By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - LG Is Officially Shuttering Its Smartphone Business With a Complete, Wind Down Expected by July 31

I just bought an LG phone 3 days ago.Also, Tired of bleeding money like windows Phone. Hope LG finds something else to invest that money Maybe Quality headphones? or something else like Microsoft found Xcloud?

After a series of continuous financial losses, LG has officially announced that it is closing down its smartphone business. The decision was approved by the Korean giant’s board of directors, with the company expected to focus on other areas.

LG Will Continue to Provide Support and Software Updates for Existing Customers

With the latest decision, LG states in an official press release that by officially quitting the smartphone business, it will be able to focus on other ventures, ranging from electric vehicle components, connected devices, smart homes, robotics, artificial intelligence, business-to-business solutions, along with platforms and services. There is still positive news for existing LG smartphone owners as the company will continue to provide software support for a limited period of time, but this will depend on which region you live in.

Link:https://wccftech.com/lg-officially-quits-smartphone-business/

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

Didn't even know they made phones to be honest. Only ever bought Microsoft, Toyota and Sharp phones myself.

LG was pretty big in the cell phone game at one point, just couldn't keep up with the big boys anymore.

Ka-pi96 said:

Didn't even know they made phones to be honest. Only ever bought Microsoft, Toyota and Sharp phones myself.

Me niether, Until I got one , So far the other bleeding companies are motorolla and Sony, I'm sure they can afford too or tiny profit?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

dx11332sega said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Me niether, Until I got one , So far the other bleeding companies are motorolla and Sony, I'm sure they can afford too or tiny profit?

Sony's program is it is bleeding in numerous areas, not just one. It's gaming division has really helped hide those wounds. I'm not sure if Sony could calm investors down if not for the great PlayStation numbers.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
dx11332sega said:

Sony's program is it is bleeding in numerous areas, not just one. It's gaming division has really helped hide those wounds. I'm not sure if Sony could calm investors down if not for the great PlayStation numbers.

If Sony never bleed they'd be as big as tencent . 

dx11332sega said:
Dulfite said:

If Sony never bleed they'd be as big as tencent . 

Tencent is newer and in a country where they can get away with copyright infringement. Give it time, they could have major issues in the future. China will have a population decline in the next few decades that will REALLY hurt their economy. Granted, Japan will have a proportionally worse population decline as well, but Sony doesn't really sell much in Japan anyway so they shouldn't be too impacted.

I hope Sony venture in Anime really pays off, Which I think will, And their growing Camera sales are doing great.

This might sound missguided ? but, I wish they'd closed down xperia instead of Ps3,Psp, PSvita , and downsizing Sony japan studio . IDK? where they stop the leaking but? I don't want another first party closure , if it does happen because noone did anything? Maybe I'm blind . Hope I am blind .

Well this is unfortunate. First HTC becomes irrelevant and now LG's cell phone division folds up shop. I just got my LG phone last year and its been excellent.