By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 overtaking the (Dead) 360 Anytime soon? Not really...

@dsoverpsp

In software sales? Not really... Maybe if you count bundles but keep in mind that Nintendo's profit on those is nothing or really small. (wii sports, wii play, links crossbow)

In any case, even if wii takes over the software sales in NA I am pretty confident that 360 wont "die". LOL...

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
disolitude said:
If PS3 does outsell the 360 in late 2009 or 2010 it will be because sales in Japan or Europe...

For me and people living in the North America, this does not mean anything as Xbox 360 will always be the console to play on our continent.

I am not saying that I won't ever buy a PS3...however I will buy it to play the the PS3 exclusives only. Multi platform games will be played on the 360 here as the friends list for the 360 is massive.

Also, when it comes to software sales, NA market sells about as much as Europe and japan COMBINED!

Therefore anyone saying that 360 is dead when PS3 overtakes it worldwide is wrong. NA market has the 360 dominating and that alone is reason enough to have the 360 be the console of choice for 3rd party developers.

PS. Starcraft...change your signature as Ikaruga is rated 90 on metacritic and is the 12th 360 game in that club. :)

Look up some PC software charts and say that again.

We are kinda going all over the place now arent we? Throwing in Wii , PC in a thread which is about PS3 outselling 360... Seems like an all out attack on the 360...lol

It was no attack, but North Americans have a tendency to brush of the rest of the world as insignificant is all, and it just so happens that even the Nordic countries sell more PC software than North America despite having only a fraction of the populace.

disolitude said:
@dsoverpsp

In software sales? Not really... Maybe if you count bundles but keep in mind that Nintendo's profit on those is nothing or really small. (wii sports, wii play, links crossbow)

In any case, even if wii takes over the software sales in NA I am pretty confident that 360 wont "die". LOL...

yeah the 360 won't die

but the Wii is gaining on the 360 in Software. Basically every week, Wii sells more SW 

dsoverpsp said:
disolitude said:
@dsoverpsp

yeah the 360 won't die

but the Wii is gaining on the 360 in Software. Basically every week, Wii sells more SW

I don't see it man...

Last week 837,860 vs 766,150 for xbox

April 5 week - 994,293 vs 977,240 for wii

March 29th - 1,151,962 vs 929,416 for 360

March 22 - 1,606,412 vs 1,427,420 for wii (Smash brothers pullin in big numbers...)

April 29th when GTA comes out the chart will surely put 360 well ahead. They basically go back and forth but wii includes bundles which makes no profit for 1st party companies or 3rd party companies as its not an actual sale of a software when its included for free...

Hence 360 wins in software "sales" every week.

Around the Network

calling all your SDF fanboy come back to reality!!!!!!!
read numbers not playbeyond signs!!!
first looking current sales numbers the 360 have a 6.5mil lead over ps3, now lets play around with this number game. Lets say start from next month of may, the ps3 will continuously out sold the 360 of 500k a month, it'll still need to take a good 13 months period for it to catch up on the 360. Let me ask now what are the chance of ps3 outselling 360 500k a month for the next 13 months????
sony had won the format war but that does not mean ps3 can always keep its price level the same as a standalone players, if I recall from ps2 era. The price drop rate on dvd players droped alot faster than ps2, if we carry this trend over to the current format. I bet when the holiday comes around we'll see standalone players cost 50-100 dollar less than ps3.

hat's what analyst get paid to do, and man do they get paid well :)

No analysts get paid to predict how much is sold in the future. Thats very different to just take the current situation and assume that everything will be like this till eternity. Because analysts do NOT do that they get paid well. (Although they are mostly idiotic too)

Kyros said:
Taking current sales and extrapolating them into the future is pretty much bullshit.

Taking current sales and looking at what is happening in the near-term future is the way business trends are predicted. I suggest you get a book entitled "Against The Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk". Without the past -- i.e. current and past trends, you can have no future as you can't make predictions based on some concrete data. Before statistics, everything was the will of the Gods. Thinking people tend to look at the past, learn from it, add in some analysis, and make a prediction going forward. Have you got some other metod -- i.e. a crystal ball -- that is more accurate that extrapolation? If so, enlighten us.

My statement above makes a number of assumptions and I pretty much indicated them as they have to be made for my analysis to stand. Clearly any one of my assumptions can change which changes the analysis but you already know that, don't you?

Lastly, yes, there are exclusives coming out for the PS3. Yes, there are exclusives coming out for the 360. We can assume there will be "bumps" from them. We can assume there will be bumps from price adjustments. I don't believe any of them will be significant, on a long-term basis, to drastically change my analysis above. Perhaps a handful of months, but I don't see it changing by a year. Again, see my original statement that MS is going to do everything in its power to keep the gap from getting any bigger. We don't yet know what those might be, do we? We also don't know what Sony would do to counter.

What if MS had a new slim-line sku this holiday that was cheaper and included Gears, Forza 2, and a handful of other top-shelf titles for, say, $199. Will they do it? I highly doubt it, but it would be a rather significant event none-the-less. My point here is that there are a few known variables -- FFXIII, GT5, MGS4, etc. on the PS3 side as well as a handful on the 360. Yeah, these will skew results along the way... BUT there are so many other unknowns at the moment that I'll stick with original post as where I think the consoles will end up over the next couple of years...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

in the near-term future

IS the important point here. The further you look into the future the less relevant it becomes. When you start to extrapolate that into 3 years it gets ridiculous.

I mean it is a nice what...if but nothing else.

Price cuts only help if people what the system in the first place. The reason the 360 price cut didn't help much in the UK, is most people who wanted a 360 had one.

This is just my guess, but a huge amount of people what a PS3, but are not willing to pay for it. Once the price drops come, they will buy one.

Sony sold a lot more PS2's under $200 then above it. That's the number they need to hit before these things fly off the shelves. As for who will hit $199 (with a hard drive in it) first, I am going to go with Sony on this one. They are a consumer electronics company, and do this kind of thing very well.

One of MS's OEM manufacturers stop taking orders for the 360 a few months back. The reason is MS wanted them to produce it at a price they could not meet. The 360 is probably selling right at cost right now. There is not much in it that's going to go down anytime soon. The CPU generates a lot of heat, and that cost money to deal with. The DVD is already cheep, the HD is already cheep. Cost reduction for MS right now is a disaster. Sony on the other hand has high prices because they have new technology in there box that cost a lot to make. Over time, these things will get cheaper.

If you had to ask me the #1 reason the PS2 beat the x-box, I would say MS's inability to keep up with price reductions. Right now the PS2 cost $129. If MS was still making the x-box, there is no why in hell they could sell it for that price.