By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I love classic Sega

Hi everyone. For the last few weeks I have started to become a little bit nostalgic of the old days when me and my brothers were playing the Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis) at my uncle's. And I started to develop a deep passion for Sega's games from yesteryear. I learn to appreciate their great efforts and the amazing contributions to the video game landscape that we know and love today.

My uncle wasn't a big gamer, but he still had an Atari (can't remember which one since we barely used it) and a Mega Drive, and along with it some great games like Sonic 1 and 2, Castlevania Bloodlines, Ranger X, World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, Columns, Super Hang-On, and World Cup Italia `90. I loved them all, especially both Sonic games! How cool was it when we managed to gather all Chaos Emeralds and turned into Super Sonic! That game had some truly mind-blowing moments! Oh, and these games were hard, like nearly all games from the era used to be, but we still played them no matter how many times we died, and we got better and better until we completed (most of) them. Super Hang-On was still impossible to beat, however, that shit is crazy difficult. Well, it was that time when Sega left a mark within me.

I still love a lot of the music tracks from the games, like these for example:

I love listenting to those soundtracks! However, there have also been a ton of amazing games on the Mega Drive that I had missed. We were Nintendo fans from early on and my attention went towards the N64 next. I completely missed the entire Sega Saturn and only discovered it years later. Games like Panzer Dragoon, for example, went past me unnoticed.

Sadly the sales were bad and never recovered. But Sega kept on pumping out one great game after another, and I thought that was quite amazing! Of course not every single one can be a hit but the general consensus is that Sega games were mostly first class, very well polished and of high quality. And another thing that I find very impressive even to this day is the wide spectrum of genres that they covered, they had it all. Racing, Platformers, Beat 'em Ups, Fighting, Puzzles, Sports, Strategy, RPGs, you name it. Sega did almost everything, and even more. They also used to poduce a lot of obscure games like Ecco the Dolphin or ToeJam and Earl, how would you describe those?

There are two things that Sega mastered back then in my eyes. First I think a lot of Sega's games had an arcady feeling to them, at least that's how it always felt to me, and I love that a lot! Many of their games are pure fun, just pick them up and start playing right away, but then again this also meant that they were a bit wonky and archaic, like Golden Axe, Space Harrier or Altered Beast. And the second thing is the mindblowing creativity and (in a good way) craziness. Who would ever come up with the idea of a Beat 'em Up inside a comic book? That sounds weird, right? Sega did it with Comix Zone, and it is widely regarded as one of the finest games in its kind. The point is, they had the balls to be crazy, and to make games that no other developer might do. And I salute them for the bravery.

They managed to keep this creativity alive with the Dreamcast as well. I never had one myself but after all these years I wish I had one because there were so many cool and amazing games for the Dreamcast and it's a shame that Sega just couldn't recover financially. Then came the big crash when Sega announced that they restructered to become a third party publisher and leave the hardware business. During these tough times I remember that they kept on making loss over loss over loss, and a lot of staff had to go. These were their darkest hours, I think.

Little anecdote here. I remember visting a buddy who got himself the original Xbox lately. I asked which games he had and among them was Jet Set Radio Future, but he said he didn't like it, it's so weird. I had heard of it from magazines, but first he wanted to show me Morrowind, which we played for like half an hour and which confused me and bored me to hell and back (I guess that was the moment when I developed a strong distaste of western RPGs), and then I played JSRF and I fell in love with it the moment it started. This is exactly the Sega creativity I mentioned earlier. What an amazing game!

A while ago I played the crossover game called Project X Zone 2. For those of you who don't know, it's a strategy game where a whole bunch of characters from all sorts of universes from Sega, Capcom and Bandai Namco are the playable cast. It's not too bad, I would recommend it to anyone who likes japanese games, and of course it is full of references to the respective games. One entire mission is even dedicated to a Sega Saturn game called Burning Rangers. The theme song plays during the entire mission and it's such a jam! So I looked up some info about it and now I want to play that! Also my interest for some other Sega games got sparked like Shinobi for instance, or Virtua Fighter. It is truly amazing how versatile Sega had been as a developer back in the golden days of gaming.

This year I bought Panzer Dragoon Remake and Streets of Rage 4 for my Switch. Both are very cool games, I played the latter every now and then during the last days. And Panzer Dragoon is a game that you won't master on the first try, this is a game that you'll learn to appreciate the more you play it because you'll start to improve with every run and the enjoyment will grow each time. Of course Sonic Mania is excellent. I also have Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap since 2017, I liked that one, too. What's cool is that you can change the graphics and sounds to make it look and feel like a Master System game. I thought that was very awesome!

So what I am trying to say is that Sega might have never been my first choice, but I have alwas had a deep respect for them and their games, and in the recent years Sega started to grow on me. All this leads me to the Sega Mega Drive Mini which released last year. I consider buying one because it would fix my needs, it has an excellent game selection and the price is very fair. Does anyone have one? How do you like it?

Are there any other Sega enthusiasts here? Let's share some love!

