By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will this M-ATX build overheat?

shikamaru317 said:

I don't claim to be an expert on liquid cooling, as I've only ever built PC's with standard fans and heatsinks, but it looks to me like he has the liquid cooler mounted to a front vent, so unless the front of that case opens, that does seem like it could cause cooling issues. As far as I know most liquid coolers are mounted to top vents.

Also, I'm not sure what the conversion rate between Australian $ and US $ is, but if that is anywhere near $1000 US dollars it seems overpriced for the specs, especially considering it is used.

This case has side vents and if there is enought space it should be ok. Of course a front mesh would be better

Around the Network

Looks fine. The hardware is midrange, so there isn't any chance of overheating in the first place unless you do something wrong on purpose.

Not sure about the build for your use case. Do you need the GPU for audio encoding?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It won't overheat and shut down.

But that is an awful case for airflow.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Airflow is important unless it's a office box with low power cpu and no grafix card.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I would avoid anything water-cooled unless you build it yourself, or have it installed by a professional. Also, although this may have been high-end a few years ago, now it's just 16Gb RAM/512Gb SSD/1080 GTX which is pretty much an office PC.

I generally translate the words "Water cooled" and "Gaming PC" into "will have problems" and "overpriced, ugly box with LEDs" in my head.

Around the Network
OneTime said:

I would avoid anything water-cooled unless you build it yourself, or have it installed by a professional. Also, although this may have been high-end a few years ago, now it's just 16Gb RAM/512Gb SSD/1080 GTX which is pretty much an office PC.

I generally translate the words "Water cooled" and "Gaming PC" into "will have problems" and "overpriced, ugly box with LEDs" in my head.

16GB of Ram, 512GB SSD and a Geforce GTX 1080 is far from an "office PC". - It's still very capable at gaming, especially at 1440P.
Pascal still has life left in it yet.

I don't get the silly cooler placement, it's dumping hot air inside the case, but really a non-issue with that hardware.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Where the radiator is isn't the only issue with that, he would have a better set up by flipping it around, as hot water is going to be coming to the top of that radiator and he expects that hot water will go down through it? and that cold water will rise up from the bottom of the radiator to the top? It's almost like that's exactly not how the laws of thermodynamics work, but I guess heat rises is a fairly advanced knowledge. It will still work like that, but it would be prone to making some noise as it's pushing water down which wants to rise and visa versa. But... it's a 1060, it's really not going to generate too much heat, coupled with a Ryzen 5 as well. Should be fine.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Pemalite said:
OneTime said:

16GB of Ram, 512GB SSD and a Geforce GTX 1080 is far from an "office PC". - It's still very capable at gaming, especially at 1440P.

I don't get the silly cooler placement, it's dumping hot air inside the case, but really a non-issue with that hardware.

When Nvidia get the next round of graphics cards into full production, eBay will be flooded with second-hand GTX 1080s.  The price will be very low soon... (and yeah, 16Gb/512 is mid-range office PC - certainly lower than what we get here).

OneTime said:

Also, although this may have been high-end a few years ago, now it's just 16Gb RAM/512Gb SSD/1080 GTX which is pretty much an office PC.

I have 4th gen i5 and 1660ti and I play modern games at 1440p with high framerates. My office PC on the other hand has a cheap AMD APU.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

OneTime said:
Pemalite said:

When Nvidia get the next round of graphics cards into full production, eBay will be flooded with second-hand GTX 1080s.  The price will be very low soon... (and yeah, 16Gb/512 is mid-range office PC - certainly lower than what we get here).

An office PC would not be having a Geforce 1080 class GPU in it, ever.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--