By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Kingdom Hearts Franchise is coming over to PC!

Ka-pi96 said:
Nautilus said:

I would please ask for a source on that part about the exclusives bringing in little profit(and thus finding little success), because all the things I have seen so far is that, while they aren't massive successes, they are doing really well for the most part.

From the data I just googled, and that I know of:

- EGS just raked in 700 Million in sales revenue in 2020. I will quote below other interesting tidbits:

"On a daily basis, Epic Games Store sees around 31 million active daily players, which is an increase of 192% from its day-to-day activity back in 2019. The store's catalogue has more than doubled, rising from 190 games at the end of 2019, to 471 games by the end of 2020. Among the most popular titles purchased last year were Rocket League, Borderlands 3, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 and, of course, global phenomenon Fortnite."

Source: https://www.destructoid.com/stories/epic-games-store-raked-in-700-million-in-sales-revenue-in-2020-618158.phtml

Literally the source you posted... (well the original link, rather than the one that removed some stuff).

"third party games represented 37% at $265M"

That equates to an average of $1.65 spent per customer per year on third party games. That's pathetically low. That epic games store fact sheet just shows that fortnite is doing incredibly well, but all the other games that they're paying to keep off other stores aren't doing so well (unless they're literally given away for free).

It's low, but not insignificant.

Steam didn't become the juggernaut it is overnight. It took many years to become what it is today(and zero competition). Epic Store became serious about becoming a contender for an actual storefront since 2019, and since then, it has been growing year over year.

If I'm not mistaken, 90% of the third party sales in 2019 were from the timed exclusives that EGS had. It should be safe to assume that most of the thrid party sales are also from the exclusives, so it's obvious that Epic would continue with this strategy, and it"s not like the devs making those deals are complaining about the sales(and the extra money from the exclusivity deal).

But more than that, EPG still has few games. According to the numbers, it has a little more than 400 games on it, while Steam has a stupid ammount of them, tens of thousands of them. That coupled with the far bigger popularity of Steam due to it being a far older store, it's obvious that the sales would dwarf in comparison. But give them a couple of years, and the figures will be quite different.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

sweet another shit deal by SE, yay!

As is tradition. Looks like it makes a lot of sense to release on EGS. You get the better cut and a bonus from Epic on top. PC gamers get their games and Steam loses a bit of market share. It's a win win win win for everyone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Nautilus said:

I would please ask for a source on that part about the exclusives bringing in little profit(and thus finding little success), because all the things I have seen so far is that, while they aren't massive successes, they are doing really well for the most part.

All in all, EGS strategy so far has been a resounding success, and it makes no sense to keep going with it, seeing that there is a long road ahead yet, if they want to compete with Steam.So in that note, there is no reason to think that KH, one of the most successful and recognizable RPG franchise of all time, to not find success there too. There are no good reason that point otherwise, other than the unreasonable hate for a determined storefront.

Now, it might not hit the road running, but it dosen't need to. Especially assuming that it will be comming to Steam later.It's a win-win scenario for everyone, and I"m happy that PC gamers will have the chance to finally experience this incredible series.

I don't think you wanted to ask with a source, if the second bolded is what you're really looking to say.

Again, all I see here is SE being greedy with the cost cutting (the fact the other KH was made using unreal, meaning less tax from Epic+the 12% tax+The exclusivity bribe), and you know they threw hissy fits when Tomb Raider didn't reach sales profit expectations, so this absolutely fits in line with why they went with Epic, and not everywhere else (because everyone else charges 30%, doesn't have a tax reduction for using unreal, and Valve/GoG don't do bribes for exclusivity, and MS is indifferent so far on PC).

Who said it's coming to Steam later?. There's been no info even saying it will, let alone FFR. At this point I can easily see FFR being yet another EGS, with no Steam release date.

People are still waiting for Ubi's exclusivity deals to finish, yet they still haven't. Same goes for games like WWZ, still EGS exclusive, and still not on Steam/GoG.

I'd be happy if every PC gamer got the chance, willingly, instead of having a forced hand. The actual option to buy from any store of your choosing is far better than having to play on a crappy store, run by a selfish, decrepit, childish old man. It's a win-win, when customers actually get catered to, not a select few who put up with garbage clients and garbage practices. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 11 February 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

vivster said:

As is tradition. Looks like it makes a lot of sense to release on EGS. You get the better cut and a bonus from Epic on top. PC gamers get their games and Steam loses a bit of market share. It's a win win win win for everyone.

Sometimes I think you want the market destroyed for some weird, twisted reason. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

This is great news. Always wanted to play this series of games.

£190 for the Kingdom Hearts collection. I guess we can blame Gabe Newel for making Square-Enix price these at £50 each on the Epic Store.

Please no.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Waiting for end of timed exclusive, then, if they make a VGCats mod, I'm in!

https://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=192

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Leynos said:

Now PC owners can experience the pain of bad character designs and the most nonsensical writing this side of David Cage.

At least they don't have to wait years for a disappointing sequel with another convoluted story.