By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CGI's Party Of Graphics & Tech 2021

Definitely a nice improvement. Will probably revisit this game in the next couple months. Wrap up some chievos, and maybe give the DLC a go.

Around the Network

I guess they look better on a HDR screen, I prefer the 2019 shots :/ The 2021 screens look a bit washed out with low color saturation. Plus the character model looks kinda ill and scary in 2021

CGI-Quality said:

Nah. This is what they are supposed to look like with proper implementation. Sure, one could prefer the 2019 look, but it's less accurate on a pure mathematical basis (and not helped by the fact that I used filters in 2019 to make it look a little stronger). Looking closely at the shots I chose, there are light sources in 2019 with no 'bounce' light. That's very unrealistic. With proper raytraced lighting, everything stands out like it should.

Darkness and more contrast often times are good masks and make people think that said look is more real, when in reality, it is the opposite (a few tech sites talk about this — people's preference for poor lighting conditions in games because they are so used to that look)!

2019 (without proper GI — everything unrealistically dark):

2021 Proper GI:

Of course, I'm running a Nano IPS Panel with a wide color gamut (has HDR but I turned it off). So, with all due respect, maybe our screens just aren't on the same level, because from where I'm sitting, that dark, over-contrasty look is pretty eh. My only complaint is with the eyes. Bright scleras look fake (I get that they are also reacting to the new lighting system, but I actually don't like it)! Other than that, it's a pretty considerable RT upgrade!

Probably is what you said, too used to abnormal contrast and over saturation that realistic lightning looks off now. I have 144hz ips panel, HDR capable according to windows 10 but no clue how to use it. (It activates on some pictures on google maps which turn pretty much all very bright white, not working right) It doubt it will be anywhere near the HDR my tv produces when it works.

That shot above looks great. But I stand by my opinion that she looks ill in 2021 :) Uncanny valley is calling.

CGI-Quality said:

Probably is what you said, too used to abnormal contrast and over saturation that realistic lightning looks off now. I have 144hz ips panel, HDR capable according to windows 10 but no clue how to use it. (It activates on some pictures on google maps which turn pretty much all very bright white, not working right) It doubt it will be anywhere near the HDR my tv produces when it works.

That shot above looks great. But I stand by my opinion that she looks ill in 2021 :) Uncanny valley is calling.

Go to Start → System → Display → Use HDR

From there, you can also adjust the Brightness level. Are you working with 400 nits? 600? 1000? The higher, the better! If you don't mind me asking, because you said your monitor was IPS, what's the model/panel?

It's not a monitor, just a laptop screen. Predator Helios 300.

I checked the settings, (Windows HD color) it just lists stream HDR video under capabilities and there is a difference between using HDR and not using HDR with the sample video. (Much better / brighter highlights) Yet under capabilities Use HDR No, Use WCG apps no (no clue what that is)

So not sure what's going on with (some) google maps images. I only saw it in Europe (touring the world in FS2020 while checking pictures in google maps) but perhaps it was a bug in windows that got patched out. I can't find it anymore and haven't seen it in months.

This screen is night and day difference with my old laptop though, and can match my tv in color clarity. But no pure black. And I guess no (fake) HDR for pictures. I see there is (or should be) a version with 3080rtx out, might be time to start shopping around for a new one :)

Edit: What also helps, it's dark now, makes the new pics look better while the high contrast one now look fake black (due to no pure black). It's the same with HDR games, really no point playing them during the day. The ambient light interferes too much.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 06 May 2021

Oh that pops all right, absolutely amazing shots! It's overcast today, perfect viewing weather :) That blue looks really nice. Now that looks next gen (and its just an upgrade)

Around the Network

That water is gorgeous.

Uncanny! It's a horror game after all, so it fits.

SvennoJ said:

Uncanny! It's a horror game after all, so it fits.

I agree. There's always something a bit off about the normal characters in Resident Evil....or at least in 7 and 8. The enemies/antagonists actually come across looking much better, because they're a bit more stylized, so your brain kinda gets they're not real anyway, but the regular people are a bit too doll like in their appearance. 

Been playing Village with Max settings. RE engines character model continues to be insane!

I might go back to playing metro with my 3080 eventually.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

CGI-Quality said:

The bigger takeaway from RE's latest 'normal' characters is the geometry. Things are nice and rounded off. Textures all have taken nice steps forward. However, yes, things will move closer to the unsettling feeling that my boy Masahiro Mori predicted would happen the closer we got to "real but not real".

Yeah that old lad with the shotgun is giving me massive CGI Grand Moff Tarkin vibes but saying that... his face is amazing looking, when I think back to playing games on the PS2 and thinking "this is it... it'll never get better than this" Think at the time a single one of those pics you posted would take a PS2 about 10 minutes to render....

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive