By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom 2016 or Eternal?

I think the best is...

Doom 2016 13 54.17%

Doom Eternal 11 45.83%

Total:24

Which do you think is the better game, and why?

Around the Network

Eternal. Doom Eternal is DK with Guns. The supershotgun style, predominant in Doom 2016, is partially negated on Doom Eternal.

You have less max bullets in each weapon.

Two weapons share the same type of bullets.

The game makes you alternate weapons, move fast, and strategized all battles.

The platform section is training for a battle. 

Doom 2016 is a great minimalist game.

Doom Eternal is a bigger, better, and most insane version. 

Doom 2016 was solid all round while Eternal had highs and lows. They equal about the same in my book.

For me, i love maximalist games with variation weapons, faster reacting, combo gun shooting and brutal maps designed.

It's Doom Eternal.

QUAKECore89 said:

For me, i love maximalist games with variation weapons, faster reacting, combo gun shooting and brutal maps designed.

It's Doom Eternal.

Yeah. Doom 2016 is minimalist. 

Around the Network

I love Doom 2016. Felt like a proper reboot. I feel Eternal tries too much and is mixed. Too much reliance on platforming and climbing. Levels are WAY TOO LONG. The game is WAY TOO LONG. It did not need the hub world. Eternal tries to be first-person DMC and that sounds cool but not sure it really works. 2016 took a simple approach and it worked so well. It created an atmosphere of dread but you still felt like a badass. Eternal I feel like the game forces you to play less how you want and more how it wants you to. Granted it does make you use more of your weapons but so many enemies are annoying and not fun to fight. Some enemies can no longer chainsaw like HellKnights. Why? Eternal is truly a gorgeous game from a technical and artistic point of view. I do like the recharging pip on the chainsaw. I like the shoulder-mounted weapon.  2016 felt like a challenge but I still felt like a badass. Eternal I feel like I am fighting underneath the whole time and I have no room to breathe in between battles. I don't feel like a badass I feel like a regular dude. I don't like the 3D Super Mario puzzle platforming in Doom. 2016 is a game where the environments felt natural. Eternal is the most video-gamey world. Doesn't fit from the previous game IMO. It has too much story for a Doom game and putting Doomguy too much as space Jesus. It's really stupid.

2016 knew less is more. A lot of what ID promised Doom would not become...it became in Eternal. I don't hate Eternal as there is some to like but I feel like it's bloated and tried to do too much.

Last edited by Leynos - on 22 December 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Doom 2016 to me for sure. Idk if I can give extensive details on my reasoning. 2016 just had me gripped the entire time, and I rarely, if ever, felt bored. Eternal felt very samey to me, and I felt like I was playing it just to get to the end. Ultimately, I lost interest and never finished it :/

I have yet to play Eternal, they are still selling it on Steam with Denuvo attached. I'm not installing spyware on my PC.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Eternal. Way more fun.

Leynos said:

I love Doom 2016. Felt like a proper reboot. I feel Eternal tries too much and is mixed. Too much reliance on platforming and climbing. Levels are WAY TOO LONG. The game is WAY TOO LONG. It did not need the hub world. Eternal tries to be first-person DMC and that sounds cool but not sure it really works. 2016 took a simple approach and it worked so well. It created an atmosphere of dread but you still felt like a badass. Eternal I feel like the game forces you to play less how you want and more how it wants you to. Granted it does make you use more of your weapons but so many enemies are annoying and not fun to fight. Some enemies can no longer chainsaw like HellKnights. Why? Eternal is truly a gorgeous game from a technical and artistic point of view. I do like the recharging pip on the chainsaw. I like the shoulder-mounted weapon.  2016 felt like a challenge but I still felt like a badass. Eternal I feel like I am fighting underneath the whole time and I have no room to breathe in between battles. I don't feel like a badass I feel like a regular dude. I don't like the 3D Super Mario puzzle platforming in Doom. 2016 is a game where the environments felt natural. Eternal is the most video-gamey world. Doesn't fit from the previous game IMO. It has too much story for a Doom game and putting Doomguy too much as space Jesus. It's really stupid.

2016 knew less is more. A lot of what ID promised Doom would not become...it became in Eternal. I don't hate Eternal as there is some to like but I feel like it's bloated and tried to do too much.

The platform and climbing are partial training for good playing in doom eternal. The games do not force you anything. The game inhibits supershotgun dominance strategy and low intensity plays. Doom eternal, in higher difficulties, is so fun and intensity plays. U don't need to play in one way, but you need the combine some weapons, the weapons you chose.