By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Give me an arcade racer!

Tagged games:

 

What arcade racer would you like Sony to bring back and how would you make it work?

Riiiiiiiiidge Raaaacerrrrrrr! 4 36.36%
 
Motorstorm shall bring th... 3 27.27%
 
VGC needs it's own DriveClub 1 9.09%
 
Gran Turismo Horizons 0 0%
 
Something new 2 18.18%
 
Arcade racers are dead. 1 9.09%
 
Total:11

Hotshot Racing is an excellent arcade racer in the vein of 90s genre classics that you can get on PS4 (And therefore I assume PS5?)



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Those retro racers are nice for nostalgia, however games like Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Burnout, NFS, Motorstorm, Drive Club, etc were all about pushing tech ahead. They were made to make the consoles look good, eye candy while smashing through beautiful scenery. Retro racers are not for me, I can just put Burnout 3 Takedown in the ps2 and play that or Wipeout on PSVR.



RR deserved its death. R4 was the last good one.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SvennoJ said:

Those retro racers are nice for nostalgia, however games like Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Burnout, NFS, Motorstorm, Drive Club, etc were all about pushing tech ahead. They were made to make the consoles look good, eye candy while smashing through beautiful scenery. Retro racers are not for me, I can just put Burnout 3 Takedown in the ps2 and play that or Wipeout on PSVR.

I noticed that there is a new lawn mower sim, made me think of a burnout lawn mower arcade racer. imagine the possibilities😁



mjk45 said:
SvennoJ said:

Those retro racers are nice for nostalgia, however games like Ridge Racer, Wipeout, Burnout, NFS, Motorstorm, Drive Club, etc were all about pushing tech ahead. They were made to make the consoles look good, eye candy while smashing through beautiful scenery. Retro racers are not for me, I can just put Burnout 3 Takedown in the ps2 and play that or Wipeout on PSVR.

I noticed that there is a new lawn mower sim, made me think of a burnout lawn mower arcade racer. imagine the possibilities😁

It's actually a thing (lawn mower racing) I learn new things every day!



Around the Network

Redout's another fun ride



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

SvennoJ said:
mjk45 said:

I noticed that there is a new lawn mower sim, made me think of a burnout lawn mower arcade racer. imagine the possibilitiesðŸ˜Â

It's actually a thing (lawn mower racing) I learn new things every day!

Yeah I ran across it about 10 years ago , but since then I have had to combat the urge to turn up to a race with an old push blade mower strapped to my back like some swordsman from the past.



There's been a hole in the market ever since NFS went off the rails. Usually, there's only a choice between a full-on simulation or over-the-top craziness. Besides Forza Horizon there's really nothing good that has come out for a long time that ticks those particular boxes. The Horizon games have that perfect blend, especially with the settings menu and options to have more realistic steering, braking, etc., or less realistic and with more aid.



Quality arcade racers from major 3rd parties are gone, ridge racer, outrun, daytona , Sega Rally , burnout (paradise doesn't count it's from PS3) , motorstorm  they all disappeared in 8th gen, while need for speed gets review bombed what happen to that series? miss midnight club too. The arcade genre from major 3rd parties need a comeback. arcade racers are only made by indie developers and it scares me like indie developers doing shmups too. bTW cave, 5pb, treasure are not indie shmup developers .



Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

dx11332sega said:

Quality arcade racers from major 3rd parties are gone, ridge racer, outrun, daytona , Sega Rally , burnout (paradise doesn't count it's from PS3) , motorstorm  they all disappeared in 8th gen, while need for speed gets review bombed what happen to that series? miss midnight club too. The arcade genre from major 3rd parties need a comeback. arcade racers are only made by indie developers and it scares me like indie developers doing shmups too. bTW cave, 5pb, treasure are not indie shmup developers .

Yes, issue is they need to figure out how and so far they haven't figured out how. Gran Turismo has the right idea I think. One game for the duration of the gen with regular updates. 

EA flooded the market with a ton of shite and then went on to kill Burnout

Sega Rally, Daytona and Ridge Racer died along with arcades.

Motorstorm had just bad luck and then they messed up the launch of DriveClub.

Racers don't have a story and the ones that do are just so boring / cliche. Stick to the pure racing. Bring on the tracks, bring on customisation, clubs, liveries, crash mode from Burnout, add content including AI simulation to drive whilst you are away and build it like MK where you have shit tons of unlockables for every little thing you do.