By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox series S Ray-tracing question BO cold war

Tagged games:

Il keep it installed they will possibly do an update otherwise why have instalation files for it? I skipped last years COD this one is brilliant wish things were more clear on S versions. Is it possible Microsoft is drowning out S details to promote x

One thing to note I'm really surprised at the graphics on the S 

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:

Il keep it installed they will possibly do an update otherwise why have instalation files for it? I skipped last years COD this one is brilliant wish things were more clear on S versions. Is it possible Microsoft is drowning out S details to promote x

One thing to note I'm really surprised at the graphics on the S 

If you still have space in the SSD then sure keep it, if RT is going to be added we may hear something in couple months at most.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Barozi said:

The versions tested were 1.004.000 on PS5 and 1.0.3.0 on Xbox Series X|S (both were using the latest version at the time of testing). The 120fps mode was captured at 1080p. Ray tracing was enabled in the 60fps mode tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X which uses a form of ray tracing for certain shadows. Xbox Series S doesn’t have a 120fps mode or a ray tracing mode.”

https://www.essentiallysports.com/call-of-duty-cold-war-a-comparison-of-frame-rate-and-ray-tracing-on-ps5-and-xbox-series-x-s-esports-news/

Though it sounds like you're not missing out on much. The ray tracing is supposed to be very subtle and only has a minor effect on shadows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnW_GmGIv1c

Unfortunate that it have the pack to download but can't use it. Wasn't smartdelivery supposed to download what was the version adequate to the HW?

Smart Delivery is getting the same game for two generations of Xbox hardware. They are marketing that because it was not common in previous generations.

My guess is by default Series S will only download files the platform can use. Essentially a recommended install. However, users can download additional files if they want but can't use them.

The only scenario I can think of where someone on a Series S would download every file, maybe they plan on saving all the content to an external memory unit and will use it (or copy it) on a Series X as well. Either way, I would assume Series S does not get Series X content by default.

Edit: I responded without looking at the debate. So I will leave my post but responses may not be needed.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Unfortunate that it have the pack to download but can't use it. Wasn't smartdelivery supposed to download what was the version adequate to the HW?

Smart Delivery is getting the same game for two generations of Xbox hardware. They are marketing that because it was not common in previous generations.

My guess is by default Series S will only download files the platform can use. Essentially a recommended install. However, users can download additional files if they want but can't use them.

The only scenario I can think of where someone on a Series S would download every file, maybe they plan on saving all the content to an external memory unit and will use it (or copy it) on a Series X as well. Either way, I would assume Series S does not get Series X content by default.

Edit: I responded without looking at the debate. So I will leave my post but responses may not be needed.

Yep, seems like Activision didn't even use Smart Delivery, and also that I misunderstood what SD was supposed to be, my bad on it. Still who knows, maybe Acti will patch allowing RT to be used on Series S, from what we know it does have RT capabilities right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Somebody posted screenshot of the various updates, I wonder if the one for HD Textures is relevant to Series S?
This is the Series version in the first place, so minimum texture set should be based on Series S, with Series X using bigger textures?
I see complaints about size of Series S SSD but the saving grace should be not needing to store the full textures for 4K on Series X.
Anyways, just noticed that as it was also larger than the Raytracing update itself, around 38 GB which could be nice to keep off SSD.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Yep, seems like Activision didn't even use Smart Delivery, and also that I misunderstood what SD was supposed to be, my bad on it. Still who knows, maybe Acti will patch allowing RT to be used on Series S, from what we know it does have RT capabilities right?

Well I am waiting on Digital Foundry or some other deep analysis of the latest CoD. From what I've seen the RT has little impact visually so they may not bother bringing it to Series S given it will be a hit to resolution and maybe performance.

I suspect developers are struggling to get the most out of these new Xbox consoles. Which is pretty common in a new gen. So maybe future Series S titles will seem less compromised.

Either way, what's most important is the games just play well on Series S and show a significant leap over base Xbox One and PS4. I think the Series S version is doing that even without the RT shadows.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)