By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Article Comment Functionality Update

Good stuff. Can we do paragraphs in replies yet? Also does the markup enable spoiler tags?

Around the Network

This is my favorite upgrade of all time.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Thank you @TalonMan for all your hard work, I just played around with it and it worked perfectly!

I'm not an expert with markdown, so I might be doing something wrong. I got it to work by just using the * symbol on both sides of a word,

when i did **test the output was **test

when I did **test** the output was test

TalonMan said:

Correct - that is how markdown is used (text is wrapped in some symbols). If you put a "*" on either side, you get italics - if you do two "*" on either side, you get bold. There is a TON of other formatting functionality available - if you're interested, I provided a link in my OP.

The bottom line is that this is basically a standardized syntax format for enabling "rich text" formatting, in non-richtext entry boxes...

Thanks @TalonMan I was a bit confused by the word either, as I assumed it meant it could be on one side or the other, but in this case it seems like it needs to be on both sides for it to work. 

Hi @TalonMan I just noticed a notification of someone replying to my comment inside an article, it seems like the notification was empty, I just wanted to let you know, not sure if this is happening to anyone else:

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
dmillos said:

Hi @TalonMan I just noticed a notification of someone replying to my comment inside an article, it seems like the notification was empty, I just wanted to let you know, not sure if this is happening to anyone else:

...let me know if it's fixed now

Perfect!

This is a very nice improvement (or a bunch of them, really)! Thank you! Is it full Markdown support or just a subset of it? Can I e.g. use code markup and tables? I'd test it but there's no obvious place to try code and tables and all that fun stuff without going way off-topic, so there's that.

Good job as always!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

TalonMan said:
Zkuq said:

This is a very nice improvement (or a bunch of them, really)! Thank you! Is it full Markdown support or just a subset of it? Can I e.g. use code markup and tables? I'd test it but there's no obvious place to try code and tables and all that fun stuff without going way off-topic, so there's that.

Great question!!! So, here's the thing (isn't there always something, when it comes to VGChartz???) - the library I'm using is 100% markdown compliant, HOWEVER (here comes the catch!!) the markdown standard does NOT allow for empty line breaks (they are simply ignored on output). There are dozens of compliant online editors out there for you to test this on, but it's definitely true (I tested it myself). So, I had to make a choice: Do I allow "full 100% markdown compliance and lose empty linebreaks" or do I "preserve the empty line breaks, and fall out of markdown compliance"? And the choice I made was to preserve the linebreaks as I felt the community would get pissed off at me, if they were removed!!

Because of the ability to "edit" now (something that wasn't available before), you should certainly feel free enough to test out whatever kind of markdown syntax you want - if it doesn't look right, then just edit it out. You will find a good portion of the markdown stuff works - it's just the SUPER COMPLICATED stuff, that it will have problems with (solely because of the linebreak issue)...

Aww, that sucks, but what am I going to need code or tables in comments anyway? That is, seems like a reasonable tradeoff. That's also a good tip for testing the thing, although off the top of my head, I can't remember any stuff that's interesting enough to warrant experimenting with - using, sure, but not so much experimenting. Besides, now that I know the limits, there's no need to experiment anyway. Good stuff anyway!

I know this thread is kind of old now, but I have to say that this update in functionality was awesome. Great job!

I'm mostly a lurker now.