By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next Gen D-pads and fighting games

Which D-pad do you like?

PS5 14 56.00%

XsX 11 44.00%

I use analog sticks.... 0 0%

Total:25

DualShock 4 or DualSense, way better than other controllers.

Or if you have the money, an arcade stick

Around the Network

I don't like either Xbox or PS D-Pads. However i am more a fan of the new Dish design that the new Xbox controllers bring, same as the Elite controllers. Your thumb can roll around in it which helps avoid blisters since other D-Pads over time can start to hurt due to the corners and fast rubbing between the D-Pad layout.

haven't touched either controller so no idea.

The one concern I have is the PS5 buttons look too smooth and very hard plastic with the clear finish. Hopefully they feel the same as the PS4.

Azzanation said:

I don't like either Xbox or PS D-Pads. However i am more a fan of the new Dish design that the new Xbox controllers bring, same as the Elite controllers. Your thumb can roll around in it which helps avoid blisters since other D-Pads over time can start to hurt due to the corners and fast rubbing between the D-Pad layout.

You're the first and only that has mentioned blistering.

I preferred ps dpad back in the day but I think the series x|s dpad could be the best yet.

I just actually have to play a fighter now. Perhaps I'll try to emulate some old ps1 and PS2 Street Fighter games. 

ironmanDX said:
Azzanation said:

I preferred ps dpad back in the day but I think the series x|s dpad could be the best yet.

I just actually have to play a fighter now. Perhaps I'll try to emulate some old ps1 and PS2 Street Fighter games. 

It might be just me, however in my youth i use to get blisters all the time on the SNES, N64 and PS1 due to longevity and how hardcore i was with the games, mainly fighters would cause my thumb to go red and blister. The corners on the Dpad would eventually wear into your thumb. Its why i prefer the Dish design as it helps eliminates this issue.

Around the Network

I always thought the D on xbox controllers are more of an after thought, that it was put there for the sole purpose of "if absolutely needed" you have that a dpad option.

Or it was put there for extra buttons (switching, items and weapons, etc).

But finally with the XsX it actually feels like they put thought and design into it. This is the first time I can say I prefer to the XsX Dpad over the PS d-pad.

我是广州人

Azzanation said:
ironmanDX said:

It might be just me, however in my youth i use to get blisters all the time on the SNES, N64 and PS1 due to longevity and how hardcore i was with the games, mainly fighters would cause my thumb to go red and blister. The corners on the Dpad would eventually wear into your thumb. Its why i prefer the Dish design as it helps eliminates this issue.

Cant fault that, for comfort its probably a better design (less chance of getting blisters).
However your actions are more precise with the playstation Dpad.
The Nintendo Dpads, with the cross bar design, also resulted in blisters (actually worse than the PS d-pad imo).

Dish or Crossbar Dpad (nintendo) dont have the same precision as the keys being seperated like on the PS controllers, imo.
Something thats pretty important for fighting games.

Also any controller, can give blisters. If used heavily for prolonged time, with enough force applied.

Azzanation said:
ironmanDX said:

No, not just you. If my post came across as not believing you, it's actually the opposite. I had the same issues when I was younger with the ps1 and 2. 

ironmanDX said:

No, not just you. If my post came across as not believing you, it's actually the opposite. I had the same issues when I was younger with the ps1 and 2. 

Its all good, i read it wrong, i through i was the only one with this issue but glad to see i am not alone here.

JRPGfan said:

Cant fault that, for comfort its probably a better design (less chance of getting blisters).
However your actions are more precise with the playstation Dpad.
The Nintendo Dpads, with the cross bar design, also resulted in blisters (actually worse than the PS d-pad imo).

Dish or Crossbar Dpad (nintendo) dont have the same precision as the keys being seperated like on the PS controllers, imo.
Something thats pretty important for fighting games.

Also any controller, can give blisters. If used heavily for prolonged time, with enough force applied.

I cant tell the difference in the precision of D-Pads, especially with 1st party controllers.. they all react the same and do the exact same job in my opinion, PS D-Pad are no different to Nintendos, its just 4 buttons. The only thing i notice is with heavy use, especially in fighting games. The D-Pad design that Nintendo, Sony and Xbox (Until now) use which is the traditional Plus design, actually can cause blisters when rolling your thumb around trying to get moves off over and over again. Its why i am all in favor of the Dish design as it seems to eliminate that problem or at least improve on it.

I wont know if the new designs will cause the same issues as i don't play fighting games as hardcore as i use to in the old days but from what i can tell, Nintendo and Sony haven't changed there designs so i will assume heavy use will still cause these issues, however the new Xbox Series controller remains to be seen.

Cobretti2 said:

The one concern I have is the PS5 buttons look too smooth and very hard plastic with the clear finish. Hopefully they feel the same as the PS4.

That's exactly my issue. I'll be playing my fighting games on xbox this gen for sure.