By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch outsell DS? PS2? Or neither?

Will Switch outsell PS2 and/or DS?

Yes, it will outsell PS2's (~159Million) 99 57.23%

Will outsell the DS, but not the PS2 74 42.77%

Switch will fall short of both DS & PS2 0 0%

Total:173
Wman1996 said:
peachbuggy said:

so, what's the problem if they do?

If you're referring to what I said, I have no problem. If we get a Switch with better specs and some great first-party games and some third-party games that aren't compatible on the original Switch, that can work. I'm ok if Nintendo eschews the clear divide like DS to 3DS. I just want a Switch with better specs and some great titles. And if that means it's more like Game Boy to Game Boy Color than DS to 3DS or PS4 to PS5, so be it.

Nope, i wasn't referring to your point of view.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

The Switch definitely has a good shot. From what the trends are pointing to, this year is likely to be flat from last year, but imo, I feel that 2022 will probably continue to hold flat from both 2021 and 2020. Nintendo has already committed to 2 major 1st party releases, namely Poke: Legends and Splatoon 3, thus indicating that they plan on continuing strong software support for the next year. In addition, the release of a new revision and Botw 2 sometime at the end of this fiscal year should lead to unmet demand being filled next year.

Therefore, the possibility for 3 consecutive high 20M years for the Switch should not be discounted, as that would imply both a release date for the Switch sucessor of no earlier than Holiday 2024 (Time for the new software and model revisions to sell their due course) and culminative sales in the ballpark of 130M by the end of FY 2022, which barring divine intervention, would certainly put the Switch on a clear path to take the crown.

There is an interesting nugget in the Bloomberg article: the predicted price for the Pro is $399, which would be quite high for just an OLED screen with small performance improvements. You can get a Samsung phone with higher res Super AMOLED screens for $170 bucks now. Nintendo/Nvidia better put some beefy tech in there for that asking price.

numberwang said:

There is an interesting nugget in the Bloomberg article: the predicted price for the Pro is $399, which would be quite high for just an OLED screen with small performance improvements. You can get a Samsung phone with higher res Super AMOLED screens for $170 bucks now. Nintendo/Nvidia better put some beefy tech in there for that asking price.

U can play Mario Odyssey, Zelda Botw and other exclusives on this phone?

On Legal side of this ?

DSLL is not small performance improvement.

theDX said:
numberwang said:

Maybe they're doubling the internal storage capacity to 64GB. Since the 32GB Switch costs $299 you're actually saving $199.

Honestly, with how much cheaper flash storage has become over the years, I'd be really disappointed if the Switch "Pro" or whatever it ends up as doesn't have 128 GB at the very least. Easily expandable storage is nice and all but 32 GB isn't even enough for some games on the Switch, like The Witcher 3.

Around the Network

Probably not but I'd like if it did. I greatly prefer the Switch to the Ps2, and I find its versatility and embracing of indies to be far more encouraging for long-term quality gaming.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Raven said:
theDX said:

Maybe they're doubling the internal storage capacity to 64GB. Since the 32GB Switch costs $299 you're actually saving $199.

Honestly, with how much cheaper flash storage has become over the years, I'd be really disappointed if the Switch "Pro" or whatever it ends up as doesn't have 128 GB at the very least. Easily expandable storage is nice and all but 32 GB isn't even enough for some games on the Switch, like The Witcher 3.

$399 would be twice the price of the Switch Lite and the same as the PS5 non-disc. Sony's newest console ships with an 825GB fast SSD. Nintvidia better bring the good stuff if they want to charge a premium price for a handheld with dock. Anything below 128GB or really 256Gb is laughable nowadays. Allegedly Nintendo plans to ship 30 million units in the fiscal year 2021/22 so we should expect a generational leap that should convince consumers to buy a premium device on hardware specs.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/nintendo_will_reportedly_ramp_up_switch_output_to_30_million_this_fiscal_year

numberwang said:
Raven said:

$399 would be twice the price of the Switch Lite and the same as the PS5 non-disc. Sony's newest console ships with an 825GB fast SSD. Nintvidia better bring the good stuff if they want to charge a premium price for a handheld with dock. Anything below 128GB or really 256Gb is laughable nowadays. Allegedly Nintendo plans to ship 30 million units in the fiscal year 2021/22 so we should expect a generational leap that should convince consumers to buy a premium device on hardware specs.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/05/nintendo_will_reportedly_ramp_up_switch_output_to_30_million_this_fiscal_year

Ps5 are a portable one and don't know?

numberwang said:
Raven said:

The fact that it's "30 million Switches" and not "20 million Switches and 10 million of Switch's successor" should make it pretty clear we shouldn't expect a generational leap. With Nintendo unable to meet demand for the base Switch at $300 USD even after 4 years with no price cut, they're probably figuring that they can get away with selling a midgen refresh with a better screen, a performance boost, more storage, and 4K upscaling when docked for $400.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 May 2021

numberwang said:
Raven said:

The Switch has proved that its price compared to its competitors does not matter at all. The Switch is so unique and one of a kind that people are willing to spend 300-400$ for a Switch/Switch Pro since it is an experience that they can't get anywhere else. While yes the Xbox Series S or PS5 might be technically a better value since they are like 15 times more powerful than the Switch for around the same price and the Xbox Series S and PS5 are both selling at a loss while the Switch is being sold at a relatively large profit. However, for one thing the Switch is also portable which is a huge advantage for the Switch and it's really the only hybrid system that could play quality Nintendo games and 3rd party ports for 300$. The price difference matters more for PS/Xbox since they are directly competing and are very similar consoles overall, for Nintendo it doesn't cause they essentially have a monopoly in their own market. So people won't be turned off by a 400$ switch pro because it offers a completely different experience from PS5. Proof alone is current Switch sales, many people would worry that a 300$ Switch at launch would struggle since at the time you could get a PS4 and Xbox One for like 250$ which had more powerful hardware than the Switch and more multiplatform support, but the Switch is such a unique experience people still brought it. Same is happening right now where Switch sales have only increased even when PS5 and Xbox SX released.