Last edited by GoOnKid - on 13 August 2021

Around the Network

GOD YES I always feel like I am the only one who talks about Ranger X! I'm also a massive classic SEGA nerd. I want to read your full post just have to go take care of something but I will do a full proper response later. Tagging for now.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'd trade one of the console makers to have SEGA back. I won't say who as it would lead to flaming. I still love SEGA to death and still play my old SEGA games and consoles. I love games that remind me of old SEGA games. ARMS reminded me of Virtual On. Same with Gundam Vs. Thankfully we got a new Virtual On this past gen. I loved Xenoblade in general but X reminded me of Phantasy Star. If I even get a whiff of a SEGA vibe I will play it. I am loving SEGA bringing back some old IPs lately. When they dropped out of consoles no one replaced the hole left there. No one came close to their greatness. SEGA arcade games were the best. SEGA of Japan was mismanaged as hell. They tried to work with Sony for the Saturn but hey SOJ thought they could do it on their own. SEGA had the most creative game makers in the history of gaming in the 90s. No one was as unique as them.

They made a game about being a Taxi driver and putting out fires awesome. Name a soundtrack as unique as Jet Set Radio. Rent A Hero No 1 is an amazing game original or remake and stands on its own. SEGA put so many new original ideas into a game. Maybe they didn't always stick like their hologram arcade game but they tried. While Nintendo is still very Nintendo. Last few years they have been more SEGA like even if just a small bit with taking more risks on some new and interesting IPs. I am so in love with the Switch as it has so many games that remind me of the Saturn library and the SNES library. It feels like it captures both in a modern system. Much like how Xbox 360 in the early years felt like maybe a successor to DC in some small ways.

People need to know SEGA made gaming cool and SEGA of the 90s greatness should never be forgotten. Their rivalry with Nintendo while short was as glorious as WCW Nitro vs WWF Raw. It was short but more memorable than PS vs Xbox last 20 years y a country mile.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I've played a decent amount of Sega games throughout the years, though I've never had that much nostalgia for them, most of their classics were before my time (I really should finish Shinobi one of this days, never could beat the arcade version as a child). Also, for the life of me I don't get Nights into Dreams, what's going on in that game?.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

MegaDrive was my childhood console. And it was great. I still think that SNES was a bit better than MegaDrive because of a couple of SqEnix RPGs not available on MegaDrive. But still, MegaDrive library also has a ton of great games. Definitely that gen was the best console gen ever. That's really sad that Sega started going downhill after MegaDrive success.

Around the Network

Classic Sega only thinks of you as a friend tho.

Leynos said:

GOD YES I always feel like I am the only one who talks about Ranger X! I'm also a massive classic SEGA nerd. I want to read your full post just have to go take care of something but I will do a full proper response later. Tagging for now.

Ranger X is such an awesome game! So much style and kick ass action, I love it! It's so cool that there is the companion vehicle to help you on the missions, wether it's the bike or the plane. I love the specal weapons. How cool is it to have a robotic eagle as a weapon? And then all the sci-fi elements in the stages, it all fts together so well. Great game!

shikamaru317 said:

I was a Genesis kid in the 90's for sure, way preferred Genesis to SNES back then, and still do really (though SNES does have a few exclusives I like such as FF6 and Chrono Trigger). Sega was truly at the top of their game in the early 90's. It was truly sad to see them make one mistake after another in the mid 90's, mostly as a result of the jealousy of Sega of Japan over how successful Sega of America had made the Genesis.

Right, it was indeed sad to watch their downfall. Imagine where we could have been nowadays if Sega was still making consoles.

Mar1217 said:

If I were completely honest, my youth days when I first got into gaming was devoided of any mention to any content related to SEGA except their arcade games they were well known for in the Arcades. Mainly, most of my entourage and friends were playing on their SNES,N64, GameBoys and Playstation at the time. It wasn't before the days I played on our Xbox 360 that I got a bit more interested in Gaming history and realised the Genesis, Master System and subsequent consoles were a thing.

Still, as a shoot'em up arcade enthusiast. I've got to play a good portion of their librairy and had a ton of fun with them. Now if only we got some arcade collections for those type of games ...

They had extraordinarily good shoot'em ups, that's for sure! I recently discovered M.U.S.H.A. as well as Thunder Blade III and IV. Absolutely brilliant games, highly recommended!

Leynos said:

Rent A Hero No 1 is an amazing game original or remake and stands on its own.

How would you best describe this game? I never heard of it before.

Darwinianevolution said:

I've played a decent amount of Sega games throughout the years, though I've never had that much nostalgia for them, most of their classics were before my time (I really should finish Shinobi one of this days, never could beat the arcade version as a child). Also, for the life of me I don't get Nights into Dreams, what's going on in that game?.

Honestly, I don't get it either. Also, every gameplay footage I see looks clumsy, as if it was very difficult to control properly.

derpysquirtle64 said:

MegaDrive was my childhood console. And it was great. I still think that SNES was a bit better than MegaDrive because of a couple of SqEnix RPGs not available on MegaDrive. But still, MegaDrive library also has a ton of great games. Definitely that gen was the best console gen ever. That's really sad that Sega started going downhill after MegaDrive success.

What would be your top 3 Mega Drive games?

GoOnKid said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

What would be your top 3 Mega Drive games?

Tough question. But if I had to choose it would probably be these three:

- Road Rash 3

- Revenge of Shinobi

- Contra: Hard Corps

Jpcc86 said:

Classic Sega only thinks of you as a friend tho.

And who could blame them when I was always messing around with the Nintendo chicks.