three amazing games in quick succession but 23 studios can't figure something out in 4 years. That's not good will, that's bad management. I honestly can't think of a better explanation. Games DO take time, but Nintendo and Sony were able to maintain a pretty solid pace throughout. Why can't Microsoft? 

And until they can, the idea that Xbox will catch up to Playstation or Nintendo is, well, ludicrous. 

**Edit** Just did some deeper dives/research and found out that Microsoft Flight Simulator and Twelve Minutes have also been finally released on XSX, so add that to the list (4 games) and add it to the 'ultimate XSX Lineup'. Halo, Gears, Forza, and Microsoft Flight Simulator with indie darling DEath's Door? Amazing. IT's also worth noting my requirements for inclusion on the list are, 75 or higher, 20 reviews, can't be on competing consoles but can be on prior generations of that brand or PC. Same rules apply to all three brands. So if a game was on WiiU or PC but isn't on PS or XB consoles? Counts. On PS4 and PS5 but not XB/NS? Counts. On XBO and XSX but not PS/NS? Counts. As long as it has 20 reviews. There were many games I found on Switch, PS5, and XSX that had like 8-14 reviews but I didn't add those to the above lists because, well, if they are so small only 8-14 outlets reviewed them, then they're not moving the needle. Plus it gets rid of a lot of tiny little nothing games that would gum up the works. 

Last edited by Runa216 - on 29 August 2021

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

SKMBlake said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

GamePass is constantly evolving and getting better, the place it was in four years ago is completely different than now. It’s not all that similar to Now either, because it offers bigger games and offers them day one at times, too. It’s also offering DLCs now. It’s not going to have a huge effect on sales until it reaches a wider audience, which MS is working on with xCloud and the GamePass smart device. 

Yeah but we saw that half of the "day one" games coming out this year were pretty lackluster (Outriders, The Medium, The Ascent, The Falconeer) so it started this trend where when a game is announced "day one Game Pass", people started to think that will probably bad rated.

Never played Falconeer (which released in 2020 by the way, not this year) but there's nothing "lackluster" about the other three games. And I don't see anyone perpetuating this supposed thought of bad rated games except jaded gamers invested in console warz. I don't give those people or their input any worth at all. I actually pity them, to value the rating journalists give a game over their own experience. My most played game of all time is a 58 on Metacritic. Look at a game you mentioned, Falconeer. In the 60's meta on Xbox. Yuck! Why should I even waste my time! Same game on Switch, 80 rated. What a laughably flawed way to look at things.

Also idk what you're talking about with half the day one games this year being "bad rated".

80+ rating:
Cyber Shadow
Yakuza Collection
Flight Sim
The Show 21
Psychonauts 2
Genesis Noir
Octopath Traveler
Undertale
Knockout City
Hades
Dodgeball Academia
Art of Rally

70+ rating:
Wild at Heart
The Medium
Rain on Your Parade
MechWarrior 5
Outriders
Worms Rumble
Cris Tales
Atomicrops
Omno

The only two games I have come across that launched on Xbox this year and reviewed below a 70 are The Ascent, and Last Stop. I've never played Last Stop, but Ascent is far from a bad game imho, regardless of what the almighty reviewers say. What exactly do you consider to be a "bad rating", lol? Because to me this list shows that even if you for some reason give a shit about meta scores, GamePass offered a ton of day one Xbox games and a vast majority of them are quite good.

LudicrousSpeed said:
SKMBlake said:

Never played Falconeer (which released in 2020 by the way, not this year) but there's nothing "lackluster" about the other three games. And I don't see anyone perpetuating this supposed thought of bad rated games except jaded gamers invested in console warz. I don't give those people or their input any worth at all. I actually pity them, to value the rating journalists give a game over their own experience. My most played game of all time is a 58 on Metacritic. Look at a game you mentioned, Falconeer. In the 60's meta on Xbox. Yuck! Why should I even waste my time! Same game on Switch, 80 rated. What a laughably flawed way to look at things.

Also idk what you're talking about with half the day one games this year being "bad rated".

80+ rating:
Cyber Shadow
Yakuza Collection
Flight Sim
The Show 21
Psychonauts 2
Genesis Noir
Octopath Traveler
Undertale
Knockout City
Hades
Dodgeball Academia
Art of Rally

70+ rating:
Wild at Heart
The Medium
Rain on Your Parade
MechWarrior 5
Outriders
Worms Rumble
Cris Tales
Atomicrops
Omno

The only two games I have come across that launched on Xbox this year and reviewed below a 70 are The Ascent, and Last Stop. I've never played Last Stop, but Ascent is far from a bad game imho, regardless of what the almighty reviewers say. What exactly do you consider to be a "bad rating", lol? Because to me this list shows that even if you for some reason give a shit about meta scores, GamePass offered a ton of day one Xbox games and a vast majority of them are quite good.

