By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Nintendo keep the Switch going until the launch of the 10th gen consoles?

Dante9 said:
Wyrdness said:

It will because Switch itself is a 9th gen platform so the successor is the release of a 10th gen.

Nope. You don't get a generation all to yourself just because you launch mid-gen.

Genesis/Mega drive says hi.

Around the Network

Unless you want a pandemic every year after 2024.......

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Wyrdness said:
Dante9 said:

Nope. You don't get a generation all to yourself just because you launch mid-gen.

??

The Genesis/MegaDrive (and even the PC Engine/TG16, which released in Japan the year before) are both clearly Gen 4 consoles alongside the SNES.

The only consoles that arguably could get a generation all to themselves would maybe be some of the consoles released very late into the 2nd and 4th gensm which sort of were a gen 2.5 or 4.5 (Colecovision, Sega SG1000, Atari Jaguar, etc). But those are all massive outliers.

The Switch ironically is a candidate for getting a generation to itself (or more accurately, being some sort of Gen 8.5). Though I will say that generally Nintendo handhelds, since the days of the GBA, have been 2 generations behind in terms of power compared to home consoles so that's a strong argument for the Switch being Gen 9 proper. (Gen 6 GBA was as powerful as Gen 4 SNES; Gen 7 DS was as powerful as the Gen 5 PSX; Gen 8 3DS was as powerful as the Gen 6 Gamecube, and now Gen 9 Switch is as powerful as the Gen 7 PS3).

By these rules, we should expect Gen 10 to get started some time in 2023 or 2024 with a Switch 2 that will be somewhere about as powerful as a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

tack50 said:
Wyrdness said:

??

The Genesis/MegaDrive (and even the PC Engine/TG16, which released in Japan the year before) are both clearly Gen 4 consoles alongside the SNES.

The only consoles that arguably could get a generation all to themselves would maybe be some of the consoles released very late into the 2nd and 4th gensm which sort of were a gen 2.5 or 4.5 (Colecovision, Sega SG1000, Atari Jaguar, etc). But those are all massive outliers.

The Switch ironically is a candidate for getting a generation to itself (or more accurately, being some sort of Gen 8.5). Though I will say that generally Nintendo handhelds, since the days of the GBA, have been 2 generations behind in terms of power compared to home consoles so that's a strong argument for the Switch being Gen 9 proper. (Gen 6 GBA was as powerful as Gen 4 SNES; Gen 7 DS was as powerful as the Gen 5 PSX; Gen 8 3DS was as powerful as the Gen 6 Gamecube, and now Gen 9 Switch is as powerful as the Gen 7 PS3).

By these rules, we should expect Gen 10 to get started some time in 2023 or 2024 with a Switch 2 that will be somewhere about as powerful as a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

What are you on about? I don't think you read what you're replying to properly Genesis being Gen 4 is the point as he's trying to say Switch isn't gen 9 because it released a few years before the rest yet that is exactly what Genesis did but was still Gen 4 same thing with DC it released 2 years before the others but is still Gen 6. So in other words yes a platform can get a gen to itself if it releases early, Switch had gen 9 to itself until the PS5/XSS which is the point. Gens are also not defined by power of hardware.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 23 January 2021

curl-6 said:

They should wait until mobile tech reaches the point where a Switch 2 can be to PS5/XS what Switch 1 was to PS4/Xbone power wise, (that is, close enough to get ports) and be sold for $300 at a profit.

That's pretty much what I said as well.

I think a device with 3x the GPU power should be enough. Something they could potentially achieve now but will get cheaper over time. They could do a less powerful GPU but I'd like to see less 360p on Switch.

8GB of RAM would be plenty, the Series S has 10GB but a more demanding OS. Then throw in a more capable CPU and we could have a device capable of running 9th gen games.

Ideally it would be at par with a base PS4. A device that is already handling cross gen games fairly well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

No; Nintendo doesn't have enough impact titles left to maintain interest for that long. That being said, if they can make 2-3 new IPs that can have the same kind of impact Splatoon did, then I'll be singing a different tune.

Darwinianevolution said:

With the new PS5/XBox X having just launch and the Switch still doing very well regardless, I was wondering. Lack of power seems to affect the system very little in regards to sales, as well as availability of most major 3rd party multiplats, the console is selling regardless of those. Considering how the Switch has fully occupied the handheld market and it's probably going to go toe to toe with the 9th gen consoles, will the Switch do well enough for long enough for Nintendo to consider  keeping it alive until the launch of 10th gen hardware? What would need to happen for it to last that long?

I think so. What helps the Switch is it's very scalable with technology. Like the iPhone, Nintendo can just keep iterating on it without releasing a totally new console. So it wont get left behind too much, but even still, we aren't getting the same leaps in technology we used to get. The last two generations have been a bit longer than normal so it wouldn't be a surprise to see a longer one from Nintendo too (though that may be more due to development times). Switch is at a happy medium for performance so it doesn't need a next generation upgrade anytime soon.

Plus, as you mentioned, Nintendo has been able to create value on the Switch with their titles. Nintendo has already used most of their big hitters (save a 2D Mario and a new Mario Kart). Still, the system can still be pushed by sequels, new IPs and the B/C Nintendo series (such as Star Fox or Rhythm Heaven). All the while, games like Smash, Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing keep bringing in new players. Also, we might start seeing more third party games on the system thanks in part to the system's success in Japan. Really, this factor could be the reason Nintendo prolongs the system's life. 

One thing to add is that Nintendo may not want to release anything too soon due to the fractured economy. The 2020 lockdowns have ravaged the economy with high unemployment and inflation (thanks to central bank money printing). Pocket books are going to start being pushed, so a Switch would be a good proposition. Nintendo could even cut $50 bucks off the standard and Lite and still be totally OK. Really, if the economy gets worse (which I expect it will), then Nintendo is in a better position than Sony and Microsoft are. So this, more than anything, may push the Switch towards a 10 year lifespan. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

They should wait until mobile tech reaches the point where a Switch 2 can be to PS5/XS what Switch 1 was to PS4/Xbone power wise, (that is, close enough to get ports) and be sold for $300 at a profit.

That's pretty much what I said as well.

I think a device with 3x the GPU power should be enough. Something they could potentially achieve now but will get cheaper over time. They could do a less powerful GPU but I'd like to see less 360p on Switch.

8GB of RAM would be plenty, the Series S has 10GB but a more demanding OS. Then throw in a more capable CPU and we could have a device capable of running 9th gen games.

Ideally it would be at par with a base PS4. A device that is already handling cross gen games fairly well.

If it launches in 2024 as I think it probably should, it'll be coming 11 years after PS4/Xbone, and so should be more capable, as Switch 1 came 11-12 years after PS3/360 and is more capable.

I find difficult that Ninty delay Switch 2 launch to 2027, but to 2025 is a possibility, BTW that year they could make a special yellow and white launch version and pretend the Pope made the Jubilee for it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!