By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Apr 18-24 - Switch Sells 468K, PS5 Sells 188K, XS Sells 88K

Jumpin said:

Switch is barreling through town like an unstoppable crazed sturmbeest.

This last year has been perfect for the system, while the global lockdown has meant that traveling with the system has been pretty much not possible for a lot of countries big families being in lockdown have looked to the Switch to allow people to play big console games on a small handheld which they can carry off to their room to allow people peace and quiet, each system coming with it's own controllers, screen, battery and just a single charger or usb C phone charging cable needed to top it up when it's running low on juice.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ganoncrotch said:

What you think about a Odyssey 2 in the same lines as Galaxy 2? More or less the exact same game engine with just new stages and story so they could make it far faster than most games on the system.

I could see Splatoon 3 on time or ahead of schedule too unless the team is pulled to another project, keep in mind they'll have been working on that since Splatoon 2 had the last Splatfest which is over a year ago now and again it's going to be using almost all of Splatoon 2's code in the background I'd say, that game works amazing on the Switch's hardware, very little work needed in that area imo.

In both cases the teams were working on other projects since the release of Odyssey and Splatoon 2, respectively. The Bowser's Fury part of Super Mario 3D World on Switch was done by the Odyssey team. I am less sure about the Splatoon team; I think they made Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but I could be mixing things up.

But I wouldn't expect an Odyssey sequel to land in 2021 anyway. The way Switch has been selling, it's strategically more sound for Nintendo to spread out their big hitters when they probably have lined up Breath of the Wild 2 to launch alongside the hardware revision and the Pokémon remake being confirmed as a holiday title. Zelda, Mario and Pokémon in the span of three months (September to November) would be a killer lineup, but not really beneficial for hardware momentum when it's already a challenge to keep up with demand to begin with.

The thing about Nintendo's in-house development teams is that there isn't strict separation between them. Employees can get assigned to support other teams during the final stages of development as needed, so the usual logic of "this studio hasn't released a game since year 20XX, so we can tell when their next game is coming" doesn't quite hold up. Right now Breath of the Wild 2 might need the most attention, so expecting other games to be ahead of schedule is very optimistic, to say the least.

I guess the unification of the Nintendo handheld and home console teams has done great for them so far this generation as well, now you're not pulling someone from working on 3ds games at 240p and asking them to work on the WiiU 1080p content, it's asking them to step from games on the exact same platform every time. I'm loving the Switch so far and have a huge backlog already of new games, ports of old titles and an amount of indie games which I don't think I could ever get through, just hope the good times keep coming for years to come.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Xbox Series and PS4 are getting too close for comfort in Europe again.

RolStoppable said:
Ganoncrotch said:

What you think about a Odyssey 2 in the same lines as Galaxy 2? More or less the exact same game engine with just new stages and story so they could make it far faster than most games on the system.

I could see Splatoon 3 on time or ahead of schedule too unless the team is pulled to another project, keep in mind they'll have been working on that since Splatoon 2 had the last Splatfest which is over a year ago now and again it's going to be using almost all of Splatoon 2's code in the background I'd say, that game works amazing on the Switch's hardware, very little work needed in that area imo.

In both cases the teams were working on other projects since the release of Odyssey and Splatoon 2, respectively. The Bowser's Fury part of Super Mario 3D World on Switch was done by the Odyssey team. I am less sure about the Splatoon team; I think they made Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but I could be mixing things up.

But I wouldn't expect an Odyssey sequel to land in 2021 anyway. The way Switch has been selling, it's strategically more sound for Nintendo to spread out their big hitters when they probably have lined up Breath of the Wild 2 to launch alongside the hardware revision and the Pokémon remake being confirmed as a holiday title. Zelda, Mario and Pokémon in the span of three months (September to November) would be a killer lineup, but not really beneficial for hardware momentum when it's already a challenge to keep up with demand to begin with.

The thing about Nintendo's in-house development teams is that there isn't strict separation between them. Employees can get assigned to support other teams during the final stages of development as needed, so the usual logic of "this studio hasn't released a game since year 20XX, so we can tell when their next game is coming" doesn't quite hold up. Right now Breath of the Wild 2 might need the most attention, so expecting other games to be ahead of schedule is very optimistic, to say the least.

Any update about Bayonetta 3?

@trunkswd 

Famitsu/MC week 18/17. (Apr 26 - May 02, 2021).

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I'm working on some new monthly sales comparison charts that I plan to start for the April charts as that marks 6 months of the new consoles.

• PS5 vs PS3
  • XS vs X360
  • PS5 vs NS 
  • XS vs NS

Quick question. Do I turn the PS5 vs XS vs NS, PS5 vs PS4, and XS vs XOne weekly charts into monthly charts now or shall I continue doing those weekly until we get to a year or so of them being available? 

It could be a case of more is less? A new comparison post every 2 days is a lot of work for you and info that could go unread in comparison to having the 7 of these to work on over the month, that's kinda still 2 a week or so, fair amount of Charts for the Chartz. Viewer metrics on the articles is your best way to say maybe? change to a month and see if they get 4x the current views when you do post them or at least enough views to make up for the reduced workload on you.

trunkswd said:

I'm working on some new monthly sales comparison charts that I plan to start for the April charts as that marks 6 months of the new consoles.

• PS5 vs PS3
  • XS vs X360
  • PS5 vs NS 
  • XS vs NS

Quick question. Do I turn the PS5 vs XS vs NS, PS5 vs PS4, and XS vs XOne weekly charts into monthly charts now or shall I continue doing those weekly until we get to a year or so of them being available? 

Looking forward to the new monthly comparison charts! :)

Personally I think monthly is enough.

UK 2021 April Data

Hardware

1. NSW

2. XBS

3. PS4 (you read that right)

4. PS5

5. XBO

Notes

-April 2021: ~90,000 units of hardware sold (down 59% from April 2020, which was start of UK lockdown; this is still +35% from April 2019 FYI)

-PS5 stock suffered big time

-2021 YTD NSW and PS5 are pretty close (this was also the comment back in March, with NSW slightly ahead at the time)

-NSW 2021 vs. 2020 YTD unknown (was +13.6% through March)

trunkswd said:
mk7sx said:

UK 2021 April Data

Hardware

1. NSW

2. XBS

3. PS4 (you read that right)

4. PS5

5. XBO

Notes

-April 2021: ~90,000 units of hardware sold (down 59% from April 2020, which was start of UK lockdown; this is still +35% from April 2019 FYI)

-PS5 stock suffered big time

-2021 YTD NSW and PS5 are pretty close (this was also the comment back in March, with NSW slightly ahead at the time)

-NSW 2021 vs. 2020 YTD unknown (was +13.6% through March)

I am trying to figure out the monthly sales for each console in the UK and make adjustments to our numbers. 90,000 is quite low. There must have been next to no PS5 stock with the PS4 outselling it. 

Yes PS5 had to have dropped to close to 0 in April.

March 2021 was 217K consoles sold with PS5 surging past 100K.  April 2021 is 90K consoles sold, with PS4 of all things ahead of PS5.  Easiest jump is that PS5 fell >90% if NSW/XBS are flat-ish from March to April.

March

1. PS5

2. XBS

3. NSW (up 13.6% YTD from 2020, probably down vs. pure March 2020 but no comment was given)

Total ~217,000 (Sounds like NSW/XBS both around 40-50K and we know PS5 was >100K).