By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Personal Best game in Genres

So I wanted to make a thread about your favorite games you played in set genres. 

List a game in a genre below with its metascores next to it and write why this game was your favorite etc.

I am curious to read some of your favorite games and why you like them.

GENRE - GAME - METACRITIC - PLATFORM

PLATFORMER: Mario Galaxy (97) Wii

Mario Galaxy was the game of games in the 7th gen. Not only was it one of the best games to play, it was also so well optimized on the Wii, it looked like a PS3/360 game. Nintendo flexed their muscles with this game and its ideas of moving around platforms and gravity were just so damn fun and well implemented. I consider this game the best platformer i have ever played and its Metacritic showed it, sitting in with the elite of elites on a 97.

FPS: Half Life (96) PC

The first Half Life game blew me away. Seeing this game on a Gaming TV show which no longer exists where i saw a player interacting with other NPCs and surviving in a world that felt so livable. No one can forget the epic yet boring Train ride at the start. Half Life's mix of shooting, exploring and interacting was one of a kind where most FPS's played like Quake, this game blew the doors of the genre, making it more than just a straight line shooter with big guns. Half Life 2 was an even better game however i am giving this to Half Life 1 as it was the game that started it all in the late 90s. Honorable mention to Perfect Dark as it was also ground breaking and so much fun to play. 

RACER: Forza Horizon 4 (92) XB1

I am not a huge racing fan, yet this genre was so easy to pick. Forza Horizon is the perfect racer for serious and not so serious racing fans. You don't have to be hardcore to like this game. Unlike GT and FM, Horizon 4 just takes you in, makes you drive amazing cars and does it with such a cool attitude of, go have fun. All the Horizon games are amazing however its undauntedly known that Forza horizon 4 is the king of the bunch. I absolutely loved it and i can also play it again without any hesitation. It got me loving car games, that says enough.

RTS: Homeworld (93) PC

Homeworld is considered one of my favorite games of all time. It told me a story i just love, it displayed it so well and made me play it in a full 3D experience. No game has captured me so well in the story sense and a gameplay sense. I love a game that makes you think as well as listen. Homeworld is just that good that even today, no game comes close to its design. Relic Entertainment created something truly special and Homeworld has a cult following. The announcement of Homeworld 3 has me very excited.

VR: Half Life ALYX (93) PC

Half Life ALYX is a no brainer in the VR scene. The game truly captures what makes the Half Life series so great. Its funny, scary, plays great, has great combat and the atmosphere just is insane. It honestly feels like you are walking about the world. If you have VR on PC, this is must play even if you aren't a fan of Half Life. Also that ending is worth it alone.

FIGHTER: Killer Instinct (86) XB1

Killer Instinct launch with the XB1 and has evolved so well over the cause of the generation that many professionals now look up at the game as a fighting master piece. It took what rare made and done it justice, exactly how KI fans wanted it. They just did it right. The game didnt have the best launch due to the lack of content however the game was also free and when the Seasons started to hit, the game just become one of the best fighting games i have ever played. The game was so well received by its player base, that their has been petitions for a sequel. Honorable mention to Killer Instinct Gold, i played the hell out of it on the N64, its what made me fall in love with KI in the first place.  

JRPG: Chrono Trigger (N/A) SNES

This was a toss up between CT and FF7, but i had to give it to CT. Something about the story of Chrono Trigger that just feels right and executed so well. I am no fan of JRPGs however this game and FF7 won me. The music and presentation alone in Chrono Trigger is absolutely amazing. They don't make games like this anymore. Each character all had great back stories and even the NPCs had amazing dialogues and back stories that you felt like you wanted to talk to everyone. This game is timeless, pun intended.

RPG: Zelda Breath of the Wild (97) NS

Openworld games are nothing special these days, they all play very similar however BOTW did something new and its hard to explain what it is that Nintendo did but its their and the game just feels amazing. The world is so livable and alive. Some games the worlds seem a little overwhelming however with BOTW, i never felt like i didn't want to explore every nock and cranny of the map. I would play this game for hours, getting hooked into the world that i would constantly forget about the time. BOTW sits on a 97 metacritic for a valid reason. This is one of the best games i have played on consoles, period.

MMO: World Of Warcraft (93) PC

I still play this game today. Started back in early 2005, WoW was one of a kind. I never showed any interests with online games yet WoW got me into the whole online gaming scene. Its world design and gameplay is still top tier, even after so many years. MMOs still cannot create a open world like World of Warcraft. I have made many friends and created many memories over the 15+ years of playing. My main character reads approx. 600 days of game time. Its by far my favorite MMO and nothing iv played Pre and Post WoW lives up to WoW's expectations and world.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 11 March 2021

Around the Network

Metroidvania: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Hollow Knight. 
Platformer: Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Shovel Knight 
FPS: Resistance 2 and Bioshock
TPS: Uncharted 2 
Racing: Mario Kart 8
Sports: Mario Kart 8, yeah im counting it as sports too. 
Fighting: Guilty Gear X2, MKII
Real Time Strategy: Age of empires II
Simulator: Sim City 3000
Horror: Bloodborne, Dead Space, The Last of Us
Adventure: TLOZ Ocarina of Time, TLOZ a link to the past, Uncharted 2 and Monster Hunter World
Action: Bloodborne, God of War (PS4) and Horizon ZD
ARPG: Nier Automata
JRPG: Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2 and Final Fantasy 6
MMORPG: World of Warcraft
Puzzle: Portal
Rhythm: Rock Band 2

Aditionally, Hades and Dead Cells are my fav. "roguelikes" and Bloodborne is my fav. "soulslike".

