Played the game on my Xbox Series X today, my thoughts:
- Yuji Naka did what Sega has thus far been too stupid to do, he essentially brought back the Chao Garden, that's a big positive in my book
- The music is good, props to Ryo Yamazaki
- I like the art style, Naoto Ohshima still has his mojo
- Lots of cool ideas for the costumes
- Framerate seemed solid, fast load times
- The movement mechanics could be better. I don't like how much time it takes to reach max speed, I think the max speed is too slow, and I don't like how jumping slows your momentum.
- The graphics. The opening cutscene looked great, but the in-game graphics are kind of meh.
- Alot of the design feels quite dated by modern standards, it seems to follow the old philosophy of making players lives as difficult as possible, rather than taking advantage of more modern quality of life advances in game design. In many modern platformers, falling to your death respawns you nearby, but you get sent all the way back to the start of the level here. Taking damage causes you to lose a costume, which really sucks because you have to run all the way back to that costumes pick-up location. If you accidentally destroy a block that you need to reach a location with hidden treasures, there is no way to get said block to respawn without restarting the whole level. These sorts of pebble in your shoe type problems can really add up over time and negatively impact your overall enjoyment of a game.
- Clunky menus due to there being no back button
- The camera control feels quite dated, maybe it's better if you turn auto camera off, didn't try that.
If the game releases in it's current state, I don't look for it to review all that well honestly, maybe a meta between 55-65 on the best performing platforms, lower on Switch. If I was Yuji Naka and Square Enix, I would delay the game to later this year and use the extra time to try and improve the movement physics, costume loss issues, cliff death respawning, menus, and the framerate issues on Switch. It will review better if they do, maybe not a ton better, but better.Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 03 February 2021