If you start to count late ports as "day one gp", that's a whole new issue we might have. Cause Yakuza collection, Octopath Traveler, Undertale, Hades, or Flight Simulator, great to play them on Game Pass, but I wouldn't count them as "day one game pass" games.

Around the Network

They launched on Xbox into GamePass. They are day one GamePass titles. The list speaks for itself ?

LudicrousSpeed said:

They launched on Xbox into GamePass. They are day one GamePass titles. The list speaks for itself 😁

Does it really, though? For a list that 'speaks for itself' you really had to put in a lot of work as its hype-man. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Yikes, I hope some of the crew comes around and upvotes that cringe shit for you. Here, I’ll throw you on for pity sake. The list was easy to make and is full of great games. Per usual, your perspective and reality are going together like lamb and tuna fish.

They launched day one on Xbox and on Game Pass, he's right.

Runa216 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

I stand by what I said months ago that there’s no way the X|S beats PS5, but after almost a year of owning a Series X, I couldn’t be happier about choosing it over a PS5. And mainly because of what you outlined in your original post, the value. It starts with the hardware. For the same price I get a more powerful system. But then there’s the controllers. I can play co-op SX games right now using all of my six or seven Xbone controllers alongside my SX controller. If I wanted to play Overcooked on PS5, I’d need to either install the PS4 version and use that one to use my DS4 controllers, or buy multiple $70 DualSense controllers. Yuck.

You were also right about GamePass, it’s been insane value already this gen and will only get more insane once all these studios start dropping games. But just in the last half of 2021 there will be/have been Flight Sim, Hades, Psychonauts 2, Halo, FH5, Back 4 Blood, 12 Minutes, AoE4, State of Decay Homecoming, etc etc.

I think it all hinges on GamePass for them. They can really make up some ground if GamePass takes off. When Nintendo charges $60 for games that never go down in price and Sony charges $70 for games, the value is just too good.

I dunno, man, GamePass has been out for more than four years, and while everyone seems to agree it's a good service...it hasn't had much of an impact on console sales. No more than PSNow (which is a similar but less-known service). 

The power differential between the consoles is negligible, and how can anyone say the XSX's controller is better? I dunno, man, I still don't see it and PS5 is still regularly selling almost 2x what Xbox is on a week to week basis. A similar ratio to last generation. 

I think the only thing Xbox can do is release some games. so far, we're nearing the 1 year anniversary of these consoles and Xbox still only has two exclusives. a Gears tactics game and Death's Door. Halo doesn't come out until December, and I don't personally know of any games that are coming out between them. On the flip side, Sony has countless exclusives - some cross generational, some Gen 8 remasters/rereleases, some indies, some on PC, some that are pure exclusive - and I think gamers worldwide know this. 

As far as I can tell, this generation's competition doesn't start until Halo comes out, and hopefully with every few months when something like Forza Horizon 5, Avowed, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield, etc comes out. They've got a lot in the pipeline and damn near unlimited potential, but this generational battle really doesn't start until they start releasing games that can't be bought on the competition. 

PS now is nothing like gamepass, at all. PSnow uses streaming, and unless you have a very fast internet, your game will be lagging.

Xbox controller will always be better for the fact they actually have an official pro controller which is better than any ps controller, I have the elite 2 for my PC and I have the ps5 and I have to use kontrolfreeks just so its half decent. Battery on the xbox controller is 4x the one on ps5.

Sales this generation means nothing as both consoles are out of stock.

This generation xbox is doing a lot more than last gen, so don't expect to be a copy of last generation

1 - Gamepass is getting popular, especially now that games on ps5 are 70 dollars

2 - This time xbox is the more powerful console compared to last gen

3 - This time xbox s the most stable console software wise, I cant tell you how many times switching on after rest mode and I cant move on the home screen, and a couple times the image was all black, no signal, but fortunately its an easy fix. Hopefully the new update will fix some of these issues.

4 - This time xbox has bethesda, so exclusives like fallout, doom, prey, wolfenstein, elder scrolls will all be xbox. And they are starting with a bang with Starfield and Halo infinite, also forza horizon 5, which is not my cup of tea but its a big one.

Personally I'm happy to have the ps5 and switch, because my PC has all xbox games and its on the same level power wise, if I didnt have the PC I'd have bought an xbox instead of ps5. I'm happy I can play ghost of tsushima, last of us 2, demon souls, etc