By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Activision finally become worse than EA? Toys 4 Bob moved to CoD support, every Acti studio now on CoD

Please change the title, that's a clickbait title, and it doesn't do justice to the topic

Around the Network

They both suck, but at least Activision still makes great games.

Wait, so Toys for Bob, the creators of the incredibly succesful Skylanders series, one of the most succesful and most profitable IPs of the 7th gen, and the studio that has brought Crash Bandicoot back into relevance, is now relegated to a support studio for CoD? How is that a logic business decission? How much support does CoD need to function, anyway?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Wait, so Toys for Bob, the creators of the incredibly succesful Skylanders series, one of the most succesful and most profitable IPs of the 7th gen, and the studio that has brought Crash Bandicoot back into relevance, is now relegated to a support studio for CoD? How is that a logic business decission? How much support does CoD need to function, anyway?

COD makes a ton more , warzone has + 100 monthly active players.

So Activision is going to be publishing only CoD games going forward? And here I was thinking franchise fatigue was going to be settling it at some point lol. I don't see any different Activision games in development. Doesn't seem very AAA publisher like to have so few games. Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, suddenly dead again. Probably because they weren't infinitely profitable. Only game in recent years that was different that Activision published was Sekiro.

It's so sad seeing this. Gaming is driven by creative freedom to make something new, innovative, and exciting.

Around the Network

Studios can't be idle, so if they don't have nothing better to do, then better support something that brings money meanwhile.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Activision: You will enjoy your Cod developed by Toys for BOB!

But my names Billy!

Activision: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darwinianevolution said:

They aren't the studio who did that, though. That was Vicarious Visions with their Crash Trilogy remaster. All Toys For Bob did was co-develop the port to systems outside of the Playstation 4. Crash 4, which was made by Toys for Bob, barely made any splash at all.

People acted like Activision was stupid for not bringing Crash back ... but then all people ended up doing was supporting the nostalgia product and not the actual continuation of the series. As expected. 

shikamaru317 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

They aren't the studio who did that, though. That was Vicarious Visions with their Crash Trilogy remaster. All Toys For Bob did was co-develop the port to systems outside of the Playstation 4. Crash 4, which was made by Toys for Bob, barely made any splash at all.

People acted like Activision was stupid for not bringing Crash back ... but then all people ended up doing was supporting the nostalgia product and not the actual continuation of the series. As expected. 

I thought Crash 4 sold pretty well all things considered. It was #1 first week in the UK, beating out EA's Star Wars Squadrons by just a hair. #1 in Switzerland, Australia, France, and New Zealand first week. Made 11th place on September NPD in the US with just 2 days of sales, then 10th place on October NPD. The late Xbox Series, PS5, Switch, and PC ports of the game boosted it back up to 15th place on March NPD. Superdata estimated digital sales for Crash 4 in the first month between Xbox One and PS4 at 402,000, compared to 520,000 first month digital sales for Crash N. Sane Trilogy and 552,000 for Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled, which isn't a huge drop, and we don't have the digital first month estimate for Crash 4 on Xbox Series, PS5, Switch, and PC yet. 

Considering Crash 4 doesn't seem to be super high budget, I can pretty much guarantee it turned a profit from the initial PS4/XB1 release alone, and was making pure profit by the time the Xbox Series, PS5, Switch, and PC ports released in March.

I don't think so.

Superdata is very inaccurate. IIRC they predicted Three Houses sold like 800k digital units in it's launch month despite only being out for 5 days and despite Zhugex posting something on Resetera that basically made this an impossible accomplishment, even with the voucher program (which to be fair, I can't find the post because I don't have the bookmark anymore and it was a very obscure post, but nevertheless...) 

Crash 4 also did 80% worse physically in the U.K. than Crash N.Sane Trilogy, which to be fair does have to do with the digital ratio difference between the two years, but even then the increase in digital sales was most likely only around a 35% increase (because iirc, digital sales on PS5 were at an average of about 45-55% in 2017/2018?) AT BEST. Meaning that at best that's a loss of 45% of sales. 

I also think that N. Sane Trilogy is just way better as a bargain bin purchase than 4 and will have had much better legs when all is said and done. You get 3 games in one and on top of that it's a nostalgia grab. 

So eh, while I think Crash 4 did "decent", I think "pretty well" is a bit of a stretch. It's really not surprising that they put the developer on something else. It just seems like all take and little backup from the fanbase. While there is certainly still a healthy community, a lot of the casual fandom is content with just living in the trilogy they grew up on. And that's fine. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 02 May 2021

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Darwinianevolution said:

Wait, so Toys for Bob, the creators of the incredibly succesful Skylanders series, one of the most succesful and most profitable IPs of the 7th gen, and the studio that has brought Crash Bandicoot back into relevance, is now relegated to a support studio for CoD? How is that a logic business decission? How much support does CoD need to function, anyway?

They aren't the studio who did that, though. That was Vicarious Visions with their Crash Trilogy remaster

They were remakes