By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 2-8 - Switch Sales Top 85 Million

Almost 400k free golden week is still pretty impressive

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

VG Chartz 18 Week Sell-Through

-NSW 2021 passes 8M in record time. 

-Gap over 2020 has shrunk to 476K

-Next week is the last megatron 2020 NSW week to compete with (603K!!), lead should shrink down to around 275K, but after that, NSW 2021 should start re-building its buffer

-10M looks to be on track for either week 22 or week 23.  Will be a record either way.

-Q2 seems to be on pace for 5.4 - 5.5M sold

@trunkswd Switch sell-through for US these last two weeks has tapered from earlier in April despite the release of Pokemon Snap.  Is it stock issues or just a natural waning given the timeframe (and probably dropping off from the impact of March stimulus)?

trunkswd said:
mk7sx said:

@trunkswd Switch sell-through for US these last two weeks has tapered from earlier in April despite the release of Pokemon Snap.  Is it stock issues or just a natural waning given the timeframe (and probably dropping off from the impact of March stimulus)?

It is a bit of everything, plus Pokemon Snap isn't a big system seller. Switch sales in the US are actually slightly up year-over-year for the past week.

Cool!  Thanks for the info!

Yeah I noticed the YoY.  Last year had ugly stock troubles in the US from mid-May till mid-Aug so I expect NPD gains this year during most of the summer frame.

Nintendo does what Nintendo Switch. It took PS2 5yrs to reach 100mil, but Switch will do it in the 4th.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Around the Network

If Nintendo predicted less units shipped for fiscal year 21 compared to FY 20.

When do we start to see a decrease?

Mar1217 said:
spynx said:

Nintendo does what Nintendo Switch. It took PS2 5yrs to reach 100mil, but Switch will do it in the 4th.

We're already in the Switch 5th year on the market. Timeframe will be similar. (I don't know the exact details myself)

PS2 hit 100M shipped in its 6th full Fiscal Year, in either quarter 25 or 26.  Though it should be noted that Sony's quarterly reporting was "production shipments" and not sell-in like they do today.  So its a number that precedes sell-in to retailers.

NSW will hit 100M shipped almost certainly in this year's holiday quarter, which is Q3 in its 5th full Fiscal Year.  That will be quarter 20, so more than a year ahead of the PS2's mark.

Mar1217 said:
spynx said:

We're already in the Switch 5th year on the market. Timeframe will be similar. (I don't know the exact details myself)

"in it's 5th year" & "5 years" are not the same though.

If something "takes 5 years" it means it happened on or after the 5th "birthday"... whereas the 5th year of something starts immediately after it's 4th birthday.

-----

As for the actual time taken: PS2 shipped 100 million by the end of November 2005, which was 5 years & 8 months after initial launch in Japan, & just over 5 years after worldwide launch (US launch in Oct 2000 & EU launch was Nov 2000)

PS4 technically got to 100 million shipped in about the same time (end of June 2019 is 5y8m after launch) but regional launches were closer together.

Switch will surpass 100 million shipped during this years holiday quarter, we won't know exactly when unless Nintendo announces it, but based on current shipment total as of March 31st (84.59m) & last years Q1 & Q2 sales (12.53m) it should be >97m by end of September so it will most likely be in October/November, which will be 4 years & 7 or 8 months.

About 1 year quicker than the PS4 to the 100m mark, direct comparison with PS2 is tricky as the least important region (Japan) launched so much earlier, but it will be at least 6m quicker than PS2.

mk7sx said:
Mar1217 said:

PS2 hit 100M shipped in its 6th full Fiscal Year, in either quarter 25 or 26.  Though it should be noted that Sony's quarterly reporting was "production shipments" and not sell-in like they do today.  So its a number that precedes sell-in to retailers.

NSW will hit 100M shipped almost certainly in this year's holiday quarter, which is Q3 in its 5th full Fiscal Year.  That will be quarter 20, so more than a year ahead of the PS2's mark.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, looking at the quarterlies the production shipments seem to precede sell-in figures by at least 1-3 months (3m ending September was often, but not always the biggest quarter of the year)

mk7sx said:

VG Chartz 18 Week Sell-Through

-NSW 2021 passes 8M in record time. 

-Gap over 2020 has shrunk to 476K

-Next week is the last megatron 2020 NSW week to compete with (603K!!), lead should shrink down to around 275K, but after that, NSW 2021 should start re-building its buffer

-10M looks to be on track for either week 22 or week 23.  Will be a record either way.

-Q2 seems to be on pace for 5.4 - 5.5M sold

Back in January, I wasn't sure if Switch could keep up this kind of pace, but now I'm a believer.  NSW 2021 is still ahead of NSW 2020 even after facing most of Animal Crossing's biggest weeks.  That's amazing!  Software in 2020 was all about Animal Crossing and nothing else.  Switch basically had several small to medium titles for the rest of the year.  NSW 2021 is guaranteed to have better software in its second half compared to NSW 2020.

I can't wait to see what they'll reveal at E3.  At this point, I'm already convinced Switch will sell 30m+ this year.  I just want to know if they are going to sell a bit over 30m or if they'll go several million over that.  On top of that there's a new hardware revision on the way.  Just think about that.  NSW 2021 is already outpacing NSW 2020 during the best Animal Crossing weeks and there is still a hardware revision to come.  Switch is definitely setting the annual sales record this year.