By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When a company's release schedule says "Q4" when does that mean?

QUite often it means not 2-3 years from now.

Around the Network

It depends on the publisher. For some, it's the holiday season, for others, it's January through March.

I have never understood why fiscal years don't align with calendar years. I mean, why start it on April 1 or July 1? What's the point?

Shadow1980 said:

I have never understood why fiscal years don't align with calendar years. I mean, why start it on April 1 or July 1? What's the point?

I just know that some country educational calendar year is also odd because they align with season, so while our school year and sports calendar is from january to december on the same year USA go for mid of one year to mid of the other.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shadow1980 said:

It has a lot to do with the seasonal nature of that particular business and when the majority of there income come in.  The end of your fiscal year affects when you are required to pay taxes.

For example

It also affects when they report information to stock holders etc.

Around the Network

Calender year not fiscal year

curl-6 said:

For context, I'm wondering about the recent Capcom leak which apparently has a new Resident Evil game for Switch scheduled for Q4 2021, wasn't sure if that meant end of this year or early next year.

I too am concerned for when the best developer releases yet another masterpiece for the Nintendo Switch family of systems. 

Shot in the dark, but, I'm pretty sure Capcom's fiscal year is the standard January-March as "Quarter 4", right? And also, there's been a consistent trend since Resident Evil 7 of the RE games releasing around that time period (REVII: January 24th, 2017, REmake 2: January 25th, 2019, REmake 3: April 3rd, 2020). So that seems quite likely. Would also space out their titles so MHR goes into one fiscal year and RE Switch is in another fiscal year, making one year less lopsided. 

Q1: Jan, Feb, March
Q2: Apr, May, Jun
Q3: Jul, Aug, Sep
Q4: Oct, Nov, Dec

And as for the seasons, those are pretty self expanalotry. Holiday tends to mean November and December, though it can occasionally mean the last week of October as well (Super Mario Odyssey).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If it is about games it usually means vaporware

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SKMBlake said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yes they do. Each country defines their 12month period for what they deem to be a financial year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

No, companies can decide when their fiscal year starts and ends. Your wikipedia page mostly refers to the government fiscal year, which isn't related to the topic.

And setting up companies and deciding their fiscal year is basically my job.

SKMBlake  is right , in Australia the financial year is july 1st to June 30th , but a company can make a request to the stock exchange to change their financial   year , this is usually done by shortening the current  financial year so the new reporting date aligns with the month you chose, an example would be if you chose  November 1st to October 31 that would mean a 4 month financial year report followed by annual reporting using the new dates.

There are a number of reasons why this can be beneficial, one is you aren't reporting with everyone else so you have more market visibility, another is better access to auditing firms.

Last edited by mjk45 - 1 day ago