By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft keeps getting better and better! Will it ever end?

Dunno about that... Microsoft is a shadow of what it used to be in the 90s. Windows had 95% market share at one point.

Nowadays, Google and Android are the big guys. Apple is the "designer clothing" one. Valve is the cool one. Linux is the techie one.

Mircrosoft í starting to look a lot like IBM. Big and corporate, and on the way down.

Around the Network
OneTime said:

Dunno about that... Microsoft is a shadow of what it used to be in the 90s. Windows had 95% market share at one point.

Nowadays, Google and Android are the big guys. Apple is the "designer clothing" one. Valve is the cool one. Linux is the techie one.

Mircrosoft í starting to look a lot like IBM. Big and corporate, and on the way down.

Microsoft is looking to be only the second company to be valued at over 2 trillion dollars... Beating the likes of Amazon and Google. 

Pretty impressive shadow... I guess...?

ironmanDX said:

Microsoft is looking to be only the second company to be valued at over 2 trillion dollars... Beating the likes of Amazon and Google. 

Not really...  Market Cap is just a number (and the first company over both one and two trillion was Apple).  Tobacco companies are worth a chunk of money too, if that's how you value it.

In the old days, Microsoft was like Google but without any competition what-so-ever.  Apple was basically bankrupt (wish you had bought at $10 a share?).  If you bought any computing device to do anything serious it pretty much ran Windows.  Nowadays you actually have a choice to use Microsoft software or not.  That definitely wasn't the case in the past.  

Microsoft lost the technology thought-leadership years ago, basically when Bill Gates left.  Now all the technical stuff starts in Linux, and often it's Google and IBM doing it.  You could even argue that Xbox/Playstation are AMD, and PC gaming is Nvidia.

OneTime said:
ironmanDX said:

Not really...  Market Cap is just a number (and the first company over both one and two trillion was Apple).  Tobacco companies are worth a chunk of money too, if that's how you value it.

In the old days, Microsoft was like Google but without any competition what-so-ever.  Apple was basically bankrupt (wish you had bought at $10 a share?).  If you bought any computing device to do anything serious it pretty much ran Windows.  Nowadays you actually have a choice to use Microsoft software or not.  That definitely wasn't the case in the past.  

Microsoft lost the technology thought-leadership years ago, basically when Bill Gates left.  Now all the technical stuff starts in Linux, and often it's Google and IBM doing it.  You could even argue that Xbox/Playstation are AMD, and PC gaming is Nvidia.

Marketshare is also just a number but you didn't mind using that to prove why Microsoft sucks now. 

Microsoft is rip

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Now if only Microsoft had some exclusives people cared about.

Love and tolerate.

Raven said:

Marketshare is also just a number but you didn't mind using that to prove why Microsoft sucks now. 

Did I say that Microsoft sucks now?  They're still a very big player, just not the industry thought-leaders they were in the 90s-2010s.  I don't think that even needs proving, it's just history.  

Great companies are led by great thinkers:  Bill Gates/Elon Musk/Larry Page/Sergei Brin/Steve Jobs.  When they leave, there is a vacuum, and the company coasts.

OneTime said:
Raven said:

Did I say that Microsoft sucks now?  They're still a very big player, just not the industry thought-leaders they were in the 90s-2010s.  I don't think that even needs proving, it's just history.  

Great companies are led by great thinkers:  Bill Gates/Elon Musk/Larry Page/Sergei Brin/Steve Jobs.  When they leave, there is a vacuum, and the company coasts.

You're literally basing that on nothing though. Microsoft does not just use Windows to prove that it is an industry leader anymore, it uses a multitude of other services and technologies. If the company was "coasting", it would be showing up on their balance sheets, which we can clearly see is not the case.

Raven said:
OneTime said:

You're literally basing that on nothing though. Microsoft does not just use Windows to prove that it is an industry leader anymore, it uses a multitude of other services and technologies. If the company was "coasting", it would be showing up on their balance sheets, which we can clearly see is not the case.

Microsoft just isn't where hard-core techies go any more.  They do a lot of Azure cloud stuff, but it's pretty boring corporate stuff - just rehashing Active Directory in a web browser.  They don't really have much of a consumer product section, their tablets are dead, their phones are dead, etc.  They certainly aren't changing the world any more.  

You need to understand just how innovative Microsoft used to be - they used to be what Google and Elon Musk are now.  They stood alone in technology.

In any case - Oracle is also coasting, to a certain extent IBM, maybe even Facebook now.  It hasn't stopped them raking in money.

OneTime said:
Raven said:

Microsoft just isn't where hard-core techies go any more.  They do a lot of Azure cloud stuff, but it's pretty boring corporate stuff - just rehashing Active Directory in a web browser.  They don't really have much of a consumer product section, their tablets are dead, their phones are dead, etc.  They certainly aren't changing the world any more.  

You need to understand just how innovative Microsoft used to be - they used to be what Google and Elon Musk are now.  They stood alone in technology.

In any case - Oracle is also coasting, to a certain extent IBM, maybe even Facebook now.  It hasn't stopped them raking in money.

I'm failing to see at what point Microsoft has ever not had enterprise as its main focus, and when they've ever had a popular consumer product aside from Xbox in the past. Their tablets are also not dead, the division that produces them is making more money than they have before. 

Microsoft Surface FY21 Q2 revenue hits over $2 billion for the first time | Windows Central

"Falling under More Personal Computing is Microsoft's Surface devices, which for the first time broke $2 billion, a modest increase year over year of three percent."

This stuff is easily searchable, to me it just seems you have a preconceived notion about the company and are just trying to use anecdotes to justify it.