By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3 of the worst genres in video games today? what do think?

Rogue-like
Souls-like
Battle Royale

Basically all the currently popular ones. Nothing but time wasters.

Around the Network

JRPG
Souls-like
Sports sims, I love the genre but majority of them are doodoo nowadays

Sports genre
Turned based rpgs (not all rpgs)
Racing sims (not games like Mario Kart though)

The reason I don't particularly like these genres is because I don't really enjoy them. I don't watch enough sports to really delve into those sports games unless it's an over the top game like NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, Mario Strikers, etc. Turn base rpgs I find very boring. I just can't get into them. As much as I try. Racing sims are hit or miss for me. Either I come across a racing game I like or one I dislike. The latter comes in droves though, so I just added racing to list. Love games like Mario Kart, Sonic Racing, etc.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Shmups had a huge comeback the last decade WTF are you on about? Something does not need to sell 1 million to be profitable. Those games are made on small budgets that even 500k for many of them is a massive success. Also Nier Automata sold 5 million and a chunk of that game is a Shmup directly inspired by Ikaruga.

In terms of relevance.

Arcade Racer. We have some good indies but no studio is willing to do a true 90s Arcade racing game.
8th gen lacked really fun fast paced TPS games like a new VanQuish or Binary Domain
*th gen lacked Armored Core. I love DXM but that's a more arcadey game. Which I prefer but still be nice to have a real AC game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

FPS
Sports
Life Sims

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
Leynos said:

Shmups had a huge comeback the last decade WTF are you on about? Something does not need to sell 1 million to be profitable. Those games are made on small budgets that even 500k for many of them is a massive success. Also Nier Automata sold 5 million and a chunk of that game is a Shmup directly inspired by Ikaruga.

In terms of relevance.

Arcade Racer. We have some good indies but no studio is willing to do a true 90s Arcade racing game.
8th gen lacked really fun fast paced TPS games like a new VanQuish or Binary Domain
*th gen lacked Armored Core. I love DXM but that's a more arcadey game. Which I prefer but still be nice to have a real AC game.

I was talking about traditional shmup, Nier automata is different many consider it an RPG , not a full blown Shmup. If you bring out the alternate sub genre shmup thats not a true full blown , I do't consider onrails as shmup there onrails not actual shmup which is why many complain comparing both on rail and traditional are not the sameSInce they play off so differently also in Nier you move differently compared to onrails it plays more like action adventureWhat comeback? Natsuki chronicles? crimson clover, R type final 2 ? these are real shmup, what comeback? I support shmup but I only support Vertical and horizontal full blown that is true shmup genre . If madden start having RPG elements is it truly rpg or is its main focus still sport sim?

Shmups are constantly being released on modern systems. That says all. R-Type Final 2 just released. I didn't say Nier was a shmup. I said a chunk of it was.

1. Party games, the novelty wears off after 2 seconds
2. Board games, missing the point entirely
3. Sports games, I do like racing games and SSX though, yet FIFA, NHL, MBL, NFL, DHL, all crap.

The real worst genre is the free to pay genre. No thanks, I like to waste my time on my own terms.

- Interactive narrative whatever (adventure, point-and-click, etc) To me these sorts of games are like interactive movies. If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie. And it'll usually have far better writing and a far more interesting story to boot.

- puzzle games (I highly value replay value and it's usually pretty awful with this genre). Obviously not talking about the arcadey "puzzle" games like Tetris, quite like those actually, but rather, stuff like Portal, Zack and Wiki.

- Sports/racing sims (too complicated. I do really like the arcadey variants on these genres though, NFL blitz, The Bigs, Mario Kart, Burnout, etc).

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

dx11332sega said:
Leynos said:

Shmups are constantly being released on modern systems. That says all. R-Type Final 2 just released. I didn't say Nier was a shmup. I said a chunk of it was.

Ok but I know shmups are getting released constantly but mostly from indie side but there relevance and sales dont bring in the masses , even the lowlyu racing genre brings masses Full blown racers like forza horizon and gran turismo . I didnt mean it like that I i'll add nier there but its impact is small compared to othewrs though i dont consider it a real shmup .I like nier automata .

Shmups always have been somewhat niche. Fuck the masses. They ruin things. Shmups are popular within a certain niche and does just fine there. They do well enough to get physical releases in this day and age. All we need to know.

Rouge-like.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS