By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does Nintendo Switch have the best-selling console of all time?

I believe Nintendo Switch sales are higher than the Nintendo DS which has had the best sales of all time (but which was caught up by the PS2 because it had the best longevity).
But it's just crazy for a console offered at 299 euros against 150 euros for the Nintendo DS

Around the Network

No.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Its got some good... Sales dynamics.

Will be very difficult, but the Switch definitely has a shot.

Toi tu aimes bien mettre Nintendo et Sony en face à face à chaque fois sans que cela ne soit nécessaire. ?
C'est pas bien d'enflammer les forums, ils le sont déjà assez comme ça frère.

Around the Network

Don't think so.

Nop.

It's best selling console good

I usually don't post at these hours - because I should be looong asleep by now, honestly. But I'll make an exception today, due to insomnia, even if I may be putting my foot in my mouth by speaking too much.

First of all, the PS5 has gotten off to a good start, but that doesn't take away the merits of the Switch - or any other console, for that matter. So try not to feel insecure about it. Switch is selling pretty well, it's more than fine that you feel good about that, enjoy it! That success is there and is still going to be there for a while, no matter what other consoles achieve in the meantime (with the permission of the cliff, of course =P).

Now, other consoles are going to be successful too, be they the PS5 or the Series X|S or (more probably) both. So it doesn't matter which one of the three sells more, because things are looking good for all three of them right now. And that's always a good thing, no matter which your console of preference is. In the end, it doesn't matter if Switch sells more than X console, or if PS5 sells more than Y console, or if Xbox Series X|S sells more than Z console, as long as all of them sell at least reasonably well. That (all consoles selling well) is the best case scenario for the industry as a whole, including us as gamers, so we should all be celebrating any success, regardless of which console achieves it.

So try to think about this in a colder manner: if PS5 ends up selling more than the successful Switch, what are you losing? Absolutely nothing. The only difference is that the bragging rights of one fanbase would transfer to the other fanbase, that's all. But, in the end, bragging rights are pointless and superfluous, and the only reason why they exist is because we humans, unlike any other animal species on this planet, are intelligent and self-conscious. Thence, it's not enough for us to just exist and keep ourselves alive, we need something else: we need to feel that our lives are meaningful.

In order to achieve that feeling of meaningfulness, we either deny and play down the merits of others, or become aware of our own merits. For the purpose of this post, however, I will only take into account the second option, because the first one just sucks. So, in the process of becoming aware of our own merits, we usually go further and extrapolate, therefore we take into account not only our own merits, but also the achievements related to the things we like: our football team, our console manufacturer... And that's perfectly normal, because it helps us build our own identity as individuals.

But there are some things that are more important than others, and having bragging rights about the achievements of other people or entities is not a particularly relevant one. What we ourselves do in our daily life to make our lives more meaningful is way more relevant than what our football team, our console manufacturer, etc. do, because that doesn't affect our lives. What we do does.

So to finish this: Switch is flying off the shelves, PS5 has the biggest console launch record and Xbox Series X|S has the biggest Xbox launch ever. Which one of them ends up selling more at the end doesn't really matter at all, because, for the first time in years, literally everyone has something to be happy about. Why not just enjoy this sweet moment? =)

PS: I'm sorry if I said something inappropriate or crossed some line, like when mentioning the insecurity - I don't know you, so I obviously don't know how you feel. What I wrote here is just the impression I had after seeing several threads speaking about the same topic, and that impression may very well be wrong.

Last edited by Verter - on 26 November 2020

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Switch will eventually become the best selling system of all time.