By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Jeff Grub: Kojima in talks with MS to publish his next game

pitch the game not the dev
this idea that AAA games are based only on the input of one person needs to piss off

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Azzanation said:

What makes you think he wasnt offered a better deal by a competitor?

His history.

As far as I know nobody tried to poach him while he was at Konami and in the end they seemed more than happy for him to go. He wasn't even looking to leave so if they had wanted to keep him they didn't even need to do anything, just maintain the status quo. They wanted him gone though.

He just seems much more like the type to go round cap in hand begging for the resources to create his games rather than somebody that's in demand. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's how the Sony deal happened either, he was going round looking for somebody to help finance his new game and they were the only ones willing to help out, rather than they specifically sought him out. So if this MS rumour is true I'd assume the same.

That's exactly how i think it has gone down too, if the rumors are true of course. His a free agent looking for work now. Companies would be offering him contracts.

Its a money world, not a friends world. 

MS is really doing a lot of great decisions early on in the gen. It might not be the case right now, but i feel like in the long run, like mid or end of the gen, they will be back on track. I do not see them keep the low market share they had during last gen, i think they can easily reach 70-80 millions consoles.

V-r0cK said:

I'm getting Blue Dragon vibes all over again.

That game was MS exclusive, it had Hironobu Sakaguchi and even had Akira Toriyama as the artist, yet didn't do as big as what MS had hoped.

But lets hope im wrong here.

So what you are saying is you're getting Death Stranding vibes all over again?

I mean, I know Death Stranding was a lot bigger than Blue Dragon. But, given the difference in expectations, you could switch out a couple of names and your comment could be relatively unchanged for Death Stranding itself.  

People talking about him being washed up ... are you all forgetting PT? Not even a full game, but just a demo that was so great that it inspired a series of PT clones and brought back the horror genre to the mainstream once again. Just the rumors a few months ago of a Silent Hills reboot by him generated so much interest. People are still salty about Silent Hills being canceled and mad at Konami for delisting PT.

This will definitively push xCloud+GamePass adoption in Japan, which is what MS is really after in that region. The traditional home consoles market in Japan is shrinking anyway. They scaled back investment during the Xbox One era, but with xCloud, they see a real opportunity, and we may see investments from MS in Japan similar to early 360 days.

Around the Network

This could be big on Gamepass. If it was a traditional release I don't think it would meet the financial expectations, most of Kojima's fanbase is on Playstation platforms. But combine the hype of being a game from Kojima + being available on Gamepass It could shatter GB's records.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
V-r0cK said:

I'm getting Blue Dragon vibes all over again.

That game was MS exclusive, it had Hironobu Sakaguchi and even had Akira Toriyama as the artist, yet didn't do as big as what MS had hoped.

But lets hope im wrong here.

I mean, I know Death Stranding was a lot bigger than Blue Dragon. But, given the difference in expectations, you could switch out a couple of names and your comment could be relatively unchanged for Death Stranding itself.  

No, like I said I'm getting Blue Dragon vibes, where MS is trying to get a footing of the Japanese market by getting big name Japanese developer to create an exclusive game.

There's nothing surprising about Sony getting exclusive games from big name Japanese developers.

V-r0cK said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

No, like I said I'm getting Blue Dragon vibes, where MS is trying to get a footing of the Japanese market by getting big name Japanese developer to create an exclusive game.

There's nothing surprising about Sony getting exclusive games from big name Japanese developers.

If they are trying to do that, good luck to them. Sony's approach in the last couple of years has been sidelining japanese titles more and more, it would be nice if Xbox started to gain a bit more traction over there as well, as a wake up call for Sony.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
V-r0cK said:

If they are trying to do that, good luck to them. Sony's approach in the last couple of years has been sidelining japanese titles more and more, it would be nice if Xbox started to gain a bit more traction over there as well, as a wake up call for Sony.

Personally I'd love for MS to collaborate with Capcom again for a new Dino Crisis or remake.  Unfortunately Dino Crisis 3 didn't do so well but would love for the franchise to come back.

Darwinianevolution said:
V-r0cK said:

There's no market for it, Sony aren't just leaving for no reason