By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's your favorite main series Dragon Quest game?

What's your favorite main series Dragon Quest game?

Dragon Quest I 12 2.80%

Dragon Quest III 12 2.80%

Dragon Quest IV 11 2.56%

Dragon Quest V 24 5.59%

Dragon Quest VI 5 1.17%

Dragon Quest VII 30 6.99%

Dragon Quest VIII 109 25.41%

Dragon Quest IX 23 5.36%

Dragon Quest XI 183 42.66%

Other 20 4.66%

Total:429

XI was fantastic and mastered to capture the nostalgia without actually feeling antiquated.

Around the Network

XI is a superb game, one of my favourite RPGs to date.

I have played about every main entry. Easil XI-S. Honestly the best in the series.

XII will come to Switch. Likely PS5...dunno about Xbox even with the port of XI S. Depends how well that faired. Or we might see a DQIX situation and have DQXII a Switch console exclusive or maybe timed. It's always the most popular selling system in Japan. So when it came to the US be a timed Switch exclusive at the very least since NOA publishes DQ on Nintendo platforms in the US.

Last edited by Leynos - on 13 April 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Agreed, XI is a JRPG masterpiece. It does JRPG well.

My top 5 in this order
- XI
- VII
- IX
- VIII
- V

Around the Network

I loved XI, but my favorite is probably VIII.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I've only played XI so it's not a difficult choice. It was pretty great though and I do plan to play as few of the older games eventually.

Bonus: I think a more or less simultaneous multiplat release seems likely after all the effort they've put into releasing/re-releasing XI on every platform, but it isn't a certainty with Square.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

VIII then XI

Overall I always find DQ good as installments, but pretty weak as a franchise. You can choose to play one or two entries and be done with it 

XI easily. It's a masterpiece, one of the best JRPGs I have ever played.

DQ VIII, followed by VI and XI. In that order. All of them fantastic in my book.
V and IV would follow. Both great as well.