By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the glory days of online multiplayer gaming over?

I haven't played online multiplayer for over 10 years, except during an mmo where it's mandatory, glory days are long gone for me.
Multiplayer is only satisfying for me when it's done locally, with a couple of buddies that are sitting besides you.

Around the Network

Multiplayer is bigger and more accessible than its ever been with so many games on many platforms. So no, not really. Chances are you'll come across toxic people online in almost every match-up.

But the 'glory days' for online MP is always subjective to ones experience and bias on played games and respective releases. For me, the best times are always with real friends and family and that goes for gaming and local multiplayer. Online works as well RL friends, as can playing with others competitively/co-op, depending on community.

Last edited by hinch - on 18 May 2021

I love the way Nintendo handeled Splatoon 2 in regards to multiplayer.

No voice chat so people actually use the qick team communication command (given that 95% of the time Booyah! is the one people use :) ). Bit still multiplayer and a team effort with real players.

Damn adicting, my most played switch game.

Online gaming is good fun with friends. Online gaming with randos is good if you like to be yelled at by foul mouthed ADHD kids who can't handle losing.

Nothing beats couch multiplayer.