By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Activision finally become worse than EA? Toys 4 Bob moved to CoD support, every Acti studio now on CoD

For a long time, EA was typically considered to be the worst video game publisher around. Between the lazy yearly sports games with few improvements and innovations, big focus on Microtransactions, graveyard of significant developers they killed over the years, forcing developers to work on things they didn't want to work on, forcing developers to crunch, and more. But over the last few years, EA has been working to improve, making microtransactions feel more optional, killing the gambling kind of microtransactions in most of their games, giving some of their studios more time to develop games, producing hit new IP's, focusing on singleplayer only games once again. 

Meanwhile, Activision seems to be getting progressively worse. For those who don't know, it was just announced that Toys For Bob, developer of Crash 4 and Spyro Reignited Trilogy, has been moved to Call of Duty support, amid reports ofa round of layoffs at the studio. This comes just months after Activision moved Vicarious Visions, developer of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 and Crash N. Sane Trilogy, to Blizzard to work on a Diablo 2 remaster. This basically means that both Crash and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater are now dead, shortly after they were both successfully revived (sales successes).

The Activision half of Activision blizzard is now entirely focused on CoD. Every single Activision owned studio is working on CoD. I don't think I've ever seen a publisher throw all of their eggs into a single basket like this before. The list of studios now working on CoD:

Main

• Infinity Ward
  • Treyarch
  • Sledgehammer

Support

• Raven Software
  • Toys For Bob
  • Beenox
  • High Moon Studios
  • Activision Shanghai
  • Demonware
Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 30 April 2021

Around the Network

Please change the title, that's a clickbait title, and it doesn't do justice to the topic

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

They both suck, but at least Activision still makes great games.

Wait, so Toys for Bob, the creators of the incredibly succesful Skylanders series, one of the most succesful and most profitable IPs of the 7th gen, and the studio that has brought Crash Bandicoot back into relevance, is now relegated to a support studio for CoD? How is that a logic business decission? How much support does CoD need to function, anyway?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Wait, so Toys for Bob, the creators of the incredibly succesful Skylanders series, one of the most succesful and most profitable IPs of the 7th gen, and the studio that has brought Crash Bandicoot back into relevance, is now relegated to a support studio for CoD? How is that a logic business decission? How much support does CoD need to function, anyway?

COD makes a ton more , warzone has + 100 monthly active players.

Around the Network

So Activision is going to be publishing only CoD games going forward? And here I was thinking franchise fatigue was going to be settling it at some point lol. I don't see any different Activision games in development. Doesn't seem very AAA publisher like to have so few games. Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, suddenly dead again. Probably because they weren't infinitely profitable. Only game in recent years that was different that Activision published was Sekiro.

It's so sad seeing this. Gaming is driven by creative freedom to make something new, innovative, and exciting.

Studios can't be idle, so if they don't have nothing better to do, then better support something that brings money meanwhile.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

To be fair to Vicarious Visions, the Diablo 2 remaster does look pretty fucking amazing, lol. And I get the feeling Toys for Bob will be working on other things alongside supporting Call of Duty... I mean surely they can't have ALL those teams purely for support of one game and NOTHING else, right?

Activision: You will enjoy your Cod developed by Toys for BOB!

But my names Billy!

Activision: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darwinianevolution said:

They aren't the studio who did that, though. That was Vicarious Visions with their Crash Trilogy remaster. All Toys For Bob did was co-develop the port to systems outside of the Playstation 4. Crash 4, which was made by Toys for Bob, barely made any splash at all.

People acted like Activision was stupid for not bringing Crash back ... but then all people ended up doing was supporting the nostalgia product and not the actual continuation of the series. As expected.