By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I love classic Sega

Leynos said:

Rent A Hero No 1 is an amazing game original or remake and stands on its own.

How would you best describe this game? I never heard of it before.

Darwinianevolution said:

I've played a decent amount of Sega games throughout the years, though I've never had that much nostalgia for them, most of their classics were before my time (I really should finish Shinobi one of this days, never could beat the arcade version as a child). Also, for the life of me I don't get Nights into Dreams, what's going on in that game?.

Honestly, I don't get it either. Also, every gameplay footage I see looks clumsy, as if it was very difficult to control properly.

derpysquirtle64 said:

MegaDrive was my childhood console. And it was great. I still think that SNES was a bit better than MegaDrive because of a couple of SqEnix RPGs not available on MegaDrive. But still, MegaDrive library also has a ton of great games. Definitely that gen was the best console gen ever. That's really sad that Sega started going downhill after MegaDrive success.

What would be your top 3 Mega Drive games?

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

MegaDrive was my childhood console. And it was great. I still think that SNES was a bit better than MegaDrive because of a couple of SqEnix RPGs not available on MegaDrive. But still, MegaDrive library also has a ton of great games. Definitely that gen was the best console gen ever. That's really sad that Sega started going downhill after MegaDrive success.

Tough question. But if I had to choose it would probably be these three:

- Road Rash 3

- Revenge of Shinobi

- Contra: Hard Corps

Jpcc86 said:

Classic Sega only thinks of you as a friend tho.

And who could blame them when I was always messing around with the Nintendo chicks.

derpysquirtle64 said:
GoOnKid said:

- Road Rash 3

- Revenge of Shinobi

There is difficult, and then there is Contra: Hard Corps! That game is already sadism in my eyes. Nobody can beat this. Nobody!

Revenge of Shinobi is pretty good, I guess. I like the gameplay in the Shinobi games a lot.

GoOnKid said:
Leynos said:

GOD YES I always feel like I am the only one who talks about Ranger X! I'm also a massive classic SEGA nerd. I want to read your full post just have to go take care of something but I will do a full proper response later. Tagging for now.

Ranger X is such an awesome game! So much style and kick ass action, I love it! It's so cool that there is the companion vehicle to help you on the missions, wether it's the bike or the plane. I love the specal weapons. How cool is it to have a robotic eagle as a weapon? And then all the sci-fi elements in the stages, it all fts together so well. Great game!

shikamaru317 said:

I was a Genesis kid in the 90's for sure, way preferred Genesis to SNES back then, and still do really (though SNES does have a few exclusives I like such as FF6 and Chrono Trigger). Sega was truly at the top of their game in the early 90's. It was truly sad to see them make one mistake after another in the mid 90's, mostly as a result of the jealousy of Sega of Japan over how successful Sega of America had made the Genesis.

Right, it was indeed sad to watch their downfall. Imagine where we could have been nowadays if Sega was still making consoles.

Mar1217 said:

If I were completely honest, my youth days when I first got into gaming was devoided of any mention to any content related to SEGA except their arcade games they were well known for in the Arcades. Mainly, most of my entourage and friends were playing on their SNES,N64, GameBoys and Playstation at the time. It wasn't before the days I played on our Xbox 360 that I got a bit more interested in Gaming history and realised the Genesis, Master System and subsequent consoles were a thing.

Still, as a shoot'em up arcade enthusiast. I've got to play a good portion of their librairy and had a ton of fun with them. Now if only we got some arcade collections for those type of games ...

They had extraordinarily good shoot'em ups, that's for sure! I recently discovered M.U.S.H.A. as well as Thunder Blade III and IV. Absolutely brilliant games, highly recommended!

Thunder Blade is one of my fav series of theirs ! Kinda reminded me to when I was playing an old flash game which was inspired by that title.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

- Road Rash 3

- Revenge of Shinobi

There is difficult, and then there is Contra: Hard Corps! That game is already sadism in my eyes. Nobody can beat this. Nobody!

Revenge of Shinobi is pretty good, I guess. I like the gameplay in the Shinobi games a lot.

Just play JP version. It's way easier as you have 3 lives instead of 1. Konami just decided to punish gaijins for some reason.

My favorite Genesis/Mega Drive games:

• Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Sonic & Knuckles (Sonic 3 & Knuckles if my favorite out of the gen 4 Sonic games)
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Shinobi 2 and 3
  • Streets of Rage 1-3
  • Aladdin
  • Lion King
  • Home Alone 2

My favorite Sega CD games:

• Sonic CD
  • Jurassic Park
  • Ecco The Dolphin: The Tides of Time

My favorite 32X games:

• Knuckles Chaotix
  • Star Trek Academy Bridge Simulator
  • Star Wars Arcade

GoOnKid said:
Leynos said:

Rent A Hero No 1 is an amazing game original or remake and stands on its own.

How would you best describe this game? I never heard of it before.

Darwinianevolution said:

I've played a decent amount of Sega games throughout the years, though I've never had that much nostalgia for them, most of their classics were before my time (I really should finish Shinobi one of this days, never could beat the arcade version as a child). Also, for the life of me I don't get Nights into Dreams, what's going on in that game?.

Honestly, I don't get it either. Also, every gameplay footage I see looks clumsy, as if it was very difficult to control properly.

derpysquirtle64 said:

Well Rent a Hero you start off beat up your dad in a Godzilla costume. If you play either the Genesis original or Dreamcast remake. You order a Pizza but get some power suit by mistake. You become a Hero by hired to pay for it. Go about the city saving people but your costume runs on batteries. It was also ported to Xbox in Japan. DC version in a small way is a pre-cursor to Yakuza in a small focused open town area and has a silly side to the side quests. In the DC version, you train with Segata Sanshiro.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

derpysquirtle64 said:
GoOnKid said:

Just play JP version. It's way easier as you have 3 lives instead of 1. Konami just decided to punish gaijins for some reason.

Even 3 lives won't help me!

GoOnKid said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Even 3 lives won't help me!

Yeah, it's still really hard even with 3 lives. But, I personally found Revenge of Shinobi harder than Hard Corps. Or it's just false memories. But it seemed this way when I played Revenge of Shinobi recently.