By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what happened to Balan Wonderworld?

Tagged games:

The game doesn't have a license behind it or anything, and the trailers didn't look mindblowing. There's nothing about the game that make people run out and buy it day one without any research. And, when people did the research, either by playing the demo or reading previews, they would find that the game sucked.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that 2000 people actually bought it.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Hiku said:

User scores doing their thing.

It's bots. For all platforms. They lnly reviewed Balan, have a weird name and write a mumble jumble that doesn't make sense with all gramatical mistakes that are possible and give it 10/10.

Right when it started the user scores were around 9.8 or so.

Yeah, I heard about that on a podcast a few days ago, so I went to read some of them, and they can be pretty funny.

JWeinCom said:

Honestly, I'm more surprised that 2000 people actually bought it.

One of the side effects of Covid can be diminished brain function.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I honestly don't think I've ever been more disappointed with a demo before. I can't express to you how excited I was for this game when it was announced. Then the demo happened and I realized this is not even close to what this game needs to be. The worst part is other studios will now not want to make 3d platformers thinking they will bomb, which makes me hate this game even more.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 06 April 2021

Dulfite said:

I honestly don't think iv will ever been mor disappointed with a demo before. I can't express to you how excited I was for this game when it was announced. Then the demo happened and I realized this is not even close to what this game needs to be. The worst part is other studios will now not want to make 3d platformers thinking they will bomb, which makes me hate this game even more.

Yep.

Not every platformer can be a Tropical Freeze, or Mario Galaxy.... but... jeez.... sometimes the genre isn't at fault, and the devs are.
This is just a horribly done job by SE/Arzest games.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 06 April 2021

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

SE does great games but since 2018 it seems that they make one big rubbish game every year:
2018 the quiet man
2019 left alive
2020 Marvels Avengers (Wouldn’t call it a complete turd but it was such a letdown)
2021 Balan.

SE is more like the publisher.... this one is on Arzest games.
Guys behinde such hits as "Hey! Pickmin" , "Mario & Sonic at Rio 2016 Olympic games",  "Yoshi's New Island (3ds)"

They make alot of 60-70's metacritc score games.

Balan is just....  a clusterfack.

Dulfite said:

I honestly don't think iv will ever been mor disappointed with a demo before. I can't express to you how excited I was for this game when it was announced. Then the demo happened and I realized this is not even close to what this game needs to be. The worst part is other studios will now not want to make 3d platformers thinking they will bomb, which makes me hate this game even more.

I think 3D platformers will be fine, the recent Sackboy game on PS5 got good reviews. I doubt this one stinker will deter other studios to make another 3D platformer. 

Dulfite said:

First big AAA 3rd  party Victim of 3d Platformers was Yooka Laylee, Excluding Sonic in 8th and current gen Though, What Developers should do is duplicate the formula of what Activition did for Crash Bandicoot? That seems like the only 3D platformer that exceed expectations? By doing remasters First?

I game on all consoles and PC

The developer has a terrible developmental history and as someone in Resetera said, Yuji Naka is still stuck on the Dreamcast.

OTBWY said:
Dulfite said:

I think 3D platformers will be fine, the recent Sackboy game on PS5 got good reviews. I doubt this one stinker will deter other studios to make another 3D platformer. 

I believe I read somewhere, months ago, that the publisher was giving this guy one last chance to make this kind of game, and then he made this garbage, so that's at least one major publisher that will probably not back this sort of project going forward.

Why someone can't just make a AAA Banjo Tooie-like game, or a AAA game that plays like 3D mario (but has it's own unique flare) is beyond me. They see Nintendo sell millions, tens of millions, of copies at $60 a piece for 80% of its life and they either ignore the genre altogether or they put the lowest quality garbage out there like Balan.