By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - LG Is Officially Shuttering Its Smartphone Business With a Complete, Wind Down Expected by July 31

LG was pretty big in the cell phone game at one point, just couldn't keep up with the big boys anymore.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Didn't even know they made phones to be honest. Only ever bought Microsoft, Toyota and Sharp phones myself.

Me niether, Until I got one , So far the other bleeding companies are motorolla and Sony, I'm sure they can afford too or tiny profit?

Sony's program is it is bleeding in numerous areas, not just one. It's gaming division has really helped hide those wounds. I'm not sure if Sony could calm investors down if not for the great PlayStation numbers.

dx11332sega said:
Dulfite said:

Sony's program is it is bleeding in numerous areas, not just one. It's gaming division has really helped hide those wounds. I'm not sure if Sony could calm investors down if not for the great PlayStation numbers.

If Sony never bleed they'd be as big as tencent . 

Tencent is newer and in a country where they can get away with copyright infringement. Give it time, they could have major issues in the future. China will have a population decline in the next few decades that will REALLY hurt their economy. Granted, Japan will have a proportionally worse population decline as well, but Sony doesn't really sell much in Japan anyway so they shouldn't be too impacted.

Well this is unfortunate. First HTC becomes irrelevant and now LG's cell phone division folds up shop. I just got my LG phone last year and its been excellent.

I remember the first iphone was kinda ripoff of the LG Prada which came out a year before.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Tencent is newer and in a country where they can get away with copyright infringement. Give it time, they could have major issues in the future. China will have a population decline in the next few decades that will REALLY hurt their economy. Granted, Japan will have a proportionally worse population decline as well, but Sony doesn't really sell much in Japan anyway so they shouldn't be too impacted.

Less population, greater PER CAPITA INCOME, greater economy. At present, China is second in terms of GDP and in about a decade, will probably take the number 1 spot from the US. But in terms of per capita income, it ranks way below at number 79. With less population, a Chinese will become richer.

Well that sucks, I've been buying their Stylo phones for the last ~7 years. Cheap, large screen did what I needed.

I don't think anybody else makes something comparable at a low price.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Leynos said:

I remember the first iphone was kinda ripoff of the LG Prada which came out a year before.

No, the iPhone wasn't a ripoff of the Prada.

The Prada-concept was first shown at the iF Design Award in September 2006, announced in December 2006 and sales started in May 2007:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070403110422/http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/the-iphone-lawsuits/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada

The iPhone was announced and presented at the Macworld Conference & Expo in January 2007 and sales started in June 2007:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_(1._Generation)

There wasn't enough time for a ripoff. The iPhone and its OS were in development for several years and the handling of the two touchscreen devices was quite different.

Ka-pi96 said:

Didn't even know they made phones to be honest. Only ever bought Microsoft, Toyota and Sharp phones myself.

I didn't know Toyota and Sharp made phones.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

wohufana said:
Dulfite said:

Less population, greater PER CAPITA INCOME, greater economy. At present, China is second in terms of GDP and in about a decade, will probably take the number 1 spot from the US. But in terms of per capita income, it ranks way below at number 79. With less population, a Chinese will become richer.

Less population = less production, and that is China's bread and butter, making things to sell to the rest of the world for cheaper amounts. Granted, automation should be fully deployed by then so they won't need nearly as many human workers, but those machines will cost money that would otherwise go to those workers, so either the government will have to help out a lot of out-of-job people and burn through much of their money or China will have a serious poverty issue. If they don't embrace automation, then worker's wages will probably increase, but production will decline due to population decline which means China will have less of a trade deficit advantage than they currently do.