Sorry, couldnt pick just 1 for the majority of these, so I guess I fail at the simplest of tasks. 
Pure puzzle games, sports and FPS are the genres I enjoy the least.
RPGs and Metroidvanias are God tier games. 
Also, Hollow Knight > All other Indies in general in life. 

There are so many genres! Let's see...

Action-adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (97) Switch

Adventure
Day of the Tentacle (93) PC

Fighter
SoulCalibur (98) Dreamcast

FPS
Halo: Combat Evolved (97) Xbox

MMO
World of Warcraft (93) PC

Platformer
Super Mario 64 (94) N64

Racing
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (92) Switch

Rhythm
Elite Beat Agents (87) DS

RPG
Deus Ex (90) PC

Simulation
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (90) Switch

Strategy
StarCraft (88) PC

TPS
Gears of War 3 (91) Xbox 360

Visual Novel
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (84) PS Vita

I probably missed a few!

Just to jump in, let's just accept whatever genre definitions people use so this doesn't become a debate over terms.

Anyway...

Fighting- Smash Ultimate- Not technically the best, but the best balance between accessibility and depth. And fan service out the wazoo.
RPG- Skies of Arcadia- Just such a likeable cast and a positive.
Rhythm- Guitar Hero 2- Because I'll never be able to play the solo from Hangar 18 in real life.
Fitness- Ring Fit
Platformer- Super Mario Galaxy 2. The pinnacle of what can be done with a simple set of mechanics.
Visual Novel- Phoenix Wright- I like yelling objection.
Action/Hack n Slash- Bayonetta 2
Adventure- Skyward Sword

Metroidvania: Super Metroid
Platformer: Super Mario World,
FPS: BioShock
TPS: Uncharted 2
Racing: Mario Kart 8
Sports: NBA Hangtime.
Fighting: Mortal Kombat trilogy
Real Time Strategy: None
Simulator: None
Horror: Until Dawn.
Adventure: Ocarina of Time,
Action: Uncharted 2
ARPG: Tales of Symphonia
JRPG: Chrono Trigger
MMORPG: none
Puzzle: Tetris Attack
Rhythm: none
VR: Resident Evil 7

Around the Network

2D platformer - Yoshi's Island
3D platformer Super Mario Galaxy
Adventure - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Action adventure - Tomb Raider II
Horror - Resident Evil (original)
First person shooter - Powerslave
Racing - Super Mario Kart
Fighter - Super Street Fighter II
Visual novel - Hotel Dusk
RPG - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Why ask people to list their favourite games in certain genres and then list an arbitrary Metascores which are based on other peoples opinions? Seems counter-intuitive to me, anyway a quick list off the top of my head:

Action-Adventure: God of War 2018
Action: God of War III
FPS: BioShock
TPS: Gears of War 2
Platformer: LittleBigPlanet 2
Racing: Gran Turismo 4
Arcade Racer: PGR4
Fighting: Tekken Tag 2
Thriller: Alan Wake
ARPG: Mass Effect 2
RPG: Skyrim
Run & Gun: Cuphead

Shmup: Centipede (Arcade)
Maze: Mr. Do (Arcade)
Metroidvania: Metroid (NES) 
Platformer: Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) 
FPS: Bioshock (PS3)
TPS: Uncharted 4 (PS4)
Racing: Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Sports: Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) 
Fighting: Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch)
Real Time Strategy: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
Turn Based Strategy: Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (PC)
Turn Based Tactical: Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
Real Time Tactical: Freedom Force (PC)
Simulator: The Sims (PC)
Horror: Dark Souls (PS3)
Adventure: The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
Beatem Up: D&D Tower of Doom (Arcade, PS3)
ARPG: The Legend of Zelda (NES)
JRPG: Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)
WRPG: Ultima 4 (NES, PC)
MMORPG: Final Fantasy 11 (PC)
Puzzle: Katamari Damacy (PS2)
Rhythm: Rock Band (PS3)
Run N' Gun: Gauntlet 2 (Arcade)

Action-Adventure: BotW (NS)
RPG (all catergories): Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
SRPG: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (NS)
Western RPG: The Witcher 3 (Multi)
Platformer: Super Mario 64 (N64)
Fighting: Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (PS3)
Racing: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (NS)
Sports and Rhythm: Punch-Out!! (Wii)
Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Horror: Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Metroidvania: Super Metroid (SNES)
Shmup: 1943: The Battle of Midway (ARC)
FPS: Doom II (PC)
Action Hack-n-Slash: Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Simulation: Cities Skylines (PC)

2D platformer: Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 2, Yoshi's Island
3d Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
JRPG: Chrono Trigger
Western RPG: Witcher 3, Mass Effect 3
SRPG: Fire Emblem 3 Houses
Metroidvania: Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night
FPS: Call of Duty 4, Bioshock
Third person shooter: Gears of War 2
Horror: Resident Evil 4
Action Adventure: Skyward Sword
Fighting: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate