By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pac-Man 99 announced for Switch

In Regular Pacman i could only get up to Stage 2, like Tetris 99 i ain't getting it as much as i like Pacman.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

My best finish is 9th, but I usually KO 2-5 people, so my bloodlust is satisfied.

It’s alright, but IMO it falls behind Tetris 99. The best one was the Mario 35 game. It’s a shame it’s gone.

I've cracked the Top 5 at 5th Place twice.  I actually like it a bit more than Tetris 99.  Probably because I've always had a greater affinity for Pac-Man.  I do miss Mario 35 as well.  I'm really hoping that Nintendo has plans to repurpose it and bring it back into the battle royale lineup.  If they want it to take a backseat for a while, I'm hoping that it is only because they have a plan to release a Zelda themed 35 anniversary battle royale (fingers crossed). 

I'm also looking forward to Super Bomberman R Online's eventual arrival while on the subject of free to play battle royale games.

Mandalore76 said:
Jumpin said:

My best finish is 9th, but I usually KO 2-5 people, so my bloodlust is satisfied.

It’s alright, but IMO it falls behind Tetris 99. The best one was the Mario 35 game. It’s a shame it’s gone.

I've cracked the Top 5 at 5th Place twice.  I actually like it a bit more than Tetris 99.  Probably because I've always had a greater affinity for Pac-Man.  I do miss Mario 35 as well.  I'm really hoping that Nintendo has plans to repurpose it and bring it back into the battle royale lineup.  If they want it to take a backseat for a while, I'm hoping that it is only because they have a plan to release a Zelda themed 35 anniversary battle royale (fingers crossed). 

I'm also looking forward to Super Bomberman R Online's eventual arrival while on the subject of free to play battle royale games.

I would love to see Zelda 35. I'm trying to think of how that would work given the non-linear approach of the gameplay. It'd probably need to change a bit more than the other games.

1. Timer which can be boosted by collecting rupees and clearing screens of enemies. Much greater amounts by collecting dungeon items, clearing rooms, killing bosses.

1 (alternative). Same as above, except some kind of randomizer that sends users to dungeons, and while users should be able to access the world map, time can only be meaningfully increased in dungeons - by the above methods.

2. Like Mario, enemies killed are sent to rivals.

I don't know, given that I thought of those two ways pretty much off the top of my head, I'm sure Nintendo will come up with something brilliant.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Mandalore76 said:

I would love to see Zelda 35. I'm trying to think of how that would work given the non-linear approach of the gameplay. It'd probably need to change a bit more than the other games.

1. Timer which can be boosted by collecting rupees and clearing screens of enemies. Much greater amounts by collecting dungeon items, clearing rooms, killing bosses.

1 (alternative). Same as above, except some kind of randomizer that sends users to dungeons, and while users should be able to access the world map, time can only be meaningfully increased in dungeons - by the above methods.

2. Like Mario, enemies killed are sent to rivals.

I don't know, given that I thought of those two ways pretty much off the top of my head, I'm sure Nintendo will come up with something brilliant.

One way they could do a Zelda 35 would be to use the dungeon maps only.  Start all players in Level 1 dungeon, and each dungeon you complete automatically warps you into the next dungeon.  Special Battles could randomize the dungeon Level order.  And, slight alterations could even be made to the maps, like bombing into a secret room that used to just have rupees or quest hints could now have a warp staircase into a higher level dungeon.

As you said, the timer and enemy mechanic could operate similarly to Mario 35.  Every enemy you kill increases your time and gets spammed into the dungeons of players you are targeting/targeted by.  Imagine spamming Manhandla's into other players dungeons?  Or the Timer could even be replaced by Link's hearts.  Maybe start every player with a set amount of hearts out of a max possible amount of heart containers.  The player has to kill enemies to replenish the empty heart containers.  The heart containers would automatically drain even when not being hit by enemies as time progresses, and the longer the game goes on, the faster the heart containers drain out. 

The collected rupees could then be added to a Treasure Chest icon that would replace the Roulette ? Block from Mario 35.  In this case, for every 20 rupees, players could by a chance at maybe equipping special defense items like Magic Shield, Blue Ring, Red Ring, and maybe throw in an offensive upgrade like the Magic Wand?  Just spit balling ideas.

looks pretty sweet tbh, gotta try it